Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Delaware DNREC

Old 12-08-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Delaware DNREC

After reading the following release from DNREC I am very upset. This hunt should be run like the other White Clay Creek managment hunts by a on site lotto the day of the hunt. It is BS that this hunt was given to some group of "Master Hunters". If I would have know that I had additional hunting oportunities open to me, expecially of this quality, I would have persued it. How do you become a "Master Hunter" anyways, anyone know? At least it's not snipers at considerable taxpayer expense.
Managed Deer Hunt to be Conducted at the Middle Run Valley Natural Area Park
The DNREC Division of Fish and Wildlife in conjunction with the New Castle County Department of Special Services will be conducting a managed deer hunt on Monday and Tuesday, Dec. 18 and 19, in the Middle Run Valley Natural Area Park near Newark. For safety reasons, the park will be closed to public access on the days of the hunt.

Due to increased development and subsequent wildlife habitat loss in northern New Castle County, the number of human/deer conflicts has risen over recent years, and the need for deer population control in this region is greatly warranted. In December 2005, the Division conducted an infrared aerial survey to determine the statewide deer population. Deer Management Zone 1, which consists of New Castle County north of the C&D Canal, had the highest deer density in the state, 145.4 deer per square mile of deer habitat.

Problems associated with an overabundant deer population in urban landscapes include: increased deer/vehicle collisions; damage to ornamental trees, shrubs, flowers, and gardens; increased incidence of diseases such as Lyme disease; longer or unnatural deer breeding and fawning seasons; and unhealthy deer population due to food shortages and stress induced problems from unnaturally high deer densities. In addition, areas with high deer populations can suffer environmental degradation due to over browsing, which can have negative impacts on the mammal, bird, reptile, and amphibian communities that require the understory for survival.

Many residents have been using non-lethal techniques such as chemical repellents, scarecrows, noise making devices and fences to prevent deer damage to their trees, shrubs, and gardens. With varying degrees of success, these techniques may reduce deer damage in the short term but they are costly and do nothing to solve the problem of an overabundant deer population.

Currently, there isn’t an acceptable immunocontraceptive drug that will reduce or prevent pregnancy in deer. Further, the current drugs being tested are only authorized for research purposes. The Division has always supported hunting as a deer population control technique and the harvest of female deer during the hunt will help to reduce the population and thus alleviate some human/deer conflicts.

To ensure the event is conducted with the highest possible concern for public safety, the Division has elected to only use Certified Master Hunters, all of whom have been pre-selected, as hunt participants. To become a Certified Master Hunter an individual must have attended and successfully completed the Delaware Master Hunter Conservation Module of Instruction. The course covers a broad range of subjects such as public attitudes on hunting, wildlife management and conservation, Delaware hunting heritage, fair chase hunting, quality deer management, current controversial issues and hunter/private landowner relations. He or she must also have attended two other educational/safety classes and passed a criminal history background check.

The harvest of female deer will be the emphasis of the managed hunt. All hunters will be allowed to harvest antlerless deer but a random few will selected on the morning of the hunt for the opportunity to harvest an antlered deer.

In an effort to increase the overall harvest, successful hunters will be encouraged to donate extra venison to the Delaware Sportsman Against Hunger Program, which was formed in 1992 by a coalition of sporting groups with DNREC as the primary sponsor. Last year, more than 30,000 pounds of venison were donated, providing more than 120,000 meals for the hungry.

“Delaware’s hunters have been willing to share their good fortune with others,” said Greg Moore, Wildlife Administrator with the Division of Fish and Wildlife. “Over the past 13 years, the program has provided more than 800,000 nutritious meals for needy Delawareans. We are most grateful to hunters for helping fight hunger in our state, and we encourage them to participate again this season.”

For more information or questions regarding the managed hunt or any other deer issue, please contact Joe Rogerson, Fish and Wildlife Game Mammal Biologist, at 302-653-2883.

For questions regarding the Middle Run Valley Natural Area Park property, please contact Jonathan Husband, New Castle County Engineering & Environmental Services Manager, at 302-395-5746.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Delaware DNREC

How do you become a "Master Hunter" anyways, anyone know?
There's information in the hunters digest you can pick up at any store that sells hunting and fishing supplies or you can go online and check it out.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

How do you become a "Master Hunter" anyways, anyone know?
This was in your own copy and paste of the artical.

To become a Certified Master Hunter an individual must have attended and successfully completed the Delaware Master Hunter Conservation Module of Instruction. The course covers a broad range of subjects such as public attitudes on hunting, wildlife management and conservation, Delaware hunting heritage, fair chase hunting, quality deer management, current controversial issues and hunter/private landowner relations. He or she must also have attended two other educational/safety classes and passed a criminal history background check.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Just a few peices of missing information about the hunt and reasons why it was not run like a White Clay Creek hunt.

