HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   moose in mass! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/175995-moose-mass.html)

scarp262 01-18-2007 03:55 PM

moose in mass!

Well for all of you that dont know there has been a growing population of moose inmass,and even new yorkthis is a new thing they just started appearing in the past few years and i was wondering if any body has seen any or any pictures.

Thanks, Mike

jf5 01-19-2007 09:17 AM

RE: moose in mass!

I saw one during the 1996 shotgun season...he was a small bull about 20 yards away..I was shocked and thought my friends would not beleive me back then. I have not seen one in MA since, but see the sign everywhere now. Lots of rubs and droppings, even some fur here and there. Its becoming a common thing in many parts of the state.

Mike Hill 01-19-2007 10:14 AM

I know a few years back one got hit by a car in Raynham Mass on either RT. 18 or 44 I can't remember which. Story and photos were in the local news paper. Brockton Enterprize.. Now thats pretty far east almost to the cape. The fish and game denied it and were pretty red faced when this happened. I have seen them every now and then in FLa. Mass. as well. Again thats N. West Mass. where they say there is a large population.

Western MA Hunter 01-19-2007 12:12 PM

Saw one the last day of muzzleloader in Blandford. Ran into our drive...
Walked up on 3 last year in Blandford as well.
There was alsoa cow hanging out in East Lee quite a bit this hunting season... I got some pics on the disposable.
Every year they are getting hit on the MassPike around Blandford / Otis. I know many guys who have seen them hunting out that way. There have been several hit in Lanesboro the past couple of years and one was actually hit a couple of months ago on Washington Mtn Road near the Becket line and another on 7/20 in Lenox early September this year too. Both were nice bulls too.

PredatorTrapper 01-19-2007 12:28 PM

Massachusetts roughly has a moose population of around 700-800 animals. They have been seen in Connecticut as well. The largest density is not in Western MA, it is in Northern Worcester County. Some people mistakenly shoot them for deerat the Quabbin hunt, so I've heard.

jf5 01-19-2007 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

Saw one the last day of muzzleloader in Blandford. Ran into our drive...
Walked up on 3 last year in Blandford as well.
There was alsoa cow hanging out in East Lee quite a bit this hunting season... I got some pics on the disposable.
Every year they are getting hit on the MassPike around Blandford / Otis. I know many guys who have seen them hunting out that way. There have been several hit in Lanesboro the past couple of years and one was actually hit a couple of months ago on Washington Mtn Road near the Becket line and another on 7/20 in Lenox early September this year too. Both were nice bulls too.
I see tons of moose sign in Otis. Thats where I saw the bull in 1996..

One side question..Blandford is writtenpermission only huntingtown right??

jamiebuck 01-20-2007 12:18 PM

seen 3 in the quabbin hunt 2cows and a nice bull ,also hunting the becket otis line seen rubs all threw this area plus some scat:) there out there hoppfully they will have a lottery hunt for them;)

sybigbuck 01-20-2007 02:23 PM

There are two last week headed for haverhill mass ,they went south out of hampstead..

djgj200 01-23-2007 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: PredatorTrapper

Massachusetts roughly has a moose population of around 700-800 animals. They have been seen in Connecticut as well. The largest density is not in Western MA, it is in Northern Worcester County. Some people mistakenly shoot them for deerat the Quabbin hunt, so I've heard.
My dad had one almost run him over this year in the Quabbin as there was a group of guys nearby doing a drive. It was a monster bull moose. Once it saw my dad about 10-15 ft. away it bolted off in another direction and my brother got a glimpse of its rearend about 50 yards out about 20 seconds later.

I've only heard of a moose being shot in the quabbin once, and it was when the state had just started putting on the Quabbin hunts.

Personally, I have yet to see a moose.

PredatorTrapper 01-23-2007 05:48 PM

A moose, maybe more than one, was shot this past hunting season in quabbin.

arnus777 01-23-2007 06:56 PM

there is a huge bull up behind my house he would look good on the wall

djgj200 01-23-2007 07:52 PM

A moose, maybe more than one, was shot this past hunting season in quabbin.
oh i wouldn't know. i haven't heard anything on what happened at the quabbin hunts this year. all i know is noone i hunted with got anything. if one did get shot, ill hear about it soon enough.

Western MA Hunter 01-24-2007 06:34 AM

JF5... I believe it is only written permission... we hunt on a friend's land who hunts w/ us. They have about 300 acres.
What will happen to the guys who shoot the moose in Quabbin?

