Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Hunting in bad weather >

Hunting in bad weather

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting in bad weather

Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 AM
jf5

Default RE: Hunting in bad weather

I hunt in almost all weather except heavyrain. I never see many deer movement unless they are pushed by hunters. However, moderate to light rain seems to have zero effect on deer movements.

I love hunting the snowstorms if its early in one. The deer seem to load up before bedding down in a protective area later as the storm rages on. PLus its quiet, but visability can be effected.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:08 PM

i love hunting in the snow. i love to go to bed, with no snow at al on the ground and here on the radio that a storm is coming that night. when i wake up in the morning and see an inch or two of snow, my body becomes much more excited about the hunt. its beautful to sit in a stand while its snowing, even if u dont kill a deer. but hard rain is another thing, ill try to wait it out but if its straight pouring and rain is entering thru my hunting gear, i have to get out of there lol
Old 08-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Two things I have noticed over the years...

Deer move a lot more than people think when it's very windy. I'm talkin' blustery weather. I have shot deer as well as my hunting buddies when the wind howls. I was always led to believe they were much less active because their senses werenot as keenduringhigh winds. That may bethe case but don't tell that to the deer we have shot under those conditions.

Also, immediately after a severe rain storm get youryourself into the woods. Especially those storms that last a few days. To me, as soon as the storm lets up, it is absolutley the best time to be hunting. It seems that every deer in the woods is up and moving. The same may be said for snow but I have noticed more deer activity after the rain.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good points Jimmy I agree fully. Oh and by the way Welcome home Brother.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:07 AM

Ilove hunting in all weather,cant get anything sitting at home
Old 08-05-2006, 07:58 PM

The biggest buck I ever killed was after a blinding white out just before dark. All of the other guys in the area walked out around 1-2pm because of the snow, wind and freezing cold. You can't killem if you aren't in the woods.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll hunt in pretty much anything except heavy downpours. I don't really notice any better movement in nasty weather. I've actually had my best hunting in unseasonably WARM temperatures. Odd but true, as I really don't like getting deer when it's warm, but I'll take em any way I can.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Troutman10

I've been talking with a few people over the past couple weeks and they say to hunt in good weather, but bad weather as well. They say to stick it out and hunt. Theybest deer they've shot have been in really nasty weather. Does that hold true for most of you guys? What is your stance on huntingcrappy weather?
Usually when a storm comes in,snow storm you will see deer in larger numbers following each other...This is totally different when hunting in a thunderstorms and 30+ winds....At the beginning of a winter storm I say like within to a half hour into the stormare the best to hunt ...Thunderstorms I say the deer move around like4 to 6hrs. before the storm hits.. The time usually off some what a bit depends how far away from their bedding area you are also..There are so many factors involved in this... But What I wrote first are the most important times though I believe is true...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:35 PM

I hunt in all weather. I shot my first buck ever in a heavy rain storm 2 years ago. He was walking towards me through some really thick stickers. I watched as he tried to come through a thick stickerbush but couldn't. So he turned broadside and walked into an opening right on the otherside of a large oak tree. I took him with my first shot. I measured the distance from where I shot him and it was only 12 1/2 yards. I was amazed to see such a buck just out wandering around in that heavy of a rain storm. I watched the weather when i got home that evening and they said the rain was coming down at about 2 inches an hour. That's alot. Ever since then I hunt in every weather condition. That's what Gortex is for.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I love bad weather in general, so I REALLY like hunting in it. I never see hunters when I hunt in the rain. I just leave the cellphone in the car (learned that lesson too many times) and then go about my business.

Quick Reply: Hunting in bad weather

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.