Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
The Bucks are on the move in NY >

The Bucks are on the move in NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

The Bucks are on the move in NY

Old 11-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Bucks are on the move in NY

I just got back from my camp in southern tier NY, after a wknd of archery. There was 4" of snow, temps in the high 20's, low 30's all wknd, continous snow light to heavy since friday eve. But we saw 5 bucks, 3 were definite shooters. All were moving as searching for a receptive doe. I followed 1 bucks tracks, and he was zigzagging checking every little thick, brush pile he could in his path. The Bucks are ready, wandering, and waiting for the doe to come in heat. GET READY!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The Bucks are on the move in NY

Where were you hunting?

I hunted in South Gilboa over the weekend, and it was more like 2 inches of snow over there, and not a whole lotta movement.

Our group only saw 4 deer and they were all does.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Bucks are on the move in NY

Catskill, I hunt in Cortland Co. Up to this wknd we had only seen 2 small bucks, and alot of fawns. Last yr at this time we'd seen several real nice bucks. I was starting to get frustrated, and it became obvious the deer were moving more at night. Our mock scrapes were being visited nightly, and the deer appeared to be moving again after 10am. Totally different then last yr. But some of the nights were so moon bright I could've shot my bow, so I guess the movement isn't surprising. Maybe it was the snow we got, it always seems snowfall down there gets them moving good. I found out later that one buck I followed for aways (nice one too)my brother picked up his track about 100yds from where I left him, and followed it. He made 6 scrapes in one spot, and ran into a group of deer, and went with them. This was 8:35am I saw him go by near my setup. All of the 5 bucks we saw were in early morning hrs. 2 my brother rattled in with his rattling bag. It was since to finally see a bunch!! DEC claims the Rut should start next week by their biologists calculations. Guess what I'm Bowhunting!!!!