PredatorTrapper 01-24-2007 10:35 AM

It usually depends on the EPO, the demeanor of the hunter and whether or not they stick around. Could result in a charge of negligence, $50 fine, loss of hunting license for 1 year, or worst case scenario arrest and confiscation of weapons and vehicle. Many people in MA don't realize any violation of MGL's or CMR's is an arrestable offence. If you cannot correctly identify your target in the forest, you shouldn't be out hunting. It is people like this whogive the rest ofus hunters a bad rap in the public eye. It leads to them fearing to be shot at or have thier dog, horse or goats shot.

1falcon 01-24-2007 07:53 PM

I have to agree with you Trapper. It's pretty scary to here hunters can't tell the differance between a deer and a moose, pretty sad. Alot of tree stands get stolen out here also, mine was one. It was a few years ago. I was in my stand the whole time during bow season than on the finnal day one hunter found me. No others ever saw me except this guy. I left my stand in the tree saturday nightand Sundayfor shotgun on monday. Need i say more? The ass that saw me stole my stand. Should have known better. Bow hunting will never be the same again. I still know what this dip-crap looks like and I'm watching for you. I'm sure alot of you guys have hadthe same problem?

Western MA Hunter 01-25-2007 07:06 AM

I can't imagine mistaking a moose for a deer. I have had them come by and even in the thicker cover it has been extremely easy to tell.
I have yet to have a stand stolen... But I do have 3 still out... i hope they are still there... I do not understand why fellow hunters would do things like that....
I have heard of Anti's taking them though...

jf5 01-25-2007 10:31 AM

I can't imagine mistaking a moose for a deer. I have had them come by and even in the thicker cover it has been extremely easy to tell.
Me too. When I saw that one in '96 while deer hunting it took me about 1.5 seconds to ID it as a moose. And it was the first moose I have ever seen in person. Not many 525lbs whitetails in MA these days..:D

arnus777 01-25-2007 05:13 PM

i think there should be a lottery moose permit system so we could hunt them in ma

1falcon 01-25-2007 06:13 PM

LOL...if thy are shooting moose now, which I beleive is just rumor, i'd hate to be out there if they allow moose hunting..may get my butt shot off,scence they can't tell the deferance between a moose and a deer as it is now.

PredatorTrapper 01-26-2007 06:43 AM

Why are you scared 1falcon, you resemble a moose? :)

Western MA Hunter 01-26-2007 07:11 AM

I think we'll see a lottery draw system in place down the road w/ the growing population... But I'm sure it will be very limited.

jf5 01-26-2007 08:32 AM

I think we'll see a lottery draw system in place down the road w/ the growing population... But I'm sure it will be very limited.

I think its enevitable. Maybe in the next 5 years or so...

PredatorTrapper 01-26-2007 08:58 AM

Unfortunately a moose season is something that is out of DFW's hands. Being a statute, it has to be a legislature change. The more moose/vehicle accidents and water-donkeys venturing intourban areas just makes a stronger case for the hunting season.

djgj200 01-26-2007 09:43 AM

What will happen to the guys who shoot the moose in Quabbin?
The one I heard about that happened years ago was the judge was an anti and took the guy's gun license and hunting license away for life. I forget if he got any jail time or was fined too.

Many people in MA don't realize any violation of MGL's or CMR's is an arrestable offence. If you cannot correctly identify your target in the forest, you shouldn't be out hunting.
Anycriminal violation of an MGL or CMR is arrestable. A lot of the Chapter 89 and 90MGL's (traffic laws) are civilandyou will only be fined for violating them. Some are criminal and you can and probably will be arrested for such as Unlicensed Operation ofa Motor Vehicle or OUI.

If you violate Chapter 89 Section 9 MGL, your not going to get arrested. It's a stop sign/yield sign/red light violation. They can't arrest on that because its civil.

But you are right. If you can't ID your target, get out of the woods.

1falcon 01-26-2007 04:11 PM

PredatorTrapper!!

1falcon 01-26-2007 04:15 PM

Why are you scared 1falcon, you resemble a moose? :)
What the hell are you talking about??
There are a bunch of nuts out there!! Shot at anything!! Even moose. That's what I'm talking about. You ever had SLUGS fly by yor head?? Well, I have. Once in NewYork State and twice in mass. I was dressed in Full Blaze orange from head to toe. We did manage to catch the kid that shotby me in New York. It's not a very good feeling to have slugs fly buy your head. I ever heard the sound of them flying by. Thats how close the were. I don't see how you can make light of this proublem "TRAPPER"??Was that you shooting at me???

