Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 2007 Quabbin Deer Hunt >

2007 Quabbin Deer Hunt

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2007 Quabbin Deer Hunt

Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 PM

Default 2007 Quabbin Deer Hunt

I created this thread for everyone hunting in the Quabbin Hunt this year. I saw another thread on a certain section of the Quabbin and didn't want to highjack the thread from him.

So lets hear what zones you got picked for and your thoughts and perhaps stories after you guys hunt your days.

I got picked for Prescott. I guess that's one of the better zones. My dad has hunted it and had an 8-point mounted he shot out of there. So I'm optimistic this year. I hope I have a chance to redeem myself for the monster buck I missed in Hardwick last year.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 AM

Default RE: 2007 Quabbin Deer Hunt

nice area you have there presscot we miss a huge buck out there last year that we know made it through , the season there, scouted gate 8 in pelhem sun we had to walk found some nice rubs in there but didnt see alot of scat in the area,taking are trucks in this weekend to branch out alittle more, good luck there
Old 11-21-2006, 05:59 PM

Thanks. Best of luck to you too. Let us know how you did.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

wow people are still hunting the quabbin?i hear it been shot off pretty much.i never have hunted there but some guys i know that have said they see more moose sign then deer sign.that was in pelham.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:30 PM

I hunted Hardwick last year and did see some moose sign, but where I was deer sign up the ying yang and ended up missing a trophy buck. The Quabbin hunt is all I do in MA now. I spend the rest of my time deer hunting NY which isn't all that much time I spend, but I do what I can with a tight schedule.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 PM

there is some moose sign in up higher past gate 8, i think gate 12 friend of mine went in last week ended up running into to bulls and a cow ,in gate 8 area that i went in we seen alot of good sign friend of mine whos going with me drove in today check out some areas some real good scat rubs scapes, and other areas with some tracks with no other sign at all, iam going there in the morning with another friend whos hunting with us to check this other section out that my friend didnt get a chance to look at,

Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 AM

well today is the big day....and it's going to be SOOO WARM OUT!!!! I was hoping when I originally saw the forecast for today like a week ago that the forecast would change since this is New England. Guess what, it didn't. Now I'm pessimistic about the outcome, but we'll see. Good luck to anyone out there hunting today.

Tomorrow is December and we're having 60 degree temps [:@] where's all the cold weather and snow?????
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM

well folks went in today i thought it would be a great morning but i seen no deer ,but around 9.15 i stealth my way up to the top of this ridge it was foggy i look across the flat landing on top and what did i see a big cow moose eating and taking it easy ,i watch her for 10min. thwen she took her time going over the other side of the ridge , we did about 5 diffrent drives and kick up nothing, but i guess thats hunting ,later that afternoon see a bull moose and a cow moose,it was awsome and made my day, after that me and are crew set up for anthoer drive ,we didnt kick up a thing but i ended up on this road and three gentlemen had a 8 pointer on it ready to feild dress him i help[ them hold a leg, finding out they took a nice doe earlier, there deer in there but just getting them to move is tough,well ill be back there tommmrow in the rain and wind,cant get them sitting home ,good luck guys
Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 PM

My story is didn't see anything all day long. It was sooooo foggy this morning heading up 202 and on the way down to our spot after we got through the gate that we almost went off the road a few times. The fog was brutal in some spots early on. The extent of the wildlife I saw was an opossum, a squirrel and 4 bald eagles. I heard a loon this morning which I was I thought was cool since I never heard one except for sound clips and on tv. That was about it for the morning.

For the afternoon we got so disgusted with our original spot we moved to a spot closer to the gate (we were about as far from the gate in the morning as you can get). We (my bro, my dad, and I) picked our spots. I got bored after a half hour and started to meander up to where it looked like it was logged about 3-4 years ago. I found deer and moose sign up the ying yang. No deer or moose but I was excited that I actually found some sign since I hadn't seen anything up to that point. My dad has a monster bull moose come right at him pushed to him by a group of guys driving. He was upwind of the moose so he didn't smell him. Supposedly they were at one point 30 feet apart. My dad jumped up and raised his gun because the moose looked like it might attack him the way he was holding his head. When my dad jumped up, he saw my dad stood there for a second then bolted and my brother saw him shortly after. Shortly after that, one of the guys that was doing the drive just cut loose 50 yards behind my dad shooting at nothing. So that spooked everything in the area and my dad was not happy to say the least.

So the highlights were, I saw 4 bald eagles going at it in mid-air over the reservoir and my dad and bro saw a huge bull moose. Didn't hear much shooting, although around 1 o'clock shooting started to errupt all over for a few minutes. Judging from the cars at the checking station on the way out about a few dozen deer were taken. On a side note, we saw some guys at the Pelham gate after we left with some bucks with good sized racks.

I won't be out tomorrow, I'm pretty much done with hunting until next year. We'll it was nice getting out today but it was way too damn warm for deer hunting. I couldn't take two steps without breaking a sweat.

Best of luck tomorrow jamie.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 PM

bad day at quabbin didnt see a dam thing we pushed alot of land ,and didnt kick up nothing,thurs they check in i think27 deer only 2 were does the bucks and wwhen i left fri, around 1.00 only 2 deer were checkin, went tryed new area today alot of sign but no deer , my friend lives in new york and ill going to hunt there next year ,this so far is my worst season ever but we have till the end of dec. it can turn around[X(]

Quick Reply: 2007 Quabbin Deer Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.