Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA - Time to STOP the bonus tags >

PA - Time to STOP the bonus tags

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA - Time to STOP the bonus tags

Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 AM

Default RE: PA - Time to STOP the bonus tags

I'm one of the fortunate hunters whom has family farms to hunt, over 1000acres in total in 3A. We kill some awesome bucks each year. But we killed just as manyawesome bucks BEFORE Alt and his "make Pa in Iowa" scheme. What we don't see is deer innumbers like we did a few years ago.
I have several young family members whom tried hunting in the last 3 yrs and dropped out...just aren't seeing enough deer to keep them occupied. I have family that are in their 40's whom have hunted for deer on these same farms since their youth...some of them have quit as well citing lack of deer sightings as the reason.
We had for as many years as I can remember to turn family andfriends away just because there is a limit to the amount of people we could put up in our farm homes at one time. This year there were 6 of us hunting. TOTAL on 1000 acres.
We work these farms we are in these fields 365days/yr. We know the amount of deer on our land. GUESS WHAT there are darn few. Yet the PGC insists on offering way too many doe tags each year for revenue and because they are stuck in this "Altism style of deer management".
The PGC has cut off it'snose to spite it'sface! Now with less back tags being sold each year and hunter recruitment way down they are crying how they need capital to operate. Who is going to keep paying more to see less.
I support those whom say "No rate hike without results". The PGC has had several years tohave their program show results. I supported them in this,left large portions of our land unposted,etc. Heck I even purchase a general backtag even though I do not need to. But no longer!!!!!!
We've lost too many hunters over not seeing deer wether it is on public or private land. IT IS TIME TO MAKE A DRASTIC DROP IN DOE TAGS. Keep the early MZ, drop concurrent buck/doe gun season, go back to allowing JUST 1 DEER per season in WMUs with low deer numbers, allow the purchase of multiple doe tags inWMUs with high deer numbers.
IF we ran our farms like the PGC runs it's game management we'd be broke in 1 year!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: eagle chickie

I'm one of the fortunate hunters whom has family farms to hunt, over 1000acres in total in 3A. We kill some awesome bucks each year. But we killed just as manyawesome bucks BEFORE Alt and his "make Pa in Iowa" scheme. What we don't see is deer innumbers like we did a few years ago.
I have several young family members whom tried hunting in the last 3 yrs and dropped out...just aren't seeing enough deer to keep them occupied. I have family that are in their 40's whom have hunted for deer on these same farms since their youth...some of them have quit as well citing lack of deer sightings as the reason.
We had for as many years as I can remember to turn family andfriends away just because there is a limit to the amount of people we could put up in our farm homes at one time. This year there were 6 of us hunting. TOTAL on 1000 acres.
We work these farms we are in these fields 365days/yr. We know the amount of deer on our land. GUESS WHAT there are darn few. Yet the PGC insists on offering way too many doe tags each year for revenue and because they are stuck in this "Altism style of deer management".
The PGC has cut off it'snose to spite it'sface! Now with less back tags being sold each year and hunter recruitment way down they are crying how they need capital to operate. Who is going to keep paying more to see less.
I support those whom say "No rate hike without results". The PGC has had several years tohave their program show results. I supported them in this,left large portions of our land unposted,etc. Heck I even purchase a general backtag even though I do not need to. But no longer!!!!!!
We've lost too many hunters over not seeing deer wether it is on public or private land. IT IS TIME TO MAKE A DRASTIC DROP IN DOE TAGS. Keep the early MZ, drop concurrent buck/doe gun season, go back to allowing JUST 1 DEER per season in WMUs with low deer numbers, allow the purchase of multiple doe tags inWMUs with high deer numbers.
IF we ran our farms like the PGC runs it's game management we'd be broke in 1 year!
And this from a person who bragged about shooting 5 button bucks on public land on purpose. How hypocritical! This persons sucks up the bonus tags and then takes future bucks from everyone else because it refuses to shoot these deer on the "family" properties. How sad.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Rob!

