Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Don't expect any antler restrictions in WV >

Don't expect any antler restrictions in WV

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Don't expect any antler restrictions in WV

Old 12-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Don't expect any antler restrictions in WV

This was the title of an article in the local paper Morgantown. Here is a qoute. "Paul Johansen, AssistantChief of Wildlife for WVDNR, told me that one of the main objectives of the deer management plan in West Virginia is to provide a diversity of deer hunting opportunities for the hunters. He said some people don't care about shooting a buck. The only thing they want to doe is kill a deer." I really hate to read this, I wonder why they can't let these people shoot a doe.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Don't expect any antler restrictions in WV

Monongahlia County was one of the top ten counties, as far as buck kills went, so I don't understand that article.... as for ARs, this state needs them, and should follow other states' who have sucessfully implemented that policy.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Paul Johansen, AssistantChief of Wildlife for WVDNR, told me that one of the main objectives of the deer management plan in West Virginia is to provide a diversity of deer hunting opportunities for the hunters.
IMO, maximizing a hunters options is a good thing. Restrictions do exactly what the word means. It restricts a hunters options and clearly, if the goal is to maximize the "diversity of deer hunting opportunities",is counterproductive. The way it is now if a 4 point walks under the guy who's not interested in participating in the "let em go so they can grow" philosopphy he has the option of shooting it. If a 4 point walks under the guy who feels that's what it's all about then he has the option of passing. What could be more fair, or more republican (little r)? As more and more hunters adopt and apply AR out of personal choice it will become the reality of the state by default but at the same time keeping the diversity of options open for all. I applaud Mr. Johansen's position.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Indiana's DNR has a similar deer management philosophy , though they say that they manage our herd for maximum opportunity for all , not just hunters . We consistantly rank very high in both P&Y and B&C , antler restrictions had nothing to do with it since we don't have them .
Old 12-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Indiana's DNR has a similar deer management philosophy , though they say that they manage our herd for maximum opportunity for all , not just hunters . We consistantly rank very high in both P&Y and B&C , antler restrictions had nothing to do with it since we don't have them .
your rankings have more to do with the habitat and genes(and the ability to live past the 1st hunting season), more than about ARs or anything else. as the competition gets more intense for available lands,private and public...the pressure to harvest the 1st "legal" buck will be greater, should you want to be successful for that year.. I've let 4 pts walk(hopefully to mature) only to hear a gunshot 200 yds down the trail he was taking... for the most part, hunters wanna kill a deer regardless of horn-size, but that makes way for poor quality bucks overall.for those who decide to persue better racked bucks, the odds of going empty are increasing.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in WV and I do not want antler restrictions. I would not oppose smaller bag limits on bucks as in OH or KY, but antler restrictions are joke if you ask me.

What's the point?

I would also like to see WV extend the season into Jan.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
bigcountry

I know one thing. I hunted WV for many years. And I won't go back to the typical scrub buck gun hunting. I would rather go down to my hometown and go in the bowhunting zones where they let em grow little more. Mingo county that is.

At least in MD, I see about 3 does for ever buck. In WV, I would rarely see a buck gun hunting. Management long term works.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

... for the most part, hunters wanna kill a deer regardless of horn-size, but that makes way for poor quality bucks overall.for those who decide to persue better racked bucks, the odds of going empty are increasing.
They can usually shoot a doe now during buck season as well. but you're right Rem, It's amazing how many WV hunteres would rather kill their their 25th 3-pointer then an a nice fat doe. Funny when you think about itOh well, at least their having fun
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know one thing. I hunted WV for many years. And I won't go back to the typical scrub buck gun hunting. I would rather go down to my hometown and go in the bowhunting zones where they let em grow little more. Mingo county that is.
I am not going to disagree that many WV counties are know for smaller bucks........i would not call them "scrub".......but small non the less. I am just not convinced that AR's are the answer. Why not reduce the buck bag limits and force people to kill more does?

There are no antler restrictions in the Mingo/Logan/WyomingCo but yet the bucks are huge int hat area because less are killed due to the bow only restriction.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM
bigcountry

Anyway possible just to let the little bucks grow would help out greatly. Antler restrictions is one option, not sure about the doe reduction in that area. That works in certain regions where food is not plentiful enough like suberbs of MD for instance, but for Southern WV/Eastern Ky, not sure if that model works the same.

Why would you not like to see AR in WV? I have a buddy I hunt with in MD, who is from Pineville, and every year he takes snaggly 3 points and stuff from Pendleton county. He doesn't even like deer meat. I guess so he can say he got a deer. I asked him, wouldn't you be happier to get a nice basket 6 or 8. Of course he would, but his idea is, "there is very few basket 6 or 8's in that area", so if he doesn't shoot em somebody will.

Quick Reply: Don't expect any antler restrictions in WV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.