Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 new yorkers we may be hunting boar soon :) >

new yorkers we may be hunting boar soon :)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

new yorkers we may be hunting boar soon :)

Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default new yorkers we may be hunting boar soon :)

it seems that a boar was shot in the bristal vally of upstate new york. they assume that it was from a farm that offers controled hunts and their game is these european, russian boars. pic was of a long, dark haired boar with 3-4" tusks. apparently there are several loose and the discovery of this was when they harrassed a penned horse and caused the owner to contact the DEC (department of environmental conservation). the horse needed stitches but is o.k. people have said the boar(s) are dangerous to man but mostly chooses to stay distant of humans. however i also read or herd (can't remember) that they are very fiesty and harrass theother wildlife. article was in the news paper Honeoye Hareld.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new yorkers we may be hunting boar soon :)

Yes European boar are no joke, hunted them in Germany, they can and have killed dogs and men! And if they breed with escaped domestic there will be lots and lots of boar roaming around! They are no joke![8D]
Old 03-05-2006, 07:46 PM

The game commision stocked them to kill off the coyotes they stockedand the mountain lions...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

About a month or so ago I posted an article I read in the Syracuse Newspaper on a Russian Boar shot this past deer season in Cortland Co. I checked the Syracuse websight, and couldn't find the link to it. Might be able to find it here, if do a search for "Wild Boar in NYS" under Northeast regional.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

They're destructive and dangerous , be careful what you wish for .
Old 03-06-2006, 06:34 PM

I remember, waaay back when I was a young Army signal/cavalry officer, seeing eleven wild pigs cross a tank trail in front of my jeep at Grafenwohr. There were three "momma" pigs, eight"baby" pigs, and one big "daddy." And the tusks on that porker were at least 4", fromwhat I could see. And theredidn't appear to be an ounce of faton him.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

They can breed often, and in large numbers. Hope they aren't multiplying here.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

They're destructive and dangerous , be careful what you wish for .
That is why they almost pay a bounty on them in Germany. They can tear up an acre or more a night of ground, rooting underneath. They will eat eggs, and small animals (babies) like rabbits and quail, etc.

So you are right destructive and harmful to environment and farms! Also, every year hunters are killed by boars, and they have been known to attack as a hunter was moving towards a tree stand. ANd the cost in hunting dogs, seen em split from tail to chin by a boar!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Phade

They can breed often, and in large numbers. Hope they aren't multiplying here.
Twice a year up to 12-14 each litter, and can have a second litter while the others are less than a year old. The females can breed at one year! [>:]
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Irish Yankee

The game commision stocked them to kill off the coyotes they stockedand the mountain lions...
LOL!!

I would love to hunt then but not at the cost of destroying everything.

Quick Reply: new yorkers we may be hunting boar soon :)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.