Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 New York Antler Restrictions State Wide? >

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Old 01-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Curious - is there a penalty for reporting after the 48 hr period?
If so, is it ever enforced?
I always report, but hardly ever within the 48 hrs.

Steve
I don't know but I've never heard of anyone being fined or anything for reporting late. I understand though that many who forget to report within the time will then not report at all for fear of some consequence for reporting late. I think the state would be wise to drop the 48 hour rule. Better to get the info late than never.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree - I think many are afraid of a penalty that either isn't there or isn't enforced.
Therefore they don't report at all - weak excuse, but easy to eliminate as you suggested by a mandatory report before issuing another licsense.
I like Doc's graduated method to give all a chance to get familiar with it.
For any management program to be measured or analyzed for success or change, it must have quantitive AND quality input - more the better.
And we the hunters are the ones that can help furnish it.

Steve
Old 01-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually looking back, I guess my post was a bit redundant. Doc covered what I said with the only difference being he would give out the license but with a fine. That's o.k. too, it would certainly get people's attention. I still say though, forget the fine the point is to get them to report and if they can't get a license without a report then they'll do it. When it comes time to renew your drivers license or your car registration everybody sure seems capable of filling out whatever form(report) is necessary to make sure it happens and if the state was as serious with hunting licenses as with these then I think our little problem would be solved.Maybe if there were a fine and you still didn't get your license until you reported then we'd get over 100% compliance
Old 01-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in favor of alternative methods to address management and improved hunting in our state.Things such as one buck per hunter per entire hunting season(archery,rifle,muzzleloader,late archery).Significantly shortening the rifle season,for the most part the states that accomplish excellent hunting without Antler Restriction's are the ones with short firearms seasons.Why do we need to have 3 weeks plus of rifle hunting? How about doe hunting only in units where the buck take per square mile is below desired levels?How about no hunting at all in units where deer numbers are to low? We can think outside the box! My fear is that when ever any change is suggested people will negatively react from a stance of stubborness not logic or concern for the deer herd or the quality of hunting.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

doesn`t matter what laws they make they will have to enforce them. I haven`t seen a DEC officer in over 5 yrs. As long as there arepochers then laws won`t work without being enforced.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

it should help by letting alot of spikes grow up before being shot....a friend of mine from N.Y. keeps complaining of a wall full of 5 or 6 spikes from years past and not having anything bigger up there....i had to tell him to stop shooting all them little deer then....it's a step in the right direction...............bob
Old 01-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think the DEC would do a thing if you reported your harvest late - they are just happy to get it. I once forgot to report a turkey harvest and called a month later to ask if they still wanted it - they did. Simple fact is, if every hunter reported their harvest, the DEC would have a much better basis for their herd estimates (locally & statewide). I've seen reports as low 40% of harvest are reported. I don't know why hunters don't report - it's simple/easy. Those that complain about DEC herd estimates are propably the same hunters that don't report harvests.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

I don't think the DEC would do a thing if you reported your harvest late - they are just happy to get it. I once forgot to report a turkey harvest and called a month later to ask if they still wanted it - they did. Simple fact is, if every hunter reported their harvest, the DEC would have a much better basis for their herd estimates (locally & statewide). I've seen reports as low 40% of harvest are reported. I don't know why hunters don't report - it's simple/easy. Those that complain about DEC herd estimates are propably the same hunters that don't report harvests.
Great point. The question was asked regarding the penalties for late reporting. The DEC said there aren't any being enforced at this time. Which begs the question, why the heck fire do you have mandatory reporting within 48 hrs of harvest in the first place? If you don't mean it through lack of enforcement, does it not send the completely wrong message to Hunters? FUBAR.

In reality, most hunters who do not report, at least from the complaints that I have heard (and I have heard many), is that the process takes too long. Busy signals, phone mail jail, push this button then that button, and it is not all that difficult to erroneously press the wrong button, and you're forced to start all over again, without clear understanding of whether the report was partially saved or not. The first year I used that 888-game -rpt system, it took me well over an hour to make the report. It was a comedy of electronic errors. First part of the effort I was greeted with busy signals. Then I finally got through, and half way through hearing the schpiel from the State, my cell phone quit. After recharging the phone I called in again, met busy signals again, on the third call of the second try I got through, and went through the 15 minutes of press this button, say your last name, enter your tag# and lic number, etc., etc, I finally completed successfully the report. Sure was more difficult than filling out a form in black ink and dropping it in the mail box.

We have some good ideas coming out on the reporting issue. This is where we need to focus our energies first, IMHO. Heck, NY Outdoor News had an article concerning reporting rates in their most recent issue, and the Q concerning reporting in different regions being all over the lot. I just used the State average of @ 78% compliancy. Could be far worse in other areas. Could be a bit better in some regions too. But improvement is critical because this information is a prerequisite for hope of success in any wildlife management planning.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doctariAFC

...is that the process takes too long.....
I don't buy into the it's too long, too hard, too complicated. Yes there have been some difficulties & issues, but I believe most have been addressed. I too had some difficulty at first (pushed wrong number), but didn't give up and quit. It comes down to plian laziness. A hunter can sit in a tree all day, but not take 2, 5, 10, maybe even 20 min. to report a harvest? They can wade through other phone directories when trying to contact some outdoor store/catalog or company, but not the "complicated" DEC reporting call? Give me a break. Pure laziness. If you have some difficulty, hang up, and try again later. The 48 hour thing to me is more of a request and not a "law" - seeing how they can't really enforce it. As long as they get an accurate reportDEC will be happy. The 48 hour just helps those get it reported quickly before they forget, which we all can do. Those that don't report either don't know or don't care that their report will help the DEC with their job of deer management (more than likely the latter).
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

ORIGINAL: doctariAFC

...is that the process takes too long.....
I don't buy into the it's too long, too hard, too complicated. Yes there have been some difficulties & issues, but I believe most have been addressed. I too had some difficulty at first (pushed wrong number), but didn't give up and quit. It comes down to plian laziness. A hunter can sit in a tree all day, but not take 2, 5, 10, maybe even 20 min. to report a harvest? They can wade through other phone directories when trying to contact some outdoor store/catalog or company, but not the "complicated" DEC reporting call? Give me a break. Pure laziness. If you have some difficulty, hang up, and try again later. The 48 hour thing to me is more of a request and not a "law" - seeing how they can't really enforce it. As long as they get an accurate reportDEC will be happy. The 48 hour just helps those get it reported quickly before they forget, which we all can do. Those that don't report either don't know or don't care that their report will help the DEC with their job of deer management (more than likely the latter).
You know, I don't know how old you are. I am 38. I have no issues beyond the way the system operates, which I have already stated, but, again, I am 38. Average age of a NY deer hunter is 50. Many are older. They spent many, many years with the fill out the report and drop in a mailbox, which is definitely faster and easier for the hunter to report. No so easy for officials to compile. They transferred the workload off the State and onto the Hunter. Fine for younger folks, but, hunters in NYS are not what I would consider a "young" group, and we ain't getting any younger.

Quick Reply: New York Antler Restrictions State Wide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.