Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY and general NE mild winter >

NY and general NE mild winter

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY and general NE mild winter

Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default NY and general NE mild winter

Being that winter is nearing an end (although a bit to go still), it has been relatively mild. I think this will bode extremely well for us deer hunters in the next few years, and even more so if we can string next winter along in a similar pattern.

I predict this will certainly help out the deer population to rebound. If we can add next winter to the list, I think 2-3 years down the road, harvest numbers will increase quite noticeably.

I'm surprised this hasn't been hit upon yet. I understand snowfall wise we are about average, but temp wise I believe we are somewhat above a typical winter.

Any comments?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:33 PM

Default RE: NY and general NE mild winter

I agree - it has been a mild winter.

The herd will rebound if - and only if - they keep DMP down for a couple years.

I believe that the buck harvest has hit bottom and will bounce back a little next year. Subsequent years is directly dependent on the number of does harvested.

I see that the DEC now claims credit for the reduction in deer, and the harsh winters and high winter kill of 02-03and 03-04 are considered secondary impacts.

I hope that means they realize that sending hunters out with pocketfulls of doe tags will reduce the herd, and will react accordingly since 2/3 of the states dmu are well below target levels.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:41 PM
jf5

Phade I think no one metnioned it yet because they don't want to jinx it.

But yeah, so far so good. Early Feb had the deer still on the acorns in one of my hunting areas. Thats a very good sign!! After several harsh winters, I am ready for a string of mild ones. Even if my ice fishing suffers.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

No jinx here!

I'm still taking the wait and see approach, but I feel assured that many of the yearling/fawn mortality rates relating to weather/starvationwill be considerably less. The impact of the DEC with DMP's are another thing to consider on the same end result.

Biologically speaking, I hope the fawn-drop period is tolerable. If that is the case, I think we'll be set for a good rebound.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:12 AM

In my opinion, the temps of winter in our region of NY have little bearing on the deer herd. I still dont believe there was a winterkill of the DEC's described intensity, at least not in the Fingerlakes Region. Give me a fairly mild and not too wet spring, then we're talking! Fawns will drop according to last falls breeding period and overall doe health. Less deer=favorable breeding sequence=fawn birth dates in a favorable period.

If I had a crystal ball, Id say a few more years of fewer deer numbers, coupled with hunting pressure on coyotes and free ranging dogs will help the deer bounce back best, better then mild winters. I feel we had too many deer long enough to overpopulate coyotes to the point that they are affecting the fawn crop. Once coyote numbers balance, the deer numbers will adjust, if they even need to. Remember, this is all from a guy (me) who feels these current deer numbers are more in line to what they should be in most (not all!) areas. Interesting post, Phade.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox
Remember, this is all from a guy (me) who feels these current deer numbers are more in line to what they should be in most (not all!) areas. Interesting post, Phade.
Interesting opinion, Bill.

You must still be in a good section.

DEC states that 2/3 of WMU are still significantly below target levels. That means they feel that most (not all) areas are not in line where they should be.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: thesource

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox
Remember, this is all from a guy (me) who feels these current deer numbers are more in line to what they should be in most (not all!) areas. Interesting post, Phade.
Interesting opinion, Bill.

You must still be in a good section.

DEC states that 2/3 of WMU are still significantly below target levels. That means they feel that most (not all) areas are not in line where they should be.
While I understand the DEC has reduced DMP #'s, I'd like to know where you got sources on this. 2/3's? That conflicts with the information I have recieved from my multiple DEC contacts.

They've all stated the same thing, and say the WMU's are more along the lines of 10-20% significatnyl under, 10-20% significantly over, and the remainder in the middle within their scope. Every single biologist I've spoken to in the past month from the DEC has stated this with their recent harvest numbers that came in last month.

I'm just curious as to the source of that 2/3's being under? It can't be simply DMP #'s because they lowered all but one WMU this past season....which was mine, 8H.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Phade

While I understand the DEC has reduced DMP #'s, I'd like to know where you got sources on this. 2/3's? That conflicts with the information I have recieved from my multiple DEC contacts.
Straight from the horse's mouth: (as opposed to thesource's mouth)

Deer populations vary considerably throughout New York and approximately 20 % of the current Wildlife Management Units (WMU) have deer populations that are within 10 % of desired levels. About 15 % of the units have deer populations greater than desired while the remaining two thirds of the units have lower than desired deer populations.

It's just a standard press release from DEC - its not earthshattering news.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2006/200622.html

I wouldn't make it up.....
Old 03-03-2006, 02:51 PM

What do you think about the call in method of reporting your deer tags?

Do you think it is more or less effective than it was when you mailed in the tags or does it pretty much wash out?

There is a stand of pines that I set a few traps in for coon in the winter and I usually find 4 - 10 winter kill deer in this one stand of pines depending on the severity of the winter - I have not found any yet this winter. I am seeing good numbers of deer still out in the fields near my house where the wind has blown off the snow and I am seeing some nice flocks of turkey too. I've been watching a few nice Toms in these flocks and counting the Days to MAY -
Old 03-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: thesource

ORIGINAL: Phade

Straight from the horse's mouth: (as opposed to thesource's mouth)

Deer populations vary considerably throughout New York and approximately 20 % of the current Wildlife Management Units (WMU) have deer populations that are within 10 % of desired levels. About 15 % of the units have deer populations greater than desired while the remaining two thirds of the units have lower than desired deer populations.

It's just a standard press release from DEC - its not earthshattering news.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2006/200622.html

I wouldn't make it up.....
Never thought you did. Interesting info topic.

Quick Reply: NY and general NE mild winter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.