Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Any NY Archer's seeing much buck movement? >

Any NY Archer's seeing much buck movement?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any NY Archer's seeing much buck movement?

Old 10-19-2002, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any NY Archer's seeing much buck movement?

My brothers, and I have been hunting our lease since opening southern archery. Were seeing plenty of buck sign. Scrapes, Rubs, droppings. But so far our only buck sighting as been a small spike. Were seeing a bunch of fawns, and few doe. Last year at this time we'd alreadly seen several good bucks. My younger brother came out of his watch at dusk, went back in at dawn and there was a new scrape near his stand. So appears they may be moving more at night. This samething happened to us 2yrs ago. Tons of sign, but few sightings. We stay out of our woods from the end of August until 10/15. We know our land well enough for setups, and bucks always scrape in the same spots year after year, travel pretty much the same routes. Anyone else experiencing this right now???
Old 10-20-2002, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Any NY Archer's seeing much buck movement?

Seen a buck following 2 doe today. Looked to be a big 6.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

The deer have had a good moon to feed by at night. By the opener they had maybe a 2/3 and by the 21st it was full. With that kind of illumination it has been my experience that they will be very active at night. Your next "new moon" will be Nov 4th so that would hopefully put them more on the move at the fringes (dawn/dusk) You might also try to use a SkyScrape dripper to get the deer curious to check the scrapes during the day. They are supposedly designed to drip during the day only. Cant say that I have sat under one all night to make sure that claim is accurate.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

haven't seen many deer while hunting (4 days so far)(doe with y.o.y. and a nice 8 pt. buck - actually jumped him and he stayed put and an hour "stalk" took place - he one - check under bowhunting for more details of a good story)
i have seen a ton of deer in the past week during graylight hours while driving (i would say 40-50 in past week and a half)
Old 10-22-2002, 12:53 PM

Quite a few actually. A spike horn on opening day. A 10 pointer the next day. Two 4/6 pointers and an 8/10 pointer following each other around a few days later. And a fourth (perhaps) that same day. But nothing close enough to shoot. I've seen more bucks than does.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:55 PM

i have seen more people walking around than deer ( seen a 4 pointer 6 and eight pointers on opening week seen nothing since)
Old 11-10-2002, 01:41 AM

i have seen some bucks runing and i have seen some with there nose to the ground .. and my buddy has shot a 120 class 8 point that came out with his nose up a does but....... i have seen lots or scraos and rubs tons of new ones ..........so it's time to rattle and grund hard core .. and by the way my nabor took a nice 7 point that was in rut the smeel and the neck were hugh....

al bowmansville ny
Old 11-11-2002, 04:54 AM
Typical Buck

I know bow is alomost over, but I thought I'd let you know how we did this year. I hunt near Letchworth State Park in Western NY. I hunt with about 10 other guys on 150 acres. We have seen all bucks and very few does. I hunted every weekend during bow and saw 5 different bucks over this season. Usually I see does. I only got 1 chance and missed the same 8 point twice. We can't figure out how come we've seen bucks & no does. The biggest buck taken was a 10 point, 18" spread.

Old 11-11-2002, 10:50 AM

Every buck I have seen has been moving!!! Seriously, me and my buddies have seen many bucks this years, way higher percentage vs does than most years.

Hunting is a right, treat it like a priviledge - respect nature

Quick Reply: Any NY Archer's seeing much buck movement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.