Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine >

Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

Old 02-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

I am as excited as a 12 with a Penthouse. My wife just told me that she is lining up a moose hunt for mein Main this September. This is a really cool deal for me...I have one problem, I know absolutely nothing about MOOSE. Ive only seen one wild moose in my life, and that one was being chased by a bunch of drunk British airmen with a lasso. I'm pretty sure this is NOT the proper way to bag a moose and intend on a different strategy when the time comes. Dose any one have any information on the subject of moose hunting "Especially in Maine". I will be hunting with a 7mm mag. and I also know how to survive in the woods so I have pretty good idea as to the type of gear Ill be packing. I just need info as what expect In a September Hunt and what are good hunting strategies I can use to get one. Any good information will be geatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 AM

Default RE: Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

Well first off, getting a tag for a moose in Maine is like winning the lottery (lottery drawing for a limited number of tags). Since the lottery has not been drawn yet for the year I wonder how you would be going moose hunting??

Most of the hunting is done from logging roads. Makes covering alot of ground quicker and it's easier to transport the moose once you get one instead of quartering/dragging/etc if you hike back in.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the odds of getting drawn are pretty remote. In fact if you haven't put in for a tag yet I think the lottery closes in a week or two. Do a google search on "newfoundland" and "moose hunting" and good luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

From what Sgt, sounded like, he's looking for a "do it yourself" hunt, which would not be available to him in NL (as a nonresident, you are obliged to use the services of an outfitter).

I would look at Maine and New Hampshire as possibilities. Enter in both. Maine, you can buy multiple entries (may be unlimited). So, if your wife is willing to drop the cash, you will have a much better chance of being selected. In New Hampshire, you can have one entry. If you don't get selected, which you'll know by end of June; and are intent on shooting a moose; find an outfitter in either Ontario, Quebec or New Foundland. It will not be cheap, but your chances of success will be very high. New Foundland is a beautiful place to go, if you've never visited. It's also plentiful in Moose, despite the fact there has been a recent poaching problem.

As far as strategies, people have their differences just like deer hunting or any other type of hunting. Here in Quebec, most people try to call the moose in by imitating a female cow. In NL, at least those I spoke with, it's more spot and stalk style hunting, but I suppose that would depend on the outfitter.

Just remember, you are dealing with an animal that will range from 500 lbs to 1,200 with a very high likelihood of right in the 700 -900 lb range if you shoot a bull. The logistics of hauling an animal of this size out of the woods by yourself represents a far greater challenge than a whitetailed (or any other animal we normally hunt here in North America).

If I'm alone, which I rarely am, my thinking is to use the wench on my ATV to drag the moose near a couple of trees; then use the wench around the trees to get the legs out of the way, so I could start the cleaning process. After that, it's up to gravity and a good knife.

I installed a 3,000 lb wench on the front end of my trailer and have installed a 3,000 lb so that once I get the moose close to the trailer, I can use my wench to bring it in.

Your alternative is quartering, but you're still talking about huge amounts of weight to drag out of the woods.

Not to beat a dead horse too much, or should I say moose, you then have to find a way to cool the body. Anticipate a pulley system capable of hoisting this much weight up and a rack that will enable you to hange the animal from a minimum of 12 feet (14 would be better).

Good luck... can't wait to see pics.

Cheers,
Old 02-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW unless you are talking about a fenced hunt by a farm owner its tough. I have been applying since 1984 and have not been drawn yet. But who knows mabey this year we both will be picked. I do have the max bonus points. Mike
Old 02-13-2006, 04:02 PM

I'm not entirely sure how the lottery works. I have a relative who lives in Maine who is going to put in for a resident tag and add me to her hunting party. Then I apply as nonresident with her listed in my hunting party.She said this will greatly increase my chances for a tag. If it don't happenthe wifesaid I could go on a bear hunt.
I have figured on the size and weight of the animal, and wasintending on quartering the beast where it falls. I have a collection of large coolers to put the meat on ice afterI de-bone it at the house. I am intending on doing this with out a guide and I don't believe in High Fencing or Farm Hunts. Ive been fairly productive with a spot and stalk on white tails. Iwas thinking the same strategy should be effective. The whole Moose calling thing, I'm really not sure about. Ive never heard a moose it the wild,so I don't have any thing for reference or experience to call on. As ya ll can see I'm new to the whole moose thing and hope I don't sound like to much of a low lander. But you gotta start somwhere.Thanks for the response so far.....
Old 02-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even with the increased odds, I'd still be planning the bear hunt. But good luck, I hope you do get one! Although a bear hunt isn't a bad consolation prize.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM

Maine lottery is available till April 20th. I have been applying for many years. I also apply in VT and NH. Getting a shot is nothing compared to the work after. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wild outdoorsman, how many times have you gotten drawn for Maine?
Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 PM

Well Im still hopeing, My sister inlaw got her app today and sent it to me. Man I hope this'll work out..

Quick Reply: Need Information on Moose Hunting in Maine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.