Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How about this idiot? >

How about this idiot?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How about this idiot?

Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default How about this idiot?

Apparently this happened in Franklin PA. Ironically Franklin is the home of the PGC's NW field office.

What an idiot!

Pa. Hunter Fined for 'Bear Fever'[/align]

December 19, 2006 - A northwestern Pennsylvania hunter who said he was suffering from "bear fever" was fined more than $1,500 for firing a crossbow and a rifle at a bear in a residential area.

[hr]
Also on 6abc:
Discuss This Story | More Local News | Get 6abctogo | RSS Feeds
[hr]
"You ever hear of buck fever?" Alphonso Lauricia, 72, of Franklin, said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday. "Well, I had bear fever; I don't even know how many shots I fired."
Lauricia paid $1,584 in fines and court costs for the incident that occurred Nov. 21, the second day of bear season, the Pennsylvania Game Commission announced Monday.
Game commission officials said Lauricia spotted the bear in an oak tree while he was getting gas at a station in a residential area of Franklin, about 50 miles south of Erie.
Lauricia went home to retrieve some hunting weapons. He came back and shot at the bear four times with a crossbow, striking it twice, then fired a .308 caliber rifle at the bear several times as it ran away through the neighborhood, game commissioners said.
The oak tree was just four feet from a garage and within 20 yards of two homes. State gaming laws require hunters to be at least 50 yards from occupied buildings before using a crossbow, and at least 150 yards away if they use a gun - unless they have advance permission from the property owner, which Lauricia did not.
"I was very excited," Lauricia said. "In all my 72 years, I never had a shot at a bear before."
A concerned citizen called the Game Commission's northwest regional office in Franklin to report the shooting.
"This is an unfortunate case of an individual disregarding hunting laws and firearms safety in a reckless effort to kill a bear," said Wildlife Conservation Officer Clint Deniker, who responded to the call. "Thankfully, someone got involved and we were able to apprehend the violator."
Lauricia was caught when he brought the bear to the commission's office in Franklin to have it processed and tagged.
"This individual's only concern was killing that bear, apparently at any cost," Deniker said.
Lauricia said he pleaded guilty and paid the fine Friday for citations of unlawful taking of big game, violating a safety zone and trespass on private property while hunting.
(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=4863724
[/align][/align][/align]
Old 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How about this idiot?

In all honesty it's kind a scarey knowing you're sharing the woods with people like this.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I read, the woods were safe from this guy. It was the city streets that were in danger. I hope he never hunts again!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Geez......$1600 bucks was all he was fined for...[:-]
Good thing I don't live in that town and particullary that neiborhood...
Cause for that price, its cheaper doing that, than looking for them in the bush.......
More incidents will be coming if that fine isn't substancially increased.....
Old 12-21-2006, 07:12 AM

What you should find scary is this happened in the city, did the great PA Game Commission get him ,NO of course if you ever tried to call that office you would understand ,because no one answers a phone there!
Did the city police catch an old man running down a city street with a rifle shooting at a bear?? NO----------
This guy guts it , loads it up a takes it to a check station where the quick thinking wardens capture him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get law enforcement work!!!!!!!! Dough nuts for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![]
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: motrin

What you should find scary is this happened in the city, did the great PA Game Commission get him ,NO of course if you ever tried to call that office you would understand ,because no one answers a phone there!
Did the city police catch an old man running down a city street with a rifle shooting at a bear?? NO----------
This guy guts it , loads it up a takes it to a check station where the quick thinking wardens capture him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get law enforcement work!!!!!!!! Dough nuts for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![]
That has to be the mostignorant post I have yet to read [:@]No where in the article does it mention the Police were notified. It's obvious that you have some underlying problems with authority. Maybe you should take on the job if you think you can do it better.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 AM

OHHHHHHHHHHH of course no one called 911 everyone knows no one Franklin has a cell phone. This guy shoots four bolts up in to the air ,god knows where the missing two landed and then runs down the street shooting a high powered rifle and no one noticed!!!!Get a life!!!!!!!!

Franklin is head courters for the north west region and no bodies home????????Gotta love it.

And I have no need to work for the gooberment I have a real job but thanks for the offer!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Avalanche, You obviously dont know the real fact (nor do I) concerning who got called and when. Maybe the call came in after the guy had the bear loaded and took off. You ought to know the whole story, whatever it is, beforegoing off.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I agree with Avalanche, You obviously dont know the real fact (nor do I) concerning who got called and when. Maybe the call came in after the guy had the bear loaded and took off. You ought to know the whole story, whatever it is, beforegoing off.
Yea at seventy two I'll bet this guy was fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sneaky too. Those new 308's don't make as much noise as the old ones .Probably was driving one of those new Mustang G.T,'s Great handing so I hear.

I bet he gutted it and was outta there in the blink of a glazed dough nut!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

At 72 the guy may not have been fast, but we dont know do we? We don't know if the nearest WCO was at the donut shop or on the other end of the county do we? We don't know if the local police or state police were called or if they were close enough to respond in time if called. Assuming the closest WCO was too far away, are you suggesting that the PGC office should have sent a secretary or otherwise unquakified desk jockey down the hillto confront an armed individual whose judgement and regard for the safety of other was obviously way out of whack?

My point is simply that you dont know enough to make the type of criticism you made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.