Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
The big one strikes again >

The big one strikes again

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The big one strikes again

Old 12-02-2002, 05:15 PM

Default The big one strikes again

My first day back from lastweek's opening week of gun season. I am still disappointed from it. Last Sunday a week ago I went up on my farm in Tucker County, WV. There were 3 wall hangers, 2 eights and a beautiful 12 pointer that I actually seen myself. Come Monday they were never seen again. Matter of fact on Sunday scouting there were more than 10 bucks on the farm. As of last Saturday the end of the first week only 2 4 pointers were taken. Somebody explain this to me? I took everybody's advice and trick's such as the scent dripper, the portable blind, and 100 gallons of VA acorns. Only to end up with nothing. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to do? Give me some help guys? I am almost ready to throw in the towel. By the way the rutt was over in North Central WV before the season started.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The big one strikes again

Ask yourself this question. How do you think those big boys got to be that large to begin with! They know when the guns come out to go hide, and become nocturnal. Personnally I don't believe in baiting nor is it legal in NY. But thats your choice. I don't think it helps much on big bucks anyways. I'd hunt the thickest areas possible you have on your farm, and where the area may be getting the least amount of pressure. I don't know about the VA rut, but I saw blood in doe urine this past wknd up here in the snow. They are coming into their 2nd heat. Its too early to throw in the towel after the first week. Heck my hunting season started the end of Sept. I got 1 wknd left, and I'm deerless thus far. I've only went deerless one other time in my life 7 yrs ago. I'm frustrated as heck, but I never throw in the towel. So hang in there, try to figure out something else. And to heck with the bait piles!!!! Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 02:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will make you feel better.Yesterday I sat 12 hours in a 15 degree chill factor and 20 MPH wind. Seen one 80Lb button buck walking thru the briars.So much for over deer pop in Pa.I've hunted 45 years and it gets worse every year.just five years ago the same farm you would see 30 or more a day.Yep as some guy shot the button 10 minutes after it passed me.He was displaying it at the local family store.It had 4 slug holes in it 2 in the guts,one in the hind quarters and the head was half missing, Already burger.I'm not even going out today,just totally disgusted
Old 12-03-2002, 07:37 AM

rmjones, I think your problem is a simple one, with a simple solution. Just my opinion based on my experiences, but the biggest reson I see for guys having a lack of success where there's a lot of deer before the season, is overscouting. If you saw 10 bucks on the farm on Sunday, you probably spooked 10 bucks. Deer know you are a predator, and if all of the sudden they start seeing lots of people on the farm where they saw few all year, they're going nocturnal, or they're moving to another farm. I'd leave the acorns, scent dripper, portable blinds, ect at home. Do your scouting AFTER the season, over the winter. When I hunt a good spot, it's the first time I'vee been in there all year. If you have a farm capable of holding 10 bucks, you can safely assume there's going to be plenty of deer there every year. Why go in and spook the heck out of them just to get a look? Get a look opening morning after you shoot one. If someone goes in and walks around scouting one of my spots before I hunt there, I forget about it, and hunt somewhere else. No need at all to go into the woods all fall until the hunt, especially if you know the farm well, and nothing drastic, like timbering, changes anything. You're just shooting yourself in the foot. If it's your farm, I assume you know where the funnels are, where the fields are, where the bedding areas are, hang your stands over the summer, then stay out until opening morning. Go in with the wind in your face, to your stand, and you'll catch them off guard. Guys who aren't seeing deer in good areas are usually spooking them before they have a chance to hunt, IMO. Some guys who complain about seeing no deer are just hutning a bad spot, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case with your farm. The more times someone walks into the woods, the less deer you'll see, that's a fact.

"In heaven, even the fish have antlers"
Old 12-04-2002, 04:22 PM

I agree with 6ptsika. When you leave scent or spook them it changes everything. catch them offguard. do what he says and don't smell like eggs and bacon and your house and your dog when you get in the tree to hunt.