Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

No ACTION!

Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM

Default No ACTION!

whats my problem? iv been hunting hard since the start of bow season and still havent seen a deer let alone had the chance to take one. The area im hunting has scrapes and rubs but whenever im out there, i never see a deer. I'm quite, dont move around much and think i am pretty scent free(i spray my clothes with scent killer). Do you guys have any advise? I dont know what to do..
Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No ACTION!

find the food, you will find the deer.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 PM

This year's been real strange - I usually can pattern the deer in my area pretty well before season but this year there really seemed to be no set pattern they were following - One day they were in a cut hay field the next they were on the other side of the woods in the swamp and it went like that all season with no real pattern -

I finally was able to pattern a mature doe and her two fawns and I hung on them till rut started then just waited for the buck to follow - I ended up with a nice 8 pointer - I found that he was actually pushing them out of thier bedding area first thing every morning so I setup between them and just waited for him
Here are the results:
http://i13.tinypic.com/4gntl7c.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/4gs7cyu.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/4g7dbop.jpg

They are pretty skitish now that the shooting has started but if you can setup on a bed area on the opposite side of where you know some hunters will be walking in - get in there early and just wait for the deer to come slipping by trying to avoid the other hunters.
Usa a good cover scent and just hold tight they'll come by eventually.

Good Luck

Old 11-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck hoffman. where you from?

i agree. definitely hunt the does and that'll lead you to the bucks.

now if you cant find the does, one failsafe method (if you have the time) is to sit in an area where you can see alot of country and watch for the deer, and then move to where u have been seeing them. slowly zone into them. also, moving locations alot can help you find deer.

remember, most scrapes and rubs are made after dark (i believe its like 75%)
Old 11-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Been havin a tough time of it myself as well, before the season started I knew where the deer were before they did, now I cant get a eye on one, Ive hunted the food plots, travel cooridors, but its like my timing is off. We'll keep at it though. Good hunting to all.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 AM

I am from Western NY - about 1 hour south of Buffalo- I hunt DMU 9M

Alot of deer but not much hunting pressure this year still haven't decided if that's a good or bad thing - One thing for sure is if the pressure stays low I will be able to manage the deer being taken a little better and maybe end up with some slammer bucks in the next couple of years.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:15 AM

ive been having all kinds of trouble also shot a doe on oct 21 and that was the first deer and last deer ive seen all year
Old 11-26-2006, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You have to hunt the edge of the thick stuff, where nobody else hunts. It's easy to find scrapes in the open, as bucks make them there during the nighttime. They feel secure in the thickets, so hunt there with deer trails in shooting range, and if it's cold, they could move at any time during the day. Pay attention to the wind too!
Old 11-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt the beds and hang the heads! Find a place where you'd say to yourself "I'd really hate to have to drag a deer out of that stuff"........then hunt there.

Personally I wouldnt' bother hunting scrapes this time of year. A lot of them have been abandon. The ones that haven't been, are more than likely being done at night. Also the post rut bucks and does will be hitting food sources again.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:20 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

JHoffman were you at, my sons got a place between salamanca and little valley. Rich

Quick Reply: No ACTION!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.