Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Up and Down day...and the world's smallest 11 pointer...Long! >

Up and Down day...and the world's smallest 11 pointer...Long!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Up and Down day...and the world's smallest 11 pointer...Long!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:54 AM

Default RE: Up and Down day...and the world's smallest 11 pointer...Long!

Congrats on the buck and taking a youth on a hunt with you, even if it wasn't the best circumstance at the beginning, you stuck with it. I'm in Tioga County NY near Newark Valley and the deer here are small as well. This bow season I have seen a nice 8 and 6 pointer, one 7 pointer and a moster 10 that had me trembling. By looking at the deer, I also agree that it's a 1.5 year old deer, but the teeth will help you in your age classification. I have not had the chance to shot a buck that was 8 points or bigger, nor have I ever shot a buck since I just started hunting the last 2 years, going on my third this year. Plenty of opportunities for 4 through 7, but passed hoping for a chance of a bigger and plus I like to think I practice QDM, but sometimes at the moment of truth, if I saw that 11 pointer, I would have made the shot as well. Could the buck you shot have been bigger next year or following, well the teeth will hopfully tell you, but for now, what a nice unique buck you have to be proud of and having the expirence shared with a youth is also very rewarding. Again, congrats!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

1.5 yo buck aged by teeth (me and DEC region 8 bio).It wasweighed, and it was 155-7 lbs the next morning.

We lost the doe.I backed out because she got up and was moving without falling. Yeah, she was moving slow, but she was consistently moving without any interruption. At the spot of the trail, we had great blood, indicating she was fatally wounded. She was 50 yards due E in the woodlot when she bumped. Backing out, and giving her the chance to bed for good was the best option instead of running through the woods, branches, etc.attempting to catch up to her and managing a clear shot. I'm in the process of teaching a younger hunter how to do things right, and making a call like that would have only confused him as to the "normal' way you give a deer time to expire before heading after it. With 6 people wecircle searched the woodlot, which is sub-20 acres. She was well into the hedgerow before losing the trail, somewhat away from the woodlot, and she had been walking straight for quite some distance without any circling back indications.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought she could barely walk from the way you said it. Sorry things didn't work perfectly but I think your protege' learned some good lessons anyway. On Friday, my Dad hit a big buck in the shoulder blade. The arrow failed to penetrate and fell out. We tracked that deer almost a mile. The blood trail petered out to a small drop here and there. We were onour hands and knees sometimes. The buck came in behind him, hot on a doe. He said the arrow ticked a limb on it's way to the deer. The buck didn't move when the arrow hit it. It stayed on the doe.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I thought she could barely walk from the way you said it. Sorry things didn't work perfectly but I think your protege' learned some good lessons anyway. On Friday, my Dad hit a big buck in the shoulder blade. The arrow failed to penetrate and fell out. We tracked that deer almost a mile. The blood trail petered out to a small drop here and there. We were onour hands and knees sometimes. The buck came in behind him, hot on a doe. He said the arrow ticked a limb on it's way to the deer. The buck didn't move when the arrow hit it. It stayed on the doe.
Somehow I got the "Hands and Knees" job looking after this doe. He got to walk the edges, and corn fields.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer and great job with the mentoring!

Your buck is the classic example of my arguement that points based AR would serve no value in much of NY. A great deer regardless of age that makes for fond memories.

Steve
Old 11-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Your buck is the classic example of my arguement that points based AR would serve no value in much of NY. A great deer regardless of age that makes for fond memories.

Steve
Using this example against the AR argument would not be exactly scientific. Although it is true that 1.5 year old bucks with 8 points is not uncommon, most 1.5 year old bucks will carry racks ranging from spikes to 6 points. From my many years of hunting experience, I know this to be fact. Using the odds, AR will protect the majority of 1.5 year old bucks.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congrats I think its awesome
Old 11-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Steve

they know its not true for every single deer but 90 percent of the time the 3 point restriction does work for young deer, and its definitley working so far.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. And never call it a "small" rack... call it a "tight" rack!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I said in much of NY.

Using this example against the AR argument would not be exactly scientific. Although it is true that 1.5 year old bucks with 8 points is not uncommon, most 1.5 year old bucks will carry racks ranging from spikes to 6 points. From my many years of hunting experience, I know this to be fact. Using the odds, AR will protect the majority of 1.5 year old bucks

My experiance and opinions are not valid but yours are?

Studies in Central NY show 60% of 1 1/2 are 3 pts or better -thereforeTARGETING and NOT protecting young bucks with points based AR.

they know its not true for every single deer but 90 percent of the time the 3 point restriction does work for young deer, and its definitley working so far.
Please show me the sources (in a new thread) supporting your claim - see my post above about CNY.

I will not further derail Phades thread here - once again great job on a fine deer and mentoring!

Steve

Quick Reply: Up and Down day...and the world's smallest 11 pointer...Long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.