Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 HARD TO FIND HUNTING LAND/LEASE/CLUB, ANY SUGGESTIONS? >

HARD TO FIND HUNTING LAND/LEASE/CLUB, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

HARD TO FIND HUNTING LAND/LEASE/CLUB, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 AM

Default RE: HARD TO FIND HUNTING LAND/LEASE/CLUB, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I would listen to Slice if I were you.....hes the smartest man in Waynesboro!!!!!!!

See I told ya so!!!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:06 PM

ive been looking into this topic, you can write down addresses to land that looks promising and look them up either at the county clerks office, or try to online, i havent contacted anyone yet but i have a good idea how to find the #s and such.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe I'm just a lucky person but I rarely have had this problem, the Fredrick Watershed is a great peice of public land to hunt, been hunting for 21 years there and rarely have I seen other hunters.My Dadhas property in Smithsburg, Md and Iknow some good public land that buts up to my Dad's land, the onlypermission you'll have to ask is if you can park on hislane. If you have a decent 4wd that you don't mind scratchingor anATV, you don't even need that. I'll get some directions for you, if you turkey hunt I'll even show you, that goes for all of you.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:07 PM

crimdog--

any chance we can negotiate a deal about your fathers land. I love to hunt, but hate public land. I am willing to work for good hunting opportunities.i will email you, reply if you like what you hear, thanks alot buddy.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:05 PM
jf5

Geterdon,

The guys have offered what appears to be good tips on some specific public lands (names included)that appear to be lightly hunted. With alldue respect... why do you write it off so fast?? Because it has the "public" label on it?? There are good public lands in many states. Some of these areas get forgotten and sometimes you find a great little spot. I hunted private land in my state for three years in a row. Two years ago we lost the privalage. I had to tredge back to public lands, and found three areas withalmost no pressure, one beinga serioushoney hole (great oak flat) I was able to take my first buck in my home statein a long time. Not all public lands are the same. If you do some legwork, you may be surprised. The hunting at my new public spot is better than the private land!!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM

geterdun,
Take crimedog up on the offer. Public or private. (I sure am for coyotes). It took me a while to realize but public land is public, however the majority of the public (excuse me if I offend anyone) is lazy. The only part of public land that a majority of your recreational hunters know is that part of the land 1/4 mile and closer from the parking lot. If you love the land the way you say then your the hunter that will walk deep into the woods (hour or hour and 1/2 maybe longer) where no one else will go. I work quite a bit but I will be more than happy to go get lost in the woods. (I do not have a gps but I have a compass).
Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Amen, scrapdawg!! There's been alot of suggestions posted here for public and suggestions for obtaining private. 100 acre farms that you hunt all by yourself are a rarity in MD, and almost never simply fall into your lap. It takes effort. Knocking on doors, sending letters, posting classifieds in the paper, ect, ect. Even hunt clubs with alot of land are becoming hard to get into anymore. Anyway you go, public or private, you're gonna have to put some work in. Public land is definately not as bad as everyone thinks. Simply put in some time, do some leg work, and you can definately score on public land. MD has some real good public land opportunities out there. Green Ridge is like 18,000 acres, Savage is bigger than that. Sure, they get pressure, but you can get away from the crowds if you put in effort. The only other thing I can suggest is to buy the Herald-Mail NewsPaper out of Hagerstown and keep an eye on the classifieds in the next couple months. There's a landowner who lists a classified for land to lease for the spring turkey season usually. He's listed the last several years. If your hellbent on getting land to yourself, this may be a good route for you.

Slice
Old 02-15-2006, 11:23 AM

I'm gonna shimmy out on a limb here and say our boy geterdun is a bit on the lazy side. Your not gonna make 500 posts on a hunting forum and have people shower you with chunks of private land to hunt. Most of us that have private land to hunt, have worked hard for it and are not going to be real willing to let anyJoe blow off the street come in and possibly mess things up for us. A bunch of these guys have given you great advice, it will take some time and effort but it should pay off for you in the long run. I dont think your gonna get real far by continually starting threads asking for hunting land. With that said I know your hell bent against public land, but I would be willing to show you aroundsome publicareas that are pretty sweet. Public land is money in MD, I dont even look for private land anymore, more than enough public to keep me busy.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/fcw.html

Nobody hunt this, 21 years and I've had 1 person other than my father walk by me.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:48 PM
jf5

7000 acres and comments like this!!

"Recent cuts to salvage timber killed by gypsy moth defoloiation has enhanced the area for grouse and deer. "

I don't hunt MD and this makes we want to go! You guys are damnnice to help this guy out with thsi info!

Quick Reply: HARD TO FIND HUNTING LAND/LEASE/CLUB, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.