Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Predator Hunting ......Help!!!! >

Predator Hunting ......Help!!!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Predator Hunting ......Help!!!!

Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Predator Hunting ......Help!!!!

Hello all. I just ordered a Phantam Game Calls Predator call. I am wanting to know if anyone can tell me what sequence of calls to use and how to go about it. Ihave never Coyote hunted before, but here at our hunting cabin in WV we have saw tons of Coyotes this past season. I have several shannys set up in fields whereI can put the speaker far away from me and they will never knowI am watching them. How do I go about a sequence of calls and for how long? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Predator Hunting ......Help!!!!

Prozac,
Where's your cabin at? We saw some also and lots of sign in hardy co.
I'm not sure if the call you have can vary the species of prey animal sounds. If it can I would just stick to one animal at a specific time and place. rabbit is one of the most popular distress callsin fairly long sequence and descending in pitch (as if it is losing strength), frequency would vary probably a few calls fairly quick at first, then 1 everyfive to ten minutes.

I would change calling locations frequently (wouldn't hang out at a specific location for more than 30-40 minutes max without any action). generally, I believe, if you get busted by a coyote before you get a shot, you won't be able to call that coyote in again to the same spot (too smart for that, I believe) I am certainly no expert when it come to predator hunting but have hunted with an expert or two.

If you wantsound expert advice on this, I'd post the question on either the small game/predator forum or the western forum. good luck
Old 01-13-2006, 06:11 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

read all about it here....

http://lewand.tripod.com/barkmoon.html
Old 01-13-2006, 02:15 PM

Hillbillyhunter, our cabin is in Ritchie County right off I-77 Pennsboro. My dad was up at 4 AM and took a leak off the back porch, he heard leaves rustling coming closer, at first he thought it might be deer. He turned around as the noise came closer and here came 2 coyotes rounding the corner of the cabin, they stopped dead in there tracks as they saw him from around the corner.Hestomped his feet and yelled at them (which woke us all up) and they turned and ran off. There were several others spotted here as well. My brother in law saw one running a deer the 3rd day of first week. So since they have never been hunted in this area, I hope they come running to the call and I will be posting pictures. thanks alot for all your help.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:03 AM

I have found that Crow Gathering call works good for coyotes. i also have a phantom wireless game call, works great for any kind of hunting. i got mine at www.bowhuntgear.com they have verry good prices on there game calls.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I never used an electronic call before, but I know that a dying rabbit call will bring those suckers in, and if they are close they usually come running.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe check out the Predator forum as well.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Distress calls, play them constant at moderate volume. Don't switch it up and change volume! just play it until they come in. Pup distress works ok.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:17 AM

What I normally do, is play the sound for 2-3 mins. Depending on the time of year is normally how I decide what calls to use. After the 2-3min call sequence, wait 10-15min and try again. Do that for about 45mins-1hour. Then move on to another spot. A coyote will normally always circle down wind of a call, so make sure to be set up facing down wind or where a coyote can be seen circling. Even if you are in a cabin, there is a good chance they can catch your scent. You are not dealing with a deers nose here. Remember, K9's can sniff out drugs from sealed containers. Good luck, any more questions, then ask. The net is a very good resource, and I learned how to hunt at www.midwestpredatorhunters.com.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Proz,

I was born and raised in Doddridge County...right next door. If you had told someone there were coyotes in the area back then they would have thought you were crazy. Times really change. Good luck with your hunt.

SteveF

Quick Reply: Predator Hunting ......Help!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.