Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WV has a problem.... >

WV has a problem....

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WV has a problem....

Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default WV has a problem....

I'm not sure of the implications of this problem...but it doesn't please me one bit.

I was at our farm for a long weekend in Braxton county. My cousin has been trapping (blindly) for coyotes/bobcats. He went to a seminar this weekend and got some education about trapping. (He had bobcat hair on one trap and another trap was gone)

We went out Sat. evening to set some proper traps, and in the new snowfall, we must have seen the tracks of 15 coyotes....and I am familiar with their tracks, and there was at least 7 in one bunch.

I never realized that we had this many yotes in our area. We may have a huge population in our area....but I'd imagine they're everywhere.

They've called in a couple, but we're hoping to make a bigger dent in the population this spring.

Just a vent/F.Y.I.

Keep an eye out for them.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WV has a problem....

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

I'm not sure of the implications of this problem...but it doesn't please me one bit.

I was at our farm for a long weekend in Braxton county. My cousin has been trapping (blindly) for coyotes/bobcats. He went to a seminar this weekend and got some education about trapping. (He had bobcat hair on one trap and another trap was gone)

We went out Sat. evening to set some proper traps, and in the new snowfall, we must have seen the tracks of 15 coyotes....and I am familiar with their tracks, and there was at least 7 in one bunch.

I never realized that we had this many yotes in our area. We may have a huge population in our area....but I'd imagine they're everywhere.

They've called in a couple, but we're hoping to make a bigger dent in the population this spring.

Just a vent/F.Y.I.

Keep an eye out for them.
..not tryin' to be smart... but where have you been ? this is a state-wide concern, but with liberal seasons and laws affecting varmit hunting, it's something the hunters' can actually DO something about!!! now gettin' 'em out there DOIN" it is another story.............
Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 AM

I live in Barbour Co. I have seen several coyote tracks in my area and have seen a couple coyotes in the field beside of my house. I have been out calling every few days, so far no yotes have came in but i have had to red fox respond to the call. One came in while i was night hunting and i guess i just plan out missed it. The other just kept its distance and never stopped barking. Maybe he could see me, but i couldn't see him or he picked up my scent, I don't but everyone should givepredator hunting a try.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Cabell County and I don't see any at all while deer hunting.
I'd like to get out there and hunt them but I don't know where they are.
Anyone know where I can find them in my area? Does anyone know if there are plentifull in Beech Fork WMA or Chief Cornstalk WMA?

Let me know and i'll get out there and hunt em'

Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Not just any Coyotes, BIG Coyotes. Some upwards of 60 - 70 pounds. They are doing big damage to the deer population in several areas of the state. DNR will not admit it but WV has some serious Coyotes, both in size and number.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rem...I knew they were around. I've killed a few. I just wasn't aware of the numbers of them.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

I live in Cabell County and I don't see any at all while deer hunting.
I'd like to get out there and hunt them but I don't know where they are.
Anyone know where I can find them in my area? Does anyone know if there are plentifull in Beech Fork WMA or Chief Cornstalk WMA?

Let me know and i'll get out there and hunt em'
Danny... my pal lives near Beech Fork, and arrowed a coyote 2 years ago on his place. those hills are full of yotes, and that's a bit tuffer to hunt than open fields.
ironically... DNR controls the varmit hunting,too..... so they should be open and up to date with the #s out there.... I know Hardy Co has more than it's share....
Old 01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd love to hunt them in open fields but I don't have any that I can hunt from. I was thinking of getting out there at Beech Forkwhere they drain the lake and sitting in a ground blind. Imight be able to see them come off the hills that way.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two pics of a yote that looks to be around 75pds on my deer cam. just a huge dog.

This past deer season while doe bleeting with "The Can" 5 differant yotes started barking around me, they are really doing a number on our wild game populations.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

How bad are yotes on turkeys? I've never seen a yote at the cabin, but have neighbors who have so I know they are around. The turkeys looked to be coming back last year, but this year we haven't seen or heard any. Worse yet, a friend of mine found a clump of feathers from one. We don't know if it was killed by something (yote, bobcat, fox, etc.) or just died and got eaten...

Quick Reply: WV has a problem....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.