Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Blaze Orange Bill >

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Blaze Orange Bill

Old 12-16-2005, 02:49 PM

Default NY Blaze Orange Bill

Anyone have more info on the revised blaze orange bill in NY. I read in the NY Outdoor News I got today that a revised blaze orange bill was proposed.

The story said 250 sq./in. of BO, solid or patterned and applies to deer and bear hunters using rifles, shotguns, revolvers and pistols.

I would like to know the bill numbers for this so I know exactly what the bill says and will mean for the NY gun season for deer next year for me.

It said in the story that Pataki has vetoed two blaze orange bills in the past. Those bills, according to the story, required 400 sq. in. of BO and I guess it was required for all hunters including turkey and waterfowl hunters where the game can pick up on the BO.

When deer hunting in NY, I always wear as a minimum a BO vest and hat on the ground whether I am just standing there or moving around. When up in the stand I try not to wear BO, but last year the only warm hat I wore was BO and cost me a deer because even though dear don't see as we seethe orange on brown, but the deer see it as something out of the ordinary.

IMO, I think the bill is good except I don't think it should be required if you are in a tree 10 or 12 ft. above the ground. I highly doubt if a hunter hears movement in a tree above him, he is going to shoot at the sound in the tree.

Again, if anyone could tell me the bill number(s) and feel free to comment.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Default RE: NY Blaze Orange Bill

I found the bill. It is A07774.

If anyone wants to see the wording of the bill:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07774
Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Spike

+Deer cant see orange. Period. In my opinion it would be idiotic not to wear it during gun seasons. I hope the law is a go.. It would be about time.
My .02
Old 12-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Well a doe this year picked up my exact location in the tree before I got a chance to even move, as soon as I made the slightest movement to pick up my gun the deer was off into the hemlocks in front of the stand. The wind was blowing in the exact opposite direction from where they were, so it is obvious they didn't wind me. I don't care what studies say, deer can differentiate BO from the regular environment.

A few years ago when my mom was deer hunting, she fell asleep at the base of a tree and was sleeping for a good 3 hours. She was wearing nothing but BO from head to toe. She woke up to two does three feet away from her trying to figure out what she was, the deer were so close that when they snorted at her it was like being sprayed with water. She never moved, therefore the deer didn't spook. I would think if the deer could smell her, they wouldn't be three feet away. So you tell me why the deer would know if she was there if they couldn't pick up on the BO.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: djgj200

Well a doe this year picked up my exact location in the tree before I got a chance to even move, as soon as I made the slightest movement to pick up my gun the deer was off into the hemlocks in front of the stand. The wind was blowing in the exact opposite direction from where they were, so it is obvious they didn't wind me. I don't care what studies say, deer can differentiate BO from the regular environment.

A few years ago when my mom was deer hunting, she fell asleep at the base of a tree and was sleeping for a good 3 hours. She was wearing nothing but BO from head to toe. She woke up to two does three feet away from her trying to figure out what she was, the deer were so close that when they snorted at her it was like being sprayed with water. She never moved, therefore the deer didn't spook. I would think if the deer could smell her, they wouldn't be three feet away. So you tell me why the deer would know if she was there if they couldn't pick up on the BO.
I have had many deer withing a few feet of me that could not see me and I wear blaze orange every time I hunt. They can't see orange as their eyes do not have the necessary receptors to see orange. What they can see is an outline that is not natural to the surroundings. That is probably what the doe saw on you when it spooked. Also, if BO spooks a deer, the one that came to your mom would have run away, not come to investigate. Again, it was most likely the outline they saw.

FWIW, I hope that a BO law is passed. It is crazy for anyone to be hunting during gun season without orange on.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

supposable they got this new BO coming out that is a little different. something about they manipulated the UV signature so you blend in better with the color tones of the woods. don't know if this would help break up your outline but at least we got kids some were in some college testing different blaze camos to a deers sight.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jimmy the foot

supposable they got this new BO coming out that is a little different. something about they manipulated the UV signature so you blend in better with the color tones of the woods. don't know if this would help break up your outline but at least we got kids some were in some college testing different blaze camos to a deers sight.
Ding Din Ding...we have a winner. A lot of the debate on BO came from the UV issue.

They certainly don't se the orange...instead it is the UV rays that the material puts off. Regular hunting clothes suffer from this too, as I understand it, but the orange intesifies or makes it more noticeable to deer. This is very complex stuff, and it is still being studied.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm... the governemnt telling us more of what we can and can't do?!? im shocked!!!

i wear orange deer hunting, but i dont think they should tell us what to wear, it shoudl be the hunter's decision. Or mandatory for hunters under 18. something liek that. If you dont wear orange, and you get shot, its your fault. why have a law that forces me to get out my measuring tape and find out if i ahve enough orange on??
Old 12-16-2005, 10:42 PM

i think if your shot its not your fault even if your not wearing BO. Unless your wearing a deer costume that is. you should ALWAYS be able to tell what your target is.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 PM

I have had many deer within feet of me on the ground.........and a stones throw from my stand and never been spotted wearing orange. They can't see it............I have also been busted many times wearing full camo.........If you get busted it is because you moved or they can see your big blob sillouette that shouldn't be there.

Quick Reply: NY Blaze Orange Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.