Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 People need to hunt coyotes! >

People need to hunt coyotes!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

People need to hunt coyotes!

Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 PM

Default People need to hunt coyotes!

People need to hunt coyotes, it helps the deer and other game survive the winters and makes them less "spooky" I was talking with a game warden and he has recieved tons of reports that everytime someone sees deer track they are always followed by coyote tracks. He said they need to find a way to spark an interest in coyotes again! In nh there is no closed season and no bag limit. Night hunting is allowed Jan1 - march 31

I am new to coyotes and can say even though I have not shot one yet the small piece of power line stretch that I hunt is like coyote super highway! they are really moving at night and last snow storm I saw tons of deer tracks and we got snow the other night and while out today I saw way less deer tracks. I think the coyotes pushed them out or are making them really nervous about where they are moving!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: People need to hunt coyotes!

I've seen plenty of yote tracks following deer.The problem with yotes is that they are so smart and hard to kill.We had guys spread out in deer rifle season and nobody saw a coyote.Yet in one night they made a gut pile disappear-poof it was gone.
Smart animals they are.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:56 PM

smart? yes they are, if they were not then they wouldn't be in such huge numbers. It is probably some of the most difficult hunting you could do. But really it is fun to go try your luck when there is nothing else to do. as i said before, i myself have not killed one but i go out and track them and learn about there habits and i also see where the deer are coming and going. One of these days it will pay off and I will bag a yote! I use mouth calls and drop a little bait here and there. practice makes perfect. If i wasn't hunting then i would just sleep late and waste my days off.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Count me in this winter to give it a try. I'm gonna take it more serious this year!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 AM

alright foursox, good luck when you go out! try to take some pics so we can see what you scared up!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:16 AM

Don't hold your breath for any pics, all my time afield I rarly see them but their crap and tracks are all over the place!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 AM

I plan on doing some yote hunting this year too. Up until this deer season I saw a total of 1 coyote duringthe season, and that is for over 20 years of hunting. This season aloneI sawfour and shot one of them. Tracks were everywhere and they were definately following deer. It is very obvious that their population is exploding. I even had one a week ago trot across my back yard and start digging in my burn barrel while I watched from my kitchen window. My wife opened the door, yelled at it, and scared it off! And here I thought I was the only one she had that effect on!

I was in Gander Mountian just today eyeballing a 223 and a 22-250. Might just have to make a quick purchase I wasn't planning on making. [:@]
Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never got a chance to shoot one. maybe i'll hunt them more this year. I'm assuming the 243 will be fine right?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

Does anyone know if there are any in Howard or Montgomery county MD? I have see dog tracks this year but we have a bunch of fox chasers so I was thinking it was them. We also have a lot of foxes. Anyone seen any? If so I'll start looking at getting some wounded animal decoys and shooting my 17hmr and 12ga more. :-)
Old 12-29-2005, 06:18 PM

One acquaintance of mine (yes I do have a friend in this world) told me that he knows of someone who hunts coyotes with coon hounds, in camoflage, during the day and with shotguns. They hunt mostly flat terrain, position guys in likely escape routes and put the dogs in the thickets. I heard they get quite a few coyotes this way.In my opinion, any more than 1 coyote is "quite a few". Don't know if it is legal or not in NY State, but sounds like it could work.

Quick Reply: People need to hunt coyotes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.