Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 To tag or not to tag? >

To tag or not to tag?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

To tag or not to tag?

Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Default RE: To tag or not to tag?

ORIGINAL: germain

If you did the skull surgery would you tag it?

Serious side. Yes I would keep looking for it and yes, I would tag it if I found it. I would use nose plugs though when opened it up. Now if it had a disease after I opened it, I would not tag it and go call the GC and have them meet me and make arangements of some sort. I would still be in legal cause I didn't move the deer. I will not take the deer to them. They would have to come to me though. Cause I am not goanna tag that deer.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

agree
Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hung_Bear

ORIGINAL: germain

Two different subjects here.A diseased deer compared to a "bad hit" found after spoil.Question for ya huggy bear,if you made a bad hit and found your buck with bad meat would you tag it and keep the rack or walk away?
If I made a bad shot and couldn't find it after about 2hrs. I wouldn't waiste any more time on it.... If I found it the next day by accidentand it was a big buck. I would most likely take my bow and license home and come back with a sawzall and do some skull surgery.But I am sure not gutting it open while it is bloated.

Well there hung bear, or should I sayGeorgepoker or Lead poisoner, we now know who you are! That graphic was the giveaway.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Well there hung bear, or should I sayGeorgepoker or Lead poisoner, we now know who you are! That graphic was the giveaway.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I found a rotting deer with anice rack I would cut the antlers off and take them home. Why not? The meat is of no value but the antlers do have value and leaving them to be chewed away by rodents is a waste. They could be used to make a nice display, knife handles, rattling horns or just a conversation piece. Now whether I was the one who delivered the shot that eventually killed the deer or if someone else did, it wouldn't make any difference to me as far as tagging it. I won't be putting my tag on a rotted deer and as far as I'm concerned it would take an idiot of a game warden with a Barney Fife mentalityto give me a ticket for it. I think I would fight a ticket like that all the way to a jury trial just to be a pain in the you know what. I wouldn't care if it cost me thousands just to drag the warden to court and publicly show him to be the idiot he is.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may not like it but in Pa that would be illegal possession of wildlife parts and you'd get prosecuted with no chance of winning.Once again,I'm not debating the ethics or the law,just stating that it's illegal to remove and possess the antlers from a deer you didn't legally harvest and tag.Some youngsters were just prosecuted and found guilty of that very thing around here.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

You may not like it but in Pa that would be illegal possession of wildlife parts and you'd get prosecuted with no chance of winning.Once again,I'm not debating the ethics or the law,just stating that it's illegal to remove and possess the antlers from a deer you didn't legally harvest and tag.Some youngsters were just prosecuted and found guilty of that very thing around here.
There is always a chance to win a case in court. But win or loose it would show the idiocy of some tin horn, no common sense fool who would ticket for such a trivial thing. I can just imagine how much fun a lawyer would havewith the warden. He'd make him look like a jerk in no time and I'd bet any jury ever assembled would refuse to convict for such nonsense. That is if the judge didn't simply dismiss the case and repremand the wardenand prosecutor long before that happened. I've got to believe common sense would win in the end.

BTW somebody tell me if it really is illegal to cut the antlers off from a deer you find dead in the woods. Whatmorons could produce a law like that?What about if you find a shed? What fool is going to tell me that thisit's wrong to take it home? So what if you find a patch of deer hair caught on a barbed wire fence and you want to take it home to make fishing flies. I suppose these idiots would want to ticket you for that too huh? Well assuming you didn't tag the hair of course.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sheds are legal to keep as of about two years ago.Removing the antlers from a dead deer and keeping them is absolutely,positively considered illegal possession of wildlife parts.Unless the WCO blows the investigation and arrest,you will be convicted and no judge could rule otherwise.It doesn't matter if you,I or the judge feels it's a stupid law.The law is what it is and it's illegal to take the rack from a deer unless it's legally tagged.

It's a clearly written law and I'm afraid the only one that would look stupid is the one trying to fight it.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Sheds are legal to keep as of about two years ago.Removing the antlers from a dead deer and keeping them is absolutely,positively considered illegal possession of wildlife parts.Unless the WCO blows the investigation and arrest,you will be convicted and no judge could rule otherwise.It doesn't matter if you,I or the judge feels it's a stupid law.The law is what it is and it's illegal to take the rack from a deer unless it's legally tagged.

It's a clearly written law and I'm afraid the only one that would look stupid is the one trying to fight it.
O.K. so you convinced me. You have morons making some of your laws. Sorry...
Old 03-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thereis absolutely nothing stupid about fighting against a moronic law and/oran idiotic enforcement of a law. What would be stupid, not to mention spineless,would beto just blindly accept such nonsense. Besides, a jury can refuse to convict someone even if they believe they are guilty. If the jury decides it just doesn't make sense to convict the person they are within their right to find "not guilty" even though the person is indeed guilty. A judge has the right to do the same.

I have a pile of antlers in the garage and though they were all legally killedand taggedover many years.I doubt though I have a single tag for any of them. Especially the older ones. Tags were thrown away years ago. So I guess I'm a real serious poacher to some then right? Possesing antlers without out a tag oh my!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.