Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks >

Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Man O man do I have a coyote problem! My wife and I took an ATV ride yesterday to check for deer/bear prints in the snow. I rode 3 miles and found 1 set of deer tracks and about 1000 different sets of yote prints. They are absolutely everywhere and there is definitely a problem. This afternoon I get a new anschutz 17 HMR so yotes beware.. Fair warning
Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

WHat part of NY? I used to hunt Big Flats and my buddy who owned the land said they never saw much of them. Don't think we heard them while deer hunting either.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Big problem in the past 2 years in West NH as well. Remember 1 yote makes alot of tracks when on a scent - the 1000 trackes are likely 20 or so animals - still alot running deer. Good luck - I hope you kill them all.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 PM

well, I hunt in hamilton, ny .. and there are yotes everywhere.. My brother shot 2 of them during shotgun season. I believe they were the same 2 we kept seeing day after day. The next morning.. there was another 1 running through the woods. And he was around all day, but couldn't get a shot at him.. I would have loved too. So, people say that there not here or never really see them.. your not looking hard enough.. There all over !! Also alot in PA just north of scranton, around lenoxville. People have claimed to see a MT. lion.. but back to the old story..Lets see a pic. or something.

My 2 Cents

Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Nord QC Bouman
Good luck - I hope you kill them all.
Please, Who would want to KILL ALL of anything?? Thats a bad statement to make. Then how would you be able to ever hunt them again??? Wasn't the buffalo and wolf destruction bad enough? I just hate hearing horrible statments like that from a fellow hunter who are supposed to be conservationists.

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 AM

I don't know how legal this would be in your area, but I've heard about some people I know getting rid of a bunch of coyotes this way.

Go buy the biggest triple hooks you can find, you'll need some decent sized ones. Find yourself some small chain or steel cable, and hang hang your hooks about 3 feet off the ground, make sure they are anchored well. Go to your local meat shop and buy some really cheap pork chops, and bait each hook with one.

When the 'yotes jump up to grab the pork chop, the hook catches them by the mouth and they can't get off because their front feet will not be able to touch the ground. These people told me their success rate was about 80% with these things, which is darn good. Keep in mind they were in a remote area so they didn't have to worry about catching little Johnny's black lab.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

I have heard of that also. But that is more for ranchers loosing livestock and not hunters hunting coyotes.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM

You'll never be able to kill them all. The western US has been trying for over 100 years through bounties, poison and mass slaughters. Furthermore, coyotes have the ability to alter their litter sizes to change depending on resources and competition with other individuals. If there is decreased competition (lower coyote density) in an area the next litters born will have many, more young. To stabilize or slightly lower the popoulation 70% of the animals must be removed yearly! Tell me thats feasable. Studies have shown that high coyote densities actually regulates their numbers better than intensive harvesting. Removal of a few problem individuals, and their learned behavior, will prove the best technique. Besides, who cares if they sometimes feed on deer. Black bears, avian predators, cats, dogs and fishersfeed on fawns as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
jf5

Yotes are in New England big time and are here to stay. They do cover allot of miles so you see allot of tracks. We are overun in many areas with them. Good luck with the hunts, they are not easy.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 AM

I would like to shoot and kill alot of the yotes but I could never do that hook trick to any animal. Guess the soft side of me comes out more often nowadays... but I guess if they were eating my livestock, the gloves would be off.

Quick Reply: Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.