Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 any mass deer yet? >

any mass deer yet?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

any mass deer yet?

Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default any mass deer yet?

anyone from mass getting deer?i had luck early but now all is quiet[:@]
Old 10-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: any mass deer yet?

Well, I finally scored last night on my biggest Massachusetts bow kill. I have not had a chance to score him yet for the contest... but it won't be huge.
I went and sat a stand that I have not sat yet this year behind a big swamp near a lime quarry. There was one fresh scrape and a loaded apple tree. I was in the pines which were getting dark quick. At about 5:55pm I heard something in the pine needles up ahead. I caught a glimpse of an ear and just figured it was a doe... Then it went to the scrape... scraped it and hit the licking branch. I could only see a bit of horn at his base because he was facing mebehind a big pine w/ some openings in it.He stood there for about 10 min w/out moving. Then he came towards the pine and saw that he was a decent buck by Mass standards. He turned broadside but wouldn't come out from behind a clump of branches. He stood there for another 5 min and every time I thought he was going to step out, he would raise his nose and smell... The wind was swirling and I'm sure he smelled me becuase I came in on my quad. He looked like he was going to turn and walk away the way he came... so if found a softball size hole and let one fly... I hit him hard and the hit looked good. He was about 20 yards away... I heard him run... stop... and then I heard him crash. I pulled out (shaking like a leaf) and went back to my inlaws house and got 3 buddies to come in to help me track just in case. We had no problem finding him. I thought he was bigger in the excitement of the tree... a little ground shrinkage took place. Like I said, he is no freak, but the biggest buck I have ever taken in Mass.
Here is a pic in the woods and another where we found him in the brook 60 yards from my stand.

http://i13.tinypic.com/29en3f9.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/40mcnmd.jpg

Any guess on what he'll score?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:34 AM

i took a large doe on opening day with my longbow.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:52 AM
jf5

Congrats on a nice deer...

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

Well, I finally scored last night on my biggest Massachusetts bow kill. I have not had a chance to score him yet for the contest... but it won't be huge.
I went and sat a stand that I have not sat yet this year behind a big swamp near a lime quarry. There was one fresh scrape and a loaded apple tree. I was in the pines which were getting dark quick. At about 5:55pm I heard something in the pine needles up ahead. I caught a glimpse of an ear and just figured it was a doe... Then it went to the scrape... scraped it and hit the licking branch. I could only see a bit of horn at his base because he was facing mebehind a big pine w/ some openings in it.He stood there for about 10 min w/out moving. Then he came towards the pine and saw that he was a decent buck by Mass standards. He turned broadside but wouldn't come out from behind a clump of branches. He stood there for another 5 min and every time I thought he was going to step out, he would raise his nose and smell... The wind was swirling and I'm sure he smelled me becuase I came in on my quad. He looked like he was going to turn and walk away the way he came... so if found a softball size hole and let one fly... I hit him hard and the hit looked good. He was about 20 yards away... I heard him run... stop... and then I heard him crash. I pulled out (shaking like a leaf) and went back to my inlaws house and got 3 buddies to come in to help me track just in case. We had no problem finding him. I thought he was bigger in the excitement of the tree... a little ground shrinkage took place. Like I said, he is no freak, but the biggest buck I have ever taken in Mass.
Here is a pic in the woods and another where we found him in the brook 60 yards from my stand.

http://i13.tinypic.com/29en3f9.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/40mcnmd.jpg

Any guess on what he'll score?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

Check out the bowhunting forum on this site. A guy shot a potential state record. There is a nice picture of it. The deer is unbelievable!!!!!
It is under the thread HUGE MA BUCK.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

my pics r up check them out guys thanks
Old 10-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics buckmaster!
Congrats'