Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Finally, some good action in WV. >

Finally, some good action in WV.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Finally, some good action in WV.

Old 11-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally, some good action in WV.

I've been hunting my rear off since opening weekend and have only had a couple deer in bow range. I managed to kill a doe a couple weeks ago, but wasn't really seeing any deer. I was in an area with decent white acorns dropping, but the deer didn't seem interested.

I also need to add that I've had one tree stand stolen...our gate to our camp was nearly torn from its hinges, and the local 4-wheeler traffic has turned the fringes of our property into I-79.

Last friday, I hunted the same area of our farm, thinking the rut was close. After sitting till 11 and not seeing a deer, I pulled my stand and set out to find a new spot. I jumped a decent buck and several does on an oak flat, so I decided this was the spot. I'd killed deer here in the past, so I set up 20' high in a white oak.

I didn't hunt it friday evening. First thing saturday, I was in the stand. Just as it was getting light, a decent buck crossed in front of my stand. I judged the distance WAY wrong and shot over him. When I got down to get my arrow, the buck was only 17 steps away. I judged him at a little over 25.

I saw 14 more deer...all does...before 10:00. Then I heard something RIGHT behind me. It was close and in the wind had snuck right in on me. The sound was nearly underneath me when I glanced down and saw 2 ears and horns. The buck ate acorns under my tree for a couple minutes (seemed like an hour) and a couple times he looked up right at me. He never spooked, and finally eased about 5 yards from the tree and looked away. I drew and stuck him through both lungs. He only went about 30 yards and dropped. It was a 7-pt. Nothing magnificent, but a trophy in my book.

Funny how the area was so similar to the one I was striking out in. Guess the deer didn't find it similar.

Saturday afternoon, my wife and I covered a good bit of 400+ acres and didn't find a scrape...and only found a couple rubs. They're not into it on our property yet.

Hope you guys are having fun too!

Old 11-13-2002, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Finally, some good action in WV.

I knew that you would be hittiing it hard as usual....Congrats!!
Old 11-13-2002, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Al,

Congratulations on the buck! I went Friday and Saturday morning too, and while my buddy and I saw one scrape and more than a handful of rubs, we are seeing no rut activity whatsoever. I got a doe, and let's just say he had three shots, and we couldn't find a small 8 pointer he shot. Without bait, we probably would have seen about three deer between us both. Oh, and as we were packing to leave, a spike buck came to within about 10 yards of my deck, staring at us. I wouldn't have shot him anyway, but it is funny how he came right in to the trailer at 11:00, when we wouldn't have had any confidence in seeing deer while on stand!

As I mentioned in another post, rut activity has seemed to go into rifle season more often than not where I am at. Considering the lack of it so far, I imagine we'll see it this year too, if there are any deer around!
Old 11-13-2002, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Christine.

Doug...Congrats on the doe. That's something about that spike. A couple years ago, the 7 of us at camp during rifle season had killed 1 buck by wednesday evening. That night...under the security light in the front yard at the feeder...there were 5 bucks. All were legal and one was a dandy. I think those damn things disappear during the day.

To be honest, our deer look pathetic this year. The does are spindly looking. I sure hope we don't have a real harsh winter, or the die-off could be huge.

Good luck!

Old 11-14-2002, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't think much about it, but wonder if the spike was "rutting" by coming in so close rather than as a result of him being hungry.

Good luck in rifle season! There SHOULD be some rutting activity going on then. I can't wait, myself.