Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Place to hunt in MD >

Place to hunt in MD

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Place to hunt in MD

Old 11-02-2002, 01:16 PM

Default Place to hunt in MD

Does anyone know of a place to hunt in Maryland besides the wmas...I would really like to find a club to join....
Old 11-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Place to hunt in MD

Depends on were you live. You might want to try eastern shore Pocamoke State Forest..

Old 11-02-2002, 05:32 PM

I live in southern maryland. But after talking to the local club and local wma guys I feel its way to crowded to hunt here. I would perfer a club in the north east.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if your worried about crouds then you might really consider private property or a lease. Public land in this state gets hammered hard and the quality of the deer isin't that good on public land...

Old 11-04-2002, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Did you try the club that hunts at Redgate? Their lease is only two years old. The land is good, and last I heard, the prices are reasonable to join, depending upon your "method."

<font color=green>How many vegetables had to die to make your stupid salad!</font id=green>
Old 11-06-2002, 04:16 AM

Where are they located at and do you know who or how I can contact them....
Old 11-11-2002, 05:47 AM

I hunt the MB WMA in Montgomery county and on Sat it is a little crowded but the key for me has been to get far into the bush as possible. Due to the number of hunters, I feel the game has been driven back into the hard to reach areas (most people don't enjoy long hikes, with weapon, stand, etc). So I try to get there early, get in deep, and let the other hunters &quot;drive&quot; the deer towards me. If you're into ducks/geese, I've seen hundreds of woodies and several Canadians there too.
For bow hunting, I head up to Liberty Res in Carroll/Baltimore counties. There are very large numbers of deer there (I've seen over 20 during one hunt on Sat). During the week is great, but on Sat can get busy.
Also have heard great things about WMAs in Washington and Allegany too. I plan on checking those out soon so I can use my 30-30 for rifle season.
Good luck!
Old 11-11-2002, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I had this same conversation at the range today. Fredrick Watershead!!!!! You won't find it on the WMA webpage, it's located above Gambril State Park off of 40. I hate to give away my best locations, there are 3 ponds up there once you pass the third pond there is a rock crevice that extends for 1 mile deer can't jump or walk through. Setting up on either end will spell sucess, the level of sucess depends on the end you set up on. The far end there are no easy way to get to other than walk. Dragging a deer out is hard but the larger the deer the more it's worht the mile drag.

Old 11-13-2002, 07:11 AM

MD has many thousands of acres of public hunting. Look at your hunting book very carefully. Almost every county has multiple places. I have permission for a couple farms but I sometimes hunt public property. During bow season if I dont go on Saturday I am usually the only one hunting there. And believe it or not when other hunters show up they are usually hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Regular firearms season is different. Opening day you might not even find a place to park. After opening day the number of hunters drops off and on weekdays you can have good hunting without the crowds.

Savage river state forest in Garrett co. has over 50,000 acres of public hunting. Green ridge in Allegheny co. has 30,000 acres. If you dont go on Saturday it can be good hunting.

Personally I would not go to a public hunting place on a Saturday during gun season.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:51 AM

Can anyone tell me when the Bow season ends? I'm am going to be in the MD area during Turkey day and thinking of spending some time in the woods. Maybe I will have some luck down there....

Quick Reply: Place to hunt in MD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.