PredatorTrapper 01-27-2007 04:25 PM

Hey 1Falcon, didn't mean to make you mad. It was just a joke. I know that trigger happy hunters is a terrible problem. I was shot at this past November by a phesant hunter. I was on a dirt road wearing blaze orange. They are crazy, and it is scary. And no it wasn't me shooting at you. I make no mistake of correctly identifying my target. :D

1falcon 01-28-2007 05:18 PM

Hello Trapper, I'm sorry, I was in a crapie mood at the time, and took what you had said the wrong way. I should't have taken it out on you!!Again i'm sorry. The rest of what I said was true. At least you got shot at with bird shot! Slugs are pretty scary. I walked the woods today (1/28/07)and found some trees with moose rubs all over them. Than about another hundered yards Ifound at least five separate rubs in this one area. The trees were about 4" in diameter. The trees were in groups of 4-5 each. A couple were about 4 feet apartor more.I'm 6 feet tall and these rubs stood just over my head.I never wen't into this area before. Just pulled of to the side of the road and started wallking the woods. Must be alot of moose out here or I just got lucky..Hope you had a goog day Trapper??

Western MA Hunter 01-30-2007 09:32 AM

I had a slug go right over my head this year... scared the living crap out of me... That was my closest call!

jf5 01-30-2007 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 1falcon

Hello Trapper, I'm sorry, I was in a crapie mood at the time, and took what you had said the wrong way. I should't have taken it out on you!!Again i'm sorry. The rest of what I said was true. At least you got shot at with bird shot! Slugs are pretty scary. I walked the woods today (1/28/07)and found some trees with moose rubs all over them. Than about another hundered yards Ifound at least five separate rubs in this one area. The trees were about 4" in diameter. The trees were in groups of 4-5 each. A couple were about 4 feet apartor more.I'm 6 feet tall and these rubs stood just over my head.I never wen't into this area before. Just pulled of to the side of the road and started wallking the woods. Must be alot of moose out here or I just got lucky..Hope you had a goog day Trapper??
TONS of moose rubs out there. We scouted Oakahm WMA one time in Feb 2006and found about 15 moose rubs all within eyesite of each other. I have a 35MM pic at home where you can see a bunch in one shot.

1996...We had been scouting and finding all these big rubs...man we thought we had a few monster bucks around. When I saw the moose thatseason it all came together. :DI am a little better at telling the difference now....

RustyD02359 01-31-2007 12:21 PM

At the Plymouth County League of Sportsman MTG we resubmitted a letter in regards to Moose & Coyote. Do not know the content of letter because I missed last months but I assume it was Opening Moose and Extending Coyote.

Went for Bear in Sept in Florida MA and forgot about Moose I heard they were lots out in the woods these days but only had a bear come in, no moose.

MACBUCK 01-31-2007 06:50 PM

saw a mature cow moose in bolton ma., in 2001, while deer hunting, shotgun season. it was about 1/4 mile from route 495.........

bbahunter 02-04-2007 10:09 PM

Young bull moose next to my house in 2001

RustyD02359 02-05-2007 07:00 AM

He should have some nice palms by now.

Western MA Hunter 02-05-2007 08:41 AM

My brother in law got a heck of a bull on his cam tracker several years ago... probably 35+". I'll see if I can get the pic to post...
My buddy just had another cow & calf in his yard in Blandford last week.

RustyD02359 02-05-2007 09:20 AM

Well keep playing that romantic music and spreading feromes around so they make lots of little meeses.

bbahunter 02-05-2007 11:15 AM

2 more behind the house 3 years ago.

bbahunter 02-05-2007 11:20 AM

here we go

RustyD02359 02-05-2007 11:32 AM

I'm guessing it was COLD out that night!

Mike Hill 02-05-2007 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: RustyD02359

At the Plymouth County League of Sportsman MTG we resubmitted a letter in regards to Moose & Coyote. Do not know the content of letter because I missed last months but I assume it was Opening Moose and Extending Coyote.

Went for Bear in Sept in Florida MA and forgot about Moose I heard they were lots out in the woods these days but only had a bear come in, no moose.

Rusty where in Fla. Mass did you go bear hunting I own 180 Ac. in Fla. right off of RT.2 behind the old dump. great bear hunting there.