Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 undercover wardens: when should they sting? >

undercover wardens: when should they sting?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

undercover wardens: when should they sting?

Old 03-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: undercover wardens: when should they sting?

ORIGINAL: AJ52

where in the world did you get this "information", is this a hypothetical thought as to what happened up there?
"So - His 1st day out UC spots these 2 clowns with no blaze orange(illegal here,400 sq" + hat) walkin to truck with shot guns in hand.Both perps are seen leaving a WMA from a "No Hunting" refuge. He then sees the guys eject 5 shells each from there slug slingin shot guns(illegal here,only 3 shells allowed with plug inserted).Both guys then lean there weapons against vehicle(illegal here).They get in vehicle and drive off.UC sets up road block down road and apprehends both perps."

Now - these 2 clowns go to court with attny in tow and get smacked with $500 fines each,revoked hunting for 6 months.

Fish and Game made the bust - Johnny on the Spot,got convictions - BUT did they catch the perps that they highly supected of more serious crimes - NO! These 2 guys are back in the woods in 6 months or sooner if they disregard hunting revocation.

How do you suppose Fish and Game should get these clowns outa the woods for 5yrs+ or maybe some jail time.Stop them from breaking game laws and stealing MY legal game.
speaking fromwhat i know, i have yet to see people get more than six months to a year, if that, for wildlife violations. generally speaking the state gives them up to a 3 year loss of hunting and fishing privelidges, and in the case of big game violations, a fine of up to 1000 per big game violations( replacement value of the animal) .it is highly unlikely a person would ever get five years for wildlife violations unless you are running some kind of smuggling ring or involve a federally protected species. and let's face it, even if you take away a person's weapons and tags, they are still going to take game out of season if they so choose. face it, no matter what kind of punishment you may come up with, sooner or later the person will be back out in the woods, legally or otherwise. i don't condone the breaking of the laws, but am smart enough to realize the punishment is only a bandaid for the problem.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 AM

and let's face it, even if you take away a person's weapons and tags, they are still going to take game out of season if they so choose. face it, no matter what kind of punishment you may come up with, sooner or later the person will be back out in the woods, legally or otherwise.
Unfortunately, you may be right.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought my scenerio was rather obvious to make a point on HOW LONG UC agent should go under and why he should wait until he gets the violation(s) for which he is waiting and has sufficient prior knowledge of.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with AJ. I'm glad the DNR man waited long enough to get them on some serious crimes, and hopefully get those idiots out of the woods...

So in answer tothe question how long should he wait? I'd say long enough to get evidence of whatever serious offense they are suspected of. He obviously did a good job and will hopefully get convictions on all counts, judos to him.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vtbuckrulrss

i don't condone the breaking of the laws, but am smart enough to realize the punishment is only a bandaid for the problem.
Well perhaps this is just one mile marker on these goobers path of life. Hopefully they gain a little education like:

1.Think about "why" the new guyis talking about how he like seal meat.

2.realize that YOU are probably being monitored

3. Don't bend over to pick up the soap.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:05 PM

Though this incident may make these guys stop and think I doubt they will ever catch on. As you have said, they may think about how foolish it is to eat seal meat. They might even begin to realize that someone is always watching. They definately will learn not to bend over to pick up the soap. The unfortunate thing about it all is that they will probably never really understand why what they did was wrong. They will probably never develope the ethics needed to not take the easy route, and enjoy the chase. After all, the chase is ultimately why we're all out there. I forget who said it, but we've all heard it before; "Ethics is what we do in the woods when we're alone." or something like that.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

vt - after all this I don't know where you thought this would go or where you wanted this to go.

But here is where it it. These "perps" may or may not have been "entrapped" but the fact remains that they are FOOLS.

I don't know if you have a sense of sticking up for them or you feel you have to minimize what they did for some unknown reason.

They are fools plain and simple. I won't play around with this and play word games. They are fools.

The lesson to be learned here is recognize what's in front of your face - and move on (away from it).

Make these folks problems - none of yours.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:05 PM

well, ive spent the last twenty minutes reading this thread and have come to a few conclusions, first i hate seeing others bash on people, bad judgement can be pointed out but name calling is not the way to express your opinion so people will listen.

UC leos have a hard job. most are good and some are bad. like any other job. i think that he was an expierenced leo and waited the time to convict for serious offenses.

as i believe flairball mentioned the u/c senerio of drunk driving for a drug dealer, it make sense that he waited for more charges to apply.

if i believed the perps were capabile of more acts, i wouldnt want them fined, i would want them jailed.
if you get fined for shooting out of a vehicle, small infraction, poss suspension of hunting/fishing rights for some time, do you think it would stop them from doing these things. should they be allowed to? drunk driving (not a wildlife issue) doesnt affect hunting rights at all, spotlighting / poaching out of season should not be tolerated by sportsman or looked the other way. but combining these things shows the reckless history and neglect for the law. shows an individual that should not hunt and should not be given the opportunity to continue to break the law. honest hunters and fisherman see violations all the time, do they report it?

these are not kids with toys these are MEN with FIREARMS, getting them out of the woods is important, my hats off to the DEC or whatever L/E.

if you think the DEC guy (or girl) joined because he was picked on in school and wants to mess with people or is just a "tree hugger"think again. i invite you to read the job requirements to fill a position with DEC.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dmb/eco.html

oh by the way as we use to say in the Marines

DISCIPLINE IS WHAT YOU DO WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING

one more wrinkle in this is appearance, if this was in the news or media, how does it make all hunters look.
if i have to hear one more joke about dick cheney, ill barf, if someone made a joke about me poaching over this incident, they would possibly get a bloody nose.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better check your state DUI/Probation regs.
Drunk Driving conviction in many states does affect your hunting rights and in some cases more than a direct violation of Wild Life Regs.