Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Human Urine Effects On DEER >

Human Urine Effects On DEER

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Human Urine Effects On DEER

Old 09-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Human Urine Effects On DEER

Hey guys, I was just wondering your guys's opinion on human urines effects on deer. This is because i know many people have different opinions on whether or not deer can smell it and get alarmed.......Does it spook them or not and ifsowouldit be smart tobottle it. Just curious.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Human Urine Effects On DEER

There was an article in a hunting magazine a few years back where they were doing an experiment with putting different types of urine and what not in scrapes. The scrape with human urine did very well as far as deer coming in to it. I pee right out of the tree, infact I had a doe walk right through where I went just minutes previous.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually try to avoid going near my stand. If I must go, I will walk downwind a ways and dig a depression in the dirt with my boot and go in that and then cover it up with dirt.
Probably doesn't matter though, deer smell piss all day and night and so they are not really concerned, just a natural smell in their surroundings.
I would just as soon not give them ANY clues though because most deer don't drink as much coffee as I do. Sometimes mine smells like fresh brewed.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:21 PM

I piss in every scrape that I find. The ammonia in all animals is what the deer is smelling. Many proven hunters have wrote about how this strategy works. They can't smell it so don't worry about where you piss
Old 09-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmericanArcher

Hey guys, I was just wondering your guys's opinion on human urines effects on deer. This is because i know many people have different opinions on whether or not deer can smell it and get alarmed.......Does it spook them or not and ifsowouldit be smart tobottle it. Just curious.
Deer can smell urine from a long distance when the wind is right so I try to avoid leaving it any place I plan to hunt for the next week. I will try to wait until I get to one of the people trails where the human scent is already strong or until I get to a small stream of moving water so that I don’t contaminate the area I want to hunt during future days.

Of course a deer can also smell your presence every place you walked or on any plants you touched or brushed against for about the next three to five days. That is why I generally wear rubber boots and try to avoid touching anything while I am moving to or from my favorite areas.

That is also why I avoid the people trails while I am hunting and why I do my scouting the winter before I plan to hunt an area. The smartest deer try to avoid those people trails and if they do cross or go near them it is only with great caution.

But, I have also used urine to cause the deer to avoid using a trail I can’t watch or where I can’t take advantage of the wind while set up along that trail. Where two trails split I have urinated on one trail and then set up to watch the other. I have done that with some success, especially in archery season.

Dick Bodenhorn

Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken several deer after urinating right out of my treestand.

I use to hold it until I was done hunting. One day I couldn't hold it and was too lazy to climb down, in my climber,and go. So I went right out of the stand. About a half hour later, here came a doe. She walked right under me. She did not act nervous at all.

Ever since then, I'll got right out of the stand and I haven't noticed it alarming deer. Like I said, I've taken several after going out of the stand.

I'm not what you would call a trophy hunter. Most of my bucks were quite small.

If I were hunting a big bruiser buck, I might not want to give it any hint of anything out of the ordinary. So I probably would not go near the stand. But if you are after does or just any legal buck, go out of the stand.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard that it works good for refreshing scrapes or making mock ones also. This seems to be one of those "individual preferences" topics, and I have really stopped listening to other peoples advice on this. If I have to pee, I pee, but I usually try to hold it in if I can.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

I agree here. Deer problems in your Garden - piss around the boarder and they will stay out. Age old trick to save the veggies.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer absolutely cannot distinquish human urine as that, human urine.

The study mentioned above had human urine, buck urine, doe urine and new car smell. The human urine and buck urine did equally as effective and better than the doe urine and new car smell at attracting animals. Oddly enough the new car smell equalled the doe urine.

This study was done in Bowhunter magazine.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been at it long, have you?
I would quit pissing on my garden if I were you.
Doesn't make for very good salad dressing, DD.

Quick Reply: Human Urine Effects On DEER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.