1. I first learned of the Master Hunter program while attending one of the open meetings held by DNREC when all of the hoopla was generated about the so called "sharpshooters" coming in to take additional deer for testing. (Incidentally, the term "sharpshooters" came from the news article in the News Journal paper. That term was never in the press release from DNREC. As we all know, the News Journal likes to put their spin on things. Can't let facts get in the way of a good story!)
2. Folks who live in Urban/Suburban areas as well as many farmers said they would entertain the idea of hunting provided those people who would hunt these areas had advanced training in all areas of hunting, safety, marksmanship,ethics etc.
3. As stated in several posts here, the info is available on the DNREC website as well as the booklet you get when purchasing a hunting license.
4. Since this area has not been hunted in a very long time. Probably 20 years at least, there were no stands from which to hunt as there are at White Clay Creek.
5. All hunters were assigned a specific spot from which to hunt and we were instructed not to wander around for safety reasons as we had no idea where other hunters may be posted.
6. There were about 20 hunters in all and only 4 names were drawn from a hat to determine 4 lucky folks who could harvest a buck. Our instructions were to kill as many antlerless deer as possible under the following conditions:
a.Safety First - The last thing we needed was a hunting accident.
b. Clean - One Shot Kills - No shots on running deer! We didn'twant to lose any deer. Especially since this park is used by nature lovers, hikers, mountain bikers and fitness aficianados. We don't want them seeing dead carcasses lying around.
c. Field dressing was to be done away from any trails for the same reason.
d. If we saw anyone in the area hiking, bike riding, protesting etc., do not talk to them. We had the phone number for some DNREC folks who would handle the situation. All of the surrounding residents and businesses were notified of the hunt and that the park would be closed to the public for the 2 days of the hunt.

Now for the fun stuff.

I was in a group of 3 hunters taken to a part of the park off of Possum Park Road. We entered the park through a housing development where the price of the homes was in the high 6 figure range, maybe even 7 figures. We entered the park through a public access gate between 2 of the homes. The first thing we saw within 75 yards of the gate was about 40 to 50 deer feeding in the field. Next to woods to the right of the field were 2 of the biggest racked deer I have ever seen in the "wild". Both of these deer would easily have made B&C. Couldn't get a real good look as we didn't want to look like we were "spotlighting deer" so we parked our trucks and shut off the lights. We then got into the truck with the DNREC "guide" who drove "through" the herd of deer part way down the field to an access point where we all piled out and were ******ed to our hunting spots.
7 AM - Real nice 8 pointer walks by. Alas I was not one of the chosen few to take a buck. Had to let him walk.
9 AM - DNREC employees and some volunteers start driving to move deer from areas where hunters were not placed due to safety coniderations.
9:15 - Hunter directly across the creek from me shoots a deer. 8 deer come running down the hill from where the shot was. They stop before crossing the creek. I have a 125 yd shot, but got brush between me and the deer so I don't risk wounding a deer, and they run off.
10:15 - 15 deer coming charging down the opposite hillside. Hunter across the way shoots doe at the creek bottom when they stop. At the sound of the shot, the remaing deer disperse.2 to myleft running through brush, 2 more sneaking across to the left. 10 more coming up from the bottom towards me. Here's my chance, right? Nope. They don't come up all the way and turn below a small rise on the hillside to my right. All I can see are few ears, noses and eyeballs. No clean shot available. Now the 2 deer that snuck across the creek to myleft are walking right at me. Looks like 2 spikes at first glance but as they get closer, I count a 7 pointer and an 8 pointer withspreads that approached a whopping 8 inches! 20 yards, broadside, standing! The hunting gods are taunting me!!
11:00 - DNREC comes to pick me up.

All total I heard about 30 shots. I didn't stick around to see what was brought in to be checked.

If this hunt over the 2 days proves to be succesfull, it will be used as amodel for future hunts in similar circumstances.

SeaNymph - If you want to be part of the Master Hunter program. You need to be willing to invest the time to attend the training classes. As far as this hunt being BS, I think all of us hunters should be happy that we now have a way available to us to access some of these areas.
One DNREC person said that the hope was that eventually, this area could be managed the same way as White Clay Creek. This managed hunt will be the first giant step to the possibility ofgreater opportunities in the future.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

tz,
Great blow by blow account on the hunt Thanks much for a clarificaion on "BS"

Amazing how this BS came together to make perfect sense
Old 12-20-2006, 04:37 PM

Great story. Sorry you didnt get any deer. If was there, they all would have avoided me and surely come to you! I'll have to invest in the master hunters program to help out my fellow hunters get deer.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone around the Dover area want to attend the classes with me ? How bout you AJ ? And Ron, you interested?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rick
Yes Sir- I'm wanting to take this course.When and where is the big ??
Before I search the dreaded DNREC site - are there dates and times set??

After reading all the cert requirements I'm wondering which seminars/schools already attended count towards this cert,as mentioned in the hunters handbook. I've attended 2 DE sponsored QDMA seminars.The last one was in Jan or Feb in Milford.A 4-5 hr seminar.

Anyway - I'd love to make this Master Hunter a done deal in the very near future.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:26 PM

AJ,
I know that the QDMA Deer School Qualifies as 1 of the requirements, If that is what you attended. You got 1 in the book already. The other requirements are that you have attended the Core Conservation Course. This is a 2 day affair. You also have to have record of having attended the regular hunter safety course. I did mine years ago in PA and got them to send me a replacement card. You also have to attend something like the QDMA Deer school, deer hunting 101 by DNREC or the Turkey classes. You then have to attend 1 of the classes that require you to shoot and show that you can hit what you are aiming at such as the archery class, muzzleloader or hangun hunting course. Then you get a form to take to the State Police where you are fingerprinted and a background check is done. DNREC pays for all of this. All of the courses are free. Once you are certified as a MH, you must attend at least1 hunting course per year or attend 3 of the regularly scheduled monthly DNREC metings to maintain your certification. As I said before, all it takes is a commitment of time.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks tz,
I Just need to find out if either of these QDMA deer seminars were classified as a "deer school" as stated in the handbook.

Quick Reply: Delaware DNREC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.