I said it several weeks ago and I'll say it again. I think maybe we have a troll on our hands!
Old 12-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Host of Hosts

I'm sorry, but I don't buy your story eaglechickie! If you have a 1000 acre farm and no deer your either a bad farmer or not really one at all. I too hunt on a farm around 1000 acres at times and have always seen lots of deer.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Spike

i agree you should be only able to get one extra tag, i know people getting 8 to 10 tags and shoot deer and dont eat half of them which is pointless.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM

We need to get rid of the two week doe and go back to the three day doe after the two week buck. We also have to get rid of the one size fits all doe management style. Go back to the county by countyto keep a better handle on the kill.Then we don't end up with too many in one area. And two in another area.I do absolutly agree with letting smaller bucks go to grow in to larger mature animals.I just can't help but to wonder how many of these future monsters are killed as button bucks in the doe slaughter season
Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: racerxcrewchief

We need to get rid of the two week doe and go back to the three day doe after the two week buck. We also have to get rid of the one size fits all doe management style. Go back to the county by countyto keep a better handle on the kill.Then we don't end up with too many in one area. And two in another area.I do absolutly agree with letting smaller bucks go to grow in to larger mature animals.I just can't help but to wonder how many of these future monsters are killed as button bucks in the doe slaughter season
We cannot go back to the 3 day after the 2 week. I agree getting rid of the both sex season however it makes no sense in killing the does that the bucks ran around breeding to begin with. If anything, the doe need to be hunted and killed prior to the rut. As much as I hate the intrusion in bow season, the does need killed then, even if it's a 3 day rifle season. I don't think that many are taken in the muzzleloader season.

I also agree with micromanaging areas, not necessarily county, the management units are fine but perhaps need mircomanaged themselves but they do not have the resources for that.

I just can't help but to wonder how many of these future monsters are killed as button bucks in the doe slaughter season
I wonder too, just ask eagle chickie, she purposely killed 5 on public land, or so she brags.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:13 AM

My thought on having the doe slaughter after the rifle buck is that the deer will be more timmid and a little harder to get.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 AM

Rob you are correct I did kill several BB on purpose on public land, SGLin 3A mostly that are STILL over population goals of the PGC. Isn't that what the PGC wants less deer??????? Or do you think they only offeranterless tags to kill doe and let bucks munch the habitat so wannabe trophy hunters can have more bucks?????????
Did you read the part of my post that also said I (and family) leave large sections of OUR land open to hunting/unposted? ??? Also a knock on our doors will usually gain someone access to other areas of our lands.
A large portiuon of our lands are surrounded by SGL & SFwhere the hunters flock each year to harvest deer that have fed on our crops. We saw this again this year,hunters griping about lack of deer sightings but joined togetherin deer drives. Sometimes 15-20 hunters on one drive, most drives provided few deer sightings several none but yet every anterless deer that was seen was shot at. Is there any wonder why there are so few deer??? Or why when I want venison for sausage I drive to another area to kill mine???????
As for my killing BB with my bow I explained that...I like the younger venison and in fawns the BB as a general rule are larger. I passed several mature does with fawns and a few with no fawns...that is my option, within the law. Just as it is someone elses option within the law to pass BB and kill a breeding class doe.
Come up to NE WMU 3A ask around for Stolfutz Dairy Farms...we aren't that hard to find. Knock on the door I'll be home for a few more weeks tending to my child whom is in recovery from surgery. EC

edited by EC to read:
On second thought Rob your apparentdislike over my killing BB (which is really non of your business),apparent jealousy over my havinggood private ground to hunt,yourattitude that bowhunters are much better hunters and deserve a month long season without any intrusions have me thinking I won't grant access to our lands tosomeone with that attitudeso don't bother to knock on our doors.EC
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, I'm beginning to think we worried about the fate of those bb's for nothing. After all, they didnt show up in the contest on the archers chois section yet did they? Even though you pointed it out, no response was forthcoming in that thread.

We've seen this type of poster before a few times. Most notably a delusional hog farmer, lawyer, land tycoon,from the notheast a few years ago. They come and go under different names posting ridiculous outlandish delusionary inflammatory posts and then either disappear or get banned.

Hopefully "it" will get bored with us and move on.

I'm sure you're crushed that you just lost that 1000 acres to hunt.

Quick Reply: PA - Time to STOP the bonus tags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.