Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PGC SAYS DEER ARE STARVING >

PGC SAYS DEER ARE STARVING

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC SAYS DEER ARE STARVING

Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PGC SAYS DEER ARE STARVING

Deer handler,you're the first to ever come on here and claim there's more land open to hunting today than in the past.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:30 PM

There is around the suburban areas. Some might be special regulation for use of bows only,Open to the public and not SGL.
But there is more land open.
In 2001 I think they purchashed allmost 7000 more acres to add to the SGL. 2005 they purchased another 160 acres. So yes we are getting more land to hunt and it will increase the data of DPSM.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm willing to bet that for every acre that's been opened to hunting in the sra's,at least another acre has been lost do to development.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you think that the land purcheased for game lands wasn't hunted prior to being purchased?Again,I'm willing to bet that more than 7000 acres were also closed during that same time period.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DougE

Do you think that the land purcheased for game lands wasn't hunted prior to being purchased?Again,I'm willing to bet that more than 7000 acres were also closed during that same time period.
I know for a fact that most land that is adjacent to SGL and the state forest are posted heavy by their land owners. And as you stated. Every couple acres gained an acre is lost in the suburbs. Now this can also increase the deer killed per square mile. The deer are forced to move where they are not protected from land that was protecting them. But we are allways getting more new land to hunt. If the deer was starving,Why would we still see 40 to 50 healthy deer on 10 acre lots in the suburban?If the habitat is that bad why do these deer stay here? I have read that the average number of deer on a deer farm is 1 deer per6 acres I believe I read. They have no problem with over browseing. 640 acres in a square mile. That's over 100 DPSM on somegame ranches without a problem on habitat. These people do this for a living. You think they don't know what they are doing? They have to. Their lives depend on this.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do get a kick out of biologist when they say it takes 30-40 acres to keep a 165 lb deer alive . My grand father feed 40 1200 lb cows on 65 acres for most of his life ,I never foundone starvedto deathor even one frozen to death either.I sure wish I could have learned his secret before he died. [8D]
Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 PM

One more thing, When they do the DPSM it should only be done on SGL and SF. The reason is because you know you are guaranteed to be allowed to hunt there. Where if they take places that are not permitted to behunted what good is that for the sportsman? Your counting deer that is not allowed to be hunted. So your data is wrong again about the truth of how many deer are actually on land that is allowed to be hunted.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deer_handler

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

Here let me show you the antlerless harvests for a few counties over the past twenty years or so and then you tell us how they have over harvested the does in your home county of Clinton or in my area of Elk County.

All of the data is in harvests per square mile so it can be compared in an equal manner.

County………….…….82-86…….……87-91………..….92-96………..….97-01

Allegheny……………..1.5……………..2.5â €¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦6.8……………...8.1
Elk…………………….3.3……………..5. 3………………4.0……………...3.2
Cameron………………3.2……………..5.4†¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦2.0……………...1.5
Clinton………………...2.4……………..4. 0………………1.8……………...1.9

Go ahead and explain to use how they have been able to harvest three or four times as many does per square mile in and around the city street of Pittsburgh for over ten years, without over harvesting the does, while harvesting less then two does per squaremile

R.S. Bodenhorn
May I say that is because more land was purchased and opened for hunters to increase the harvest report. Land that was closed to hunters in the past has became open for them. Special regulation areas as to decline the numbers of deer human casualties. If you look thru the new areas that have been opened for hunters you will see these counties above have had more land open to harvest more deer to increase your data. They open land where hunting was not permited before as in the suburbans. Your goanna have lots of deer being harvested and increasing your data. Now if you did not include these new lands open to hunting, What would your data chart show? It's like opening a 3 or 4 mile area that's never been hunted and taking50 to 100deer from that new area and then adding it to your data above. And yes that will increase the numbers of deer per SQ. miles for that county. The data is not as accurate as it might seem.
Just a thought to ponder on.
Are you suggesting that more land has been made available to hunt in Allegheny County? If so where?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug,15 more hunters per 160 or so acres was extreme unless you're on a SGL down hereso let's use the top end 600 acres.Down around here the SGL's get hammered in rifle season.You wouldn't believe it and I won't step foot on there.I hear people from the SW always commenting on access problems for deer hunting.Rsb used a chart on the collared deer study for low acess areas.He said there weren't many being killed by hunters in those places.That would only make sense if those deer have escape routes onto posted land to protect them.99% of posted land I've seen has far less hunters then public land.The stats and charts that RSB shows are interesting but sometimes there's more to it and that's where discussion comes in.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

And really how many people would shoot a doe with a big yellow ribbon around its neck?

I know Doug would crawl Thur flaming ashes & over broken bottles to killone of thetree eaten beast but who else?

Quick Reply: PGC SAYS DEER ARE STARVING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.