Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 antler restrictions >

antler restrictions

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

antler restrictions

Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM

Default antler restrictions

I have a question, the state has implemented antler restriction for my wmu in New York. I know it makes scence to have it and im all for letting the little ones go. Is holding out and taking all the legal bucks (3 on one side) out of an area the right thing to do? Doesnt that just leave the little scrubs to breed? Or for instance, a bad genetic buck say 2 or 3 years of age that is maybe a spike or four pointer, and i have taking a huge one horn spike a couple years back, they are now illegal to shoot and are left out ther to breed. Many people hold out for the big one and many people shoot the first antler deer they see, put there gun away and sit at camp for the rest of season and drink.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: antler restrictions

That's my only problem with A/R, letting the genetically inferior, but older bucks survive and breed. This is where A/R differs from QDM. But unfortunately, A/R is the only thing feasible which meets hunter's goals and the DEC goals at the same time. I am still surprised that the DEC has even gone for A/R in a limited capacity like they have so far.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

This is always a hot topic. Check out the link.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1740314
Old 10-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

well leave the small bucks for the juniors, there not compltely protected
Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

well leave the small bucks for the juniors, there not compltely protected
the little bucks are not lasting to long also do to kids being able to shot them..most of bucks i saw killed last year were little bucks..

i would really like to see 3 points to 1 side for all our hunting..i just think that adults are shooting a lot of these littlebucks and putting kids tag on it..

i stated that at game commission meetings and i still feel that way about the small bucks..

i know you have to keep a kid interested in hunting buti dont feel that this is way to do it..

i suggested that season should open saturday and for kids only, adults cant carry gun and let them shoot nothing but 3 points to 1 side..

then monday we would be able to hunt..oh boy, you should have heard the hunters then..hell with kids, i want my meat..sadly,they forget they were young once ..
Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Airborneguy

That's my only problem with A/R, letting the genetically inferior, but older bucks survive and breed. This is where A/R differs from QDM. But unfortunately, A/R is the only thing feasible which meets hunter's goals and the DEC goals at the same time. I am still surprised that the DEC has even gone for A/R in a limited capacity like they have so far.
They tried it last year and didn't get as much informationas they

needed,so they carried it over to this year.Hoping they would get better

results I guess.Just like changing opening day from Monday to Sat. to get

more hunters.Didn't happen though.shoot my area 4O you can even get a

DMP for a doe until 2008 now.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i actually just learned about this in class today, but dealing with fish, and how strict length limits can, in some situations encourage slow growing animals to breed more than the genetically superior fast growing ones that are harvested as soon as they reach the legal limit.

But i think the biggest problem with antler restrictions is enforcement. I know around me alot of people would still shoot small bucks, butcher them in their garage, and nobody would have to know. They rarely follow bag limits as it is; no way they would follow ARs.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 AM
jf5

Well, I don't think that ALL the larger bucks get taken. Big old, smart bucks where just as available to be shot before AR's and where not shot out. IMO AR's won't change that situationmuch.

Yeah, AR's are not perfect. I know in Maine there are many big bodied, old deer that just have large fork racks. Its nto perfect, but theres not much else to use as a measure.

As for the guys who will take small bucks illegally. Well, they would break the laws regardless.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on hunting pressure and the BD ratio of your present herd whether AR would be good or bad where you are.

Pa has had AR for several years now ( since 2002) and most hunters are happy with the results. In 2005, roughly50% of the bucks harvested were 2.5 years old or older. Of course we were killing almost ALL of our bucks wearing their first rack before AR.

The truth is that AR is not a great QDM strategy unless you are trying to manage a situation where there is way too much pressure on antlered deer and very little control over hunter behavior. In a state like Pa., it's a necessary evil in letting some bucks live to year two. The so-called negative result of high grading of the deer herd by killing only the best young bucks is an arguement that is meaningless in areas or states where so much pressure exists that very few deer would survive to year two without some antler restrictions.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Ok, this hole thing about AR's are fine but what about the people that are in there 50s 60s +? They cant hold out like us young guys and wait for the big ones. They usually take the first buck they see and then their happy. Theres almost NO doe permits issued where i hunt so chances are they wont get to have meat this year. Isnt this whole thing just about money for the state? Afterall, who goes to New York to hunt trophy deer? No one i have ever met. They go out west where there known to be big. The only way to boost license sales are to have a state known for big bucks. Does that make us trophy hunters? If its about letting the young deer live then why are we able to shoot fawns and young does? Why not have age/weight limits on does? Sure hunters wont argue about AR's especially when theres going to be the chance to shoot a trophy buck one year. I pay $70.00 to the state every year for my hunting license just for the state to tell me i cant shoot a deer with no less than 3 points on one side. Come on people, its just the man sticking it to us little guys once again!

Quick Reply: antler restrictions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.