Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Tactics for the Pa opener >

Tactics for the Pa opener

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Tactics for the Pa opener

Old 11-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default Tactics for the Pa opener

What do all of you do for the opener. I hunt escape routes at the bottom of mountain border some thicks stuff right before a ridg, What do you guys like to. I like to get in early and let people push the deer to me. What tactics do you use, driving, sitting, taking them naturally, etc. lets her your opinions and why.

Old 11-22-2002, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Tactics for the Pa opener

Ill be on a Thick side,of a Creek Drainage,that leaves a Apple Orchard.Went for a walk in there several day's ago,and counted 29 Deer.It was Boiling with them.Should be done early,as i only need a Pair of Doe's.Good Luck!
Old 11-23-2002, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get in my stand prepared to stay out all day.I'm usually dragging one out by 10:00am,though.
Old 11-23-2002, 03:04 PM

I usually sit in a stand I've had much sucess at in the morning and then I still hunt the afternoon.

Save the sport. Take a kid hunting twice and hook them for life!!!
Old 11-23-2002, 05:40 PM

I do pretty much like you. Scout out lots of areas, then find a well worn doe escape trail that resembles a motocross trail near recent buck rub lines and use a climber stand to get above the understory brush and let the action unfold down below. First day action is always the best, if deer don't come my way early morning then usually other people on the ground get cold hands and feet and begin walking around late morning, they unknowingly kick deer back to me, and BOOM!!!, another tag filled. Same ol' routine year in year out.
Old 11-23-2002, 06:46 PM

Don't you just hate having to haul all that food and stuff that you brought along to last all day with you when you are dragging by 10 am????

>>>------------>
Let's Go Shootin' ! Pinmaster
>>>------------>
Old 11-23-2002, 07:41 PM

I sit and wait for the BANG BANG BANG.......BOOOM BOOoOOM. Then the deer come running.

Old 11-23-2002, 09:58 PM

i'll climb into my shooting house overlooking a large field & swamp & wait for the action to begin.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Patience I find is the key for me on opening day. I get on my stand around 4:45 and don't move again until dark. I wasn't able to get out for the early doe season with the muzzleloader so I'll be able to take a doe at least opening day. Never fail seeing somewhere around 24 deer every opener and usually a buck or two in that number.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

im basically the same.....this year i am hunting the same log pile i hid in last year...i missed a giant doe at first light(first shot fired on a state game lands i was proud of that!) duer to a broken scope...and my dad got a nice doe that came with a few others i didnt get a shot at any of them...the whole general area is usually tore up with deer...this year my spot looks good still and down ofver the hill does thats about it...as long as mine looks good and the guys hunting closer to the road will push them to us we will be ok i hope! 6 days!!!

Quick Reply: Tactics for the Pa opener

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.