Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 fall bear hunting in maine >

fall bear hunting in maine

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

fall bear hunting in maine

Old 06-03-2006, 07:32 PM

Default fall bear hunting in maine

Looking for a fall archery bear hunt in Maine, over bait. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: fall bear hunting in maine

What part of the state are you going to ?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I highely recommend Turnpike Ridge Outfitters out of Medway, ME

Don Helsrom
HCR 69 Box 558
Medway, ME 04460
207-746-5860

He offers spring in Quebec where I hunted with them and the fall hunts for bear, moose, whitetails etc in ME...Again, Highly recommended.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

Watch out if you want a traditional hunt..there is this one guy that traps them with a leghold and then you walk up and shoot them....not much of a hunt IMO
Old 06-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Bear hunting over bait in Maine is pretty widespread and regulated. I don't hunt bears but frequently see the bait stands while deer hunting. I would have to say that almost all of the outfitters are good and adhere to the rules set forth by Maine F&W. The state is full of bears and baiting is extremely effective at luring them in. I doubt that trapping one would ever be necessary to get a client a shot.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

Yea Champlain..I have bear hunted 6 times and always over bait.I interviewed this guide from Maine this year that traps a bear in legholds and than you shoot them...Honest to God...he thought that was the way to bear hunt.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:37 PM

Leg Hold traps????!!!!! and then shoot them???!!!! that is not for me. I haven't really decided what part of the state I'm going yet. I met a business acquaintance from maine a few weeks ago and he also recommended turnpike ridge outfitters.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maine is full of guides and what area would make a difference. Some parts of the states has alot of bears and other parts do not. For instance
southern Maine has some bears while northern Maine has a quite a few,
and the eastern Maine they are a problem as the population just keeps growing. So the first thing is to decide where you are going to be hunting them at.

And legg hold traps ? I'm not sure where that idea came from. How ever Maine has a trapping season on bears and
they are only allowed one per year. With a very limited number of bear trappers you would be hard pressed to find
someone trapping them for somebody else to shoot. And even then if they were found out about they wouldn't be hunting and trapping for quite a while.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

here is a link to the Maine outdoor guides.Maine Professional Guides Association. good luck looking through them, there is a huge number of them. as far as trapping them goes, trapping in Maine for bears is highly regulated. there are a few guides that do it, and you can either use your own trap, or theirs. however, you must have a valid trapping licencse to do so. one bear is the limit. i read an article within the past year in Bear Hunting Magazine that was about trapping bear in Maine, that might be a place for someone who maybe interested in doing so to check into. i would recommend contacting the state for a bear harvest report. i did, and they sent me a town by town report of how many were killed in each town. this may be a way for you to narrow your search; the more kills reported, the higher i would assume the bear population. areas of harvests in double figures would indicate a guide service( to me at least) located near by. i have been to Down East Maine three times in the last four years, and there is a nice population there.three years running, i got a shot on the first night out. my friend up there just saw one this week that he says will go right now around the four hundred mark, dressed. i wasn't going to go this year, but am starting to reconsider. this huge brute was less than a mile from where i harvested last year's bear. hmmmmmmm......... Pat
Old 06-13-2006, 07:46 PM

Does anyone have any info about Allagash Guide Service? Just wondering about them. I have heard from about 4th hand information that they are a pretty good outfit. Any comments????? Thanks

Quick Reply: fall bear hunting in maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.