Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Looking for a good population of coyote in Md >

Looking for a good population of coyote in Md

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Looking for a good population of coyote in Md

Old 02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for a good population of coyote in Md

Wondering if anybody knew of an area with a good population of coyote in Maryland? It's kinda hit and miss in most place's.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Looking for a good population of coyote in Md

if u find a place, i will come and we can blast them.........never shot one before but .22-250 is hungry for one
Old 02-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know there in the mountains, but in the 30 years I've hunted there I've only seen 1... We tryed the calling thing but no luckYotes arent my specialty
Old 02-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think coyotes are probably a lot more common then some would suspect and figure most any deer country in western MD, central MD, as well as the eastern panhandle of WV, has it's population (probably thriving). I think what this area lacks is a lot of experienced predator hunters. I think if you mastered calling and set-up techniques as well as timing your hunting correctly (nightime after a fresh snow, etc), you could do well enough to keep yourself entertained. Move frequentlyfrom place to place.reading sign. get a quality electronic (if allowed) and manual calls.....give 'em hell.

I sure would like to go myself (if I could find the time).
Old 02-11-2006, 05:44 AM

hillbilly is right. The thickest coyote populations in Maryland can be found from Frederick westward, in the mountains. A good friend of mine is one of the top trappers in the state, and he was featured in an article in the Baltimore Sun just a couple of months ago. The article explained that coyotes are not talked about much in public, mainly due to their nocturnal patterns. For the most part, people aren't aware they're around. Whatever the case, their populations are much more dense in the western part of MD.

One of the keys to hunting them successfully is having A LOT of land to hunt. Each setup should be at least a mile or two away from one another, so for most of us, one hunting property would only allow you to set up in one spot... Get lots of permission from a lot of farmers and then you can make a night of it!

Old 02-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks, I've found them in the Frerick watershed and Hagerstown, but haven't wandered to further west locations like Dan's mountain and Greenridge. I can usually get two a day in both locations, usually foxes are the first to come in though ruining the sets. Also the eastern shore has a good population though you have to ask alot of permission, the fox issue is worse there though, that how I started this varmint hunting, turkey season would get ruined because every set would end with fox comming in before any turkey would
Old 02-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crimedog can you give some pointer on killing yotes???
Old 02-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in the most eastern part of Fred Co and have only ever seen 1. I would love to shoot one though.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know they are spreading though, saw one this year in Dorchester county.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Sound like a rabbit dieing, usually I have my wife sing and that does it. Seriously there is a call Tweedy made by verminaters (Rick Pallet) that works well during all times of the year, I've got a few calls but that one works most of the time. Mossy I've killed 13 in the last two years at the Watershed. In Dorchester where my Hunt Club is I've seen 5 that will never be seen again, the foxes ruin the hunt most times. When you have foxes tackle your turkey decoy is a little anoying, if you want one Mossy I will give you a call in a couple weeks and we can visit the watershed or my Dads property near South Mountain.

Quick Reply: Looking for a good population of coyote in Md

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.