Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Terrible gun season (NY) >

Terrible gun season (NY)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Terrible gun season (NY)

Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Terrible gun season (NY)

I have to say I was seeing about the same amount of deer as past years during bow season. I average seeing about 6 different bucks in bow. Opener of gun I saw 11 deer. 6 does within 30 yards that I had no permit for and a spike and a 6 point that I passed hoping for a mature deer. I already took a nice 8 point in bow. After that I saw a doe on the fourth day of season at 40 yards again no permit. In the last 7 days I have not seen a deer!! I believe they are out there because I have been hearing shots and seeing lots of tracks. I hunt mostly public land also. Opening day there were a bunch out but they all left by 1 pm since then I have not seen too many hunters.

I do not think the deer populations are too bad in the areas I hunt, 7f and 7m. Not a deer behind every tree but they are there. I think the biggest fact we find it so hard to recruit youth is NY has the idiot opinion that kids should not hunt?? 16 years old that is just plain anti. And kids and adults expect super entertainment and find it hard to hunt and not see a deer all day. When I was young there were a lot less deer than now and I still wanted to go every day all day. If everyone could go out and shoot a truckload of deer every day it would not be hunting to me. And I do agree that some areas are low on deer but everyone always blames the DEC. The DEC has no bearing on land practices and uses and posting. People and there bad behavior is why people can not hunt all over like they used to. Which generates areas with too many deer and others where all the hunters go now that have too little deer. That and the obsession with BIG antlers that make people pay BIG money for leasing hunting land and closing up more land to the average joe. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen exactly ZERO deer since Reg. season opened. Its not from lack of hunting either. I've been out both wknds. During archery season I saw 5 different bucks(down from my normal buck sightings the past 2yrs). I also saw some nice doe, and young fawns. I don't know whats going on. But I do know for a fact the deer population is alot lower now in my area from 8yrs ago. We used to see 5 or more deer together, now your lucky to see anything more than a doe, and 2 fawns together. Themodern times have changed. Its not to make hunters happy. People hunt to see deer, and possibly shoot a nice buck. Nobody here puts in hrs, and hrs of effort nearly year around to sit, and watch chickadee's & red squirrels!
The whole problem is the way of the times, we are our own worst enemies. Crime, law suits all lead to higher costs for everyone. Insurance goes up, liabilities gone up. Not to mention the reputationsome hunters have given us as a whole. Shooting up the woods, road hunters, poaching. It puts a bad taste in people's mouths. Can you blame any private land owner for notopening their lands to hunting for anyone. Owners that do, want to control it, and know whose on their land. This in part has led to leased hunting rights. Plus it benefits the land owner in paying his high taxes. Its the way of the times.
The problem is the DEC is having a difficult time trying to figure outthe best system for everyone. They are loosing hunters becasue of it. They'll continue to loose hunters the direction its going. A plan needs to be devised to benefit land owners to opening their lands to hunting. The 2006 estimated deer harvest numbers for my area really made me mad, and showed me the direction the DEC has taken.
www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/deer/deerfreg7.htm
See 7m "Citizen Task Force"
Lands owners complaining too many deer these days! The DEC caters to them. Lowering the BTO from 3.5 to 2.5 so the DEC will now issue more permits. More permits in a area I've watched the deer pop decline for the past 8yrs. This will definitly help the future!
NY also needs to get the age limits lowered on our youth. Every yr a bill is introduced, and every yr its turned down. WHY? My boys have watched 8yr olds shoot deer on the Outdoor Ch. They look at me, and ask why! Fortunately they've both been very patient, and now finally at ages 12 & 15 are able to hunt with me in some form.
I don't expect to see tons of deer every yr. But more thanI do now would be nice. WhenI can count the total number of deer I've seen all season on both hands, its pathetic. I average 40-50days of hunting a season. This with a 40hr work week, and a family to raise. I'm hunting more now in the last 3yrs, than I ever have. I've harvested alot less in the past 5yrs. The days of 2 deer a yr are rare now. In fact I've gone 3 seasons now in the past 7 without a deer at all. I don't have all the answers, but whats obvious is obvious. The system isn't working!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

7m did not even give out doe permits the last two years. I also get out 50 days a season and have a 40+ hour job and a family so we have a lot in common. I feel your pain I have not seen a deer in 7 days myself and 4 of those days were dawn to dark hunting! Again tho I do not believe it is an easy fix or the DEC fault. I agree with a lot of your post though.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 AM

I am all for decreasing the legal age to hunt in NYS also. 16 is much too old to get started and stay interested. We may recruit some more new hunters this way, but again without enough land to hunt, they won't stick to it for very long. I have had the same thought about the state giving incentives to landowners. How could it really be put into effect, though? Maybe some property tax breaks? How much can they realistically be given? A couple of hundred dollars maybe? Why would a landowner take a couple of hundred tax break, when they can get a thousand or more from leasing it to a club or group of hunters. Just won't add up. The outlook for inexpensive hunting is pretty much dead in my opinion.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Spike

Yes I am 17. and last year was the first yearI could big game hunt. i've been interested in it sinceI was 11, and was only allowed to pheasant hunt at 12. I was confused as to whyI could sling a shotgun with bird shot, but not a rifle. P.S. i've only seen 9 deer since archery ender. I saw a few nice bucks in archery season but all out of range.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 9r&9m most of the hunting sucks no deer. 12 guys opening day zip the bad part all of us seen only 8or9 does. The dec. has to stop the heavy issue of permits and start a one buck limit, guys were screwing our selves by taking to many deer. Rich
Old 11-28-2006, 08:58 PM

I'm sorry to hear everyone's terrible times out hunting. I hunt in the 7m area in madison county and have seen a sh*t load of here. I have had to see 30 deer on opening morning including 5 or 6 nice size bucks thatI let go hoping for mister big. On 11/19/06 at 8:30 mister Big walked right into my sights. This happen to be the biggest deer of my career and was a 9 point and dressed out at 158 lbs. I took it with a shotgun at about 75 yards and he fell like a rock.. what a season. anyways.. you guys need to hunt central NY.. alot more deer and quality.. I drive 5 1/2 hours to hunt... I know what it is to not see deer. So, i found the solution...

Old 11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Any word on that chronic wasting disease in central New York or are you shooting all the infected deer there Ny Archer . Just kidding congrats I've been out 4 times probably 20 hrs no deer. Saw 2 bucks during bow maybe 6 does too far
Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY Archer your area of woods seems to be the exception for 7m. I used to hunt Madison Co. myself 10yrs ago, and saw those kind of numbers then. I wouldn't tell the DEC you saw approx. 30 deer on opening day, they'd have a tizzy on over population! 5 1/2hrs. You can drive across NYS in 5 1/2hrs! Congrats on the buck.

Quick Reply: Terrible gun season (NY)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.