Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Posted land ?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Posted land ?

This week while grouse hunting I was amazed at the amount of posted land I came across.
While I read on here how happy so many of you are with the reduction of the deer herd and the best hunting is yet to come.
I guess you believe these land owners posted their land so that they & only they could shoot all of thesedeer themselves.
Iam wondering if its not that they posted their land to keep you from killing the deer they have left ?
Any land owners or others with ideas out there that want to say why they think the land is posted?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Posted land ?

There are so many reasons.I've heard the following,
1-trash
2-not asking permission
3-atv's
4-lawsuits
5-overcrowding
6-unsafe behavior/hunting in the safety zone shooting toward the house
5-and yes some want to protect from overharvesting.
6-some landowners are getting into Q.D.M which requires participation by hunters whether it's shooting bucks only to their program and or not shooting button bucks,etc.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:43 PM

Why I asked was of the three posted lands that I asked to bird hunt on all gave me permission .When I asked why they posted their land all said that there were no deer left.

Each of these places were bordering state game lands and the cover was better on the private land do to timbering in the past.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is happening in places that's why I think some changes are needed in deer management and in some cases public/private land managed differently.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I talked to one of my landowners yesterday and she was dissapointed when I told her I had killed 4 does on her property (5 acres)and my buddy had killed 4 nearby. we are the only two that have permission because she doesnt trust anyone else to be safe. I guess it depends on where you are.

Near my camp, some of the landowners post because they have enough ground for their friends and family and not much more. With them, it's not the deer numbers it's merely a matter of being able to hunt their own ground without interference. Most other posted property I know of is accessable by merely asking well before the season. Archery is better recieved aroundsouthwestern PAthan gun hunting but it is more populated around here.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

alot of land is NOW being posted due to lack of deer. im seeing guys posting "NO DOE HUNTING" signs now...if they ARENT posted signs. i know one guy that sends a letter out to everyone he allows to hunt his land(hes got a huge chunk) reminding them not to shot any does on his property.

thats what its come down to. the hunters and landowners know what is going on in the area and know what they want. PA had an out of whack deer herd in terms of buck to doe ratio..AREAS of the state had too many deer...but they took it tooooo far in most areas IMO. we will see what the future brings.....the PGC needs funds...if i were them id do whatever it takes to make hunters happy...not make them angry...i know lots of guys that quit hunting or are going to quit hunting because of the deer situation. im sure thats going on across the state...license sales are going to drop...weather they admit it or show the TRUE statistics or not we will see....probably an ESTIMATED number...just like how they ESTIMATE how many deer are killed each year. how do they expect to manage a deer herd in a state where they ESTIMATE the number of deer killed EVERY year?!?!?!!? impossible...simply impossible
Old 01-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I fear that PA will become like Texas in the near future.

Guys will start leasing property to insure they have a good place to hunt.

Property owners will realize they have a gold mine. Charging tresspass feesor offering their land for lease. Especially if they realize hunters will pay to hunt. Big antlered bucks could mean big bucks in the farmer's pocket.

It would be easier for the property owner to regulate who hunts his land and make some extra cash at the same time.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

We posted our land because we have8 hunters in our camp, and it's less than 90 acres. There is also a bunch of state land near by as well. But we keep getting people, who think it's OK to hunt where ever they feel like, posted or not!! Well, starting this year, anyone caught hunting on our land will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The jerk that was taking a shot opening day on our land, not 70 yards away from me, was the last straw!! Then some people wonder why others "post" their land!! We do all the work maintaining the place, pay the taxes, and then others think come deer season that they can use your land???? I think not!![:@]
Old 01-15-2007, 09:20 AM

I do think trespassing is a big problem. Of the places I asked to hunt all were shocked that I would even bother to ask for permission.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

the PGC needs funds...if i were them id do whatever it takes to make hunters happy...not make them angry...i know lots of guys that quit hunting or are going to quit hunting because of the deer situation.
So you really think if PGC should please the hunters, even if the general hunting public is a moron and would manage the deer improperly? I feel that if someone quits cause there are a few less deer around in some areas, then we didn't need them to start with.

Quick Reply: Posted land ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.