Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Ohio Regs in NY? >

Ohio Regs in NY?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ohio Regs in NY?

Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM

Default Ohio Regs in NY?

Do you guys think the Ohio big game system could improve NY hunting?
I would love to see the Ohio system used here 1 buck, a very longarchery season from oct 1st to feb 2nd. a very short gun season I think it is just 6 or 7 days. If the short gun season means give peoplethe use of a crossbowI am all for itI hope I never need to use one due to age or phyiscal disability but the option might be nice. I also belive if they get thereheads out of therebutts and drop the age restriction we could get very young bow hunters out hunting with a cross bow until they develop into regular archers. I also would love to see an early firearm deer season for our youth if they change the age restriction. Buy the wayIknow many people who have hunted ohio and I have done research on the hunting there and this system works for them. This state puts a lot of trophys on the ground and gets the young hunter started early and keeps the older guys in the field longer. Why try andinvent the wheel again look west boys they are getting it done in Ohio. I know alot of you will hate the crossbow Idea but it works thereit could work here to. I have shot a crossbow and let me tell you the compound is a bigger advantage over a recurve than a crossbow is over a compound.
Let me know what you think!
Gene
Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ohio Regs in NY?

whether good, bad, or indifferent that will never happen. there are way too many gun hunters that wouldn't stand for that short of a season (me included). you say "why reinvent the wheel" - I say you are right. The seasons in NY are fine (they could be tweeked a little here an there maybe), why mess with them (at least in the drastic ways you mentioned. also, I never have heard of Ohio being the poster for deer management???
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

NJ is structured almost the same way. I love it, and do most of my hunting there. They are over-run with deer though. One season like that would decimate NY's herd and then we'd be done for a few years.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only change i'd like to see made to our season is the addition of a week of earlyprimative muzzleloader season,
More gun season? You can use any legal mz for 5 weeks.
What is a "primitive" mz. Please give me the definition all agree on.

Steve
Old 12-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the NY regs to the Ohio regs.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Spike

Why do you perfer the Ohio regs, and what type of management goals are you trying to reach? Bigger deer? More deer? I grew up in Ohio and my brothers still live there. Ohio has some advatages over NYS, part of which are its climate, and farming practices. Some disadvantages are LOTs and LOTS of posted land, and minimal public land. That being said, Ohio is one of the better trophy buck states. Why? It has a lot to do with the hunter mentality than overall state mandated management practices. Down there, more and more hunter refuse to shoot smaller bucks. They will shoot a doe if they want meat and let 1.5 to 3.5 yo deer walk. The state works to keep doe/buck ratios and overall population in check, other than that they leave it to the hunters to decide what to shoot. Most peoplehave their property posted, or leased, set up food plots, and can bait deer. They can afford to waiton a bigger buck because they have more control over the land they hunt,reach agreements with surrounding land owners on what to kill, have generous archery/crossbow seasons.Its a little like the QDM people preach about in NY, but they don't shoot a buck because it had "4 points" on a side, or "wider than the ears". They look to see if it is a B&C 140 class (Ohio big buck) deer. If not, it will probably walk. Overall, our deer population is good, it just depends on what you want.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: cnyguy

Why do you perfer the Ohio regs, and what type of management goals are you trying to reach? Bigger deer? More deer? I grew up in Ohio and my brothers still live there. Ohio has some advatages over NYS, part of which are its climate, and farming practices. Some disadvantages are LOTs and LOTS of posted land, and minimal public land. That being said, Ohio is one of the better trophy buck states. Why? It has a lot to do with the hunter mentality than overall state mandated management practices. Down there, more and more hunter refuse to shoot smaller bucks. They will shoot a doe if they want meat and let 1.5 to 3.5 yo deer walk. The state works to keep doe/buck ratios and overall population in check, other than that they leave it to the hunters to decide what to shoot. Most peoplehave their property posted, or leased, set up food plots, and can bait deer. They can afford to waiton a bigger buck because they have more control over the land they hunt,reach agreements with surrounding land owners on what to kill, have generous archery/crossbow seasons.Its a little like the QDM people preach about in NY, but they don't shoot a buck because it had "4 points" on a side, or "wider than the ears". They look to see if it is a B&C 140 class (Ohio big buck) deer. If not, it will probably walk. Overall, our deer population is good, it just depends on what you want.
Well said, and speaks to the importance of hunter education and attitude, versus looking for increased government mandates.

NY hunting regulations are fine. Seasons could use some tweaking for certain (I'd like to see that Saturday Opener scapped and a return to the traditional Monday opener). But Deer Management strategies have changed, with these new plans requiring a couple years to start bearing fruit. As hunters, considering that successful deer management requires good information concerning harvest and population estimates, I would believe we should be working very hard to get the harvest reporting compliancy back to where it was pre-DECALS. We want to make all sorts of changes in the laws, but I hear nothing about efforts to get reporting compliance back to near 100% (high was 95% in 2001). Today, its @ 76% at best. Shame on us all....
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Well a little about myself,A few friends and myselfhave 3 propertys scattered around WNY they are 170, 135 and 300 acres we do try to manage these propertys to procuce better deer but with limited success. We do food plots shot does and pass the younger deer but we still rarely see any deer 3.5 yrs old or older and I must say the numbers of deer seen in general are less than they where 7 years ago. So to answer your question I would like to see a few more deer and some older bucks as well. Ihave found hunting in other states and canada much better than here so looking at a state like Ohio it seemed to me changes could help but from the responces I get here I dont think any major changes will ever happen in this state. I think I will sell my property and start hunting out of state a couple weeks a year and just give up on this state. I willfill my Ny tags with 1.5 yr old bucks and does to fill the freezer but there seems to be no effort to grow bigger deer here so i see no reason to try anymore. I still wish I did not have to take my son out of state to deer hunt but I guess that is another battle that will never be won. Also it is pretty sad that my father can not effectivly hunt with a bow anymore but does not qualify for a crossbow but I guess that is another thing that will never change either. What the hell I should just look for another job and move mywhole damn family out of this state. Sorry about the rant I just dont undersatnd people very well and it gets frustrating for me sometimes.
Gene

Quick Reply: Ohio Regs in NY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.