Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Great News in PA >

Great News in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Great News in PA

Old 12-15-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Great News in PA

Mentored Youth Hunt Bill on Rendell's desk to be signed.

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance
801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229
Ph. 614/888-4868 • Fax 614/888-0326

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Dec. 14, 2005
Beth Ruth (614) 888-4868 ext. 214

Pennsylvania Families Afield Bill Clears Legislature, Awaits Governor’s Signature

(Harrisburg) – A Pennsylvania bill has become the first Families Afield legislation in the country to reach a governor’s desk. The bill is designed to encourage more young people to take up hunting in an effort to increase sportsmen’s numbers.

Today, HB 1690 was sent to Gov. Ed Rendell. The House of Representatives voted 195-1 to accept a Senate amendment that authorizes the Pennsylvania Game Commission to create a mentored youth hunting program. The bill is part of the Families Afield campaign, established by a partnership of sportsmen’s organizations to aid in the recruitment of new hunters.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance, along with the National Wild Turkey Federation and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, introduced Families Afield in an effort to increase hunter recruitment throughout the country.

The Pennsylvania Senate unanimously passed HB 1690 on Dec. 13. Rep. Bruce Smith, R-Dillsburg, originally introduced the bill to allow the hunting of coyotes over bait. Sen. Joe Conti, R-Doylestown, Chairman of the Senate Game and Fisheries Committee, attached the mentored youth hunting language to the bill.

“The success of this Families Afield legislation was made possible by the dedication of Representatives Bruce Smith and Ed Staback, as well as Senator Joe Conti,” said U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Vice President for Government Affairs Rob Sexton. “These lawmakers understand the value of Pennsylvania’s hunting heritage and are doing their part to ensure its future.”

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance worked with the Pennsylvania Mentored Youth Committee, led by the state chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation and the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, National Rifle Association and others to rally sportsmen in the state to show support for the bill.

For further information about the Families Afield program, call Rob Sexton of the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance at (614) 888-4868, Tammy Sapp of the National Wild Turkey Federation at (800) THE-NWTF; Steve Wagner of the National Shooting Sports Foundation at (203) 426-1320.

The U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance protects the rights of hunters, anglers and trappers in the courts, legislatures, at the ballot, in Congress and through public education programs. For more information about the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its work, call (614) 888-4868 or visit its website, www.ussportsmen.org.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: Great News in PA

Even if everyone on this board can't agree on the PGC, habitat, deer numbers, doe tags allocations, etc., this is one thing we can all agree on as being good news.
Will be great to get some more younger people out in the woods, to see what Penn's Woods has to offer!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Thats great. Hopefully everything goes as planned.

Zach
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I need some clarification. Is this the law/bill that would pretty much abolish the 12 year minimum hunting age in many aspects?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:39 AM

sorta/kinda... Some things being considered and needing hammered out.

1)Mentored Youth Hunting should consist of one adult, one youth, and one hunting device.

2) a mentoring adult permit and fee.

3) The age of the mentor should be a minimum of 21 years of age.

4) All mentors must provide proof of having passed the HTE, and be properly
licensed.

5) A mentored youth must be within arm’s length of the mentor at all times while hunting.

6) Seasons and bag limits should be set by the Commissioners and initial species to be considered would
be deer, turkeys, squirrel, and groundhogs – with other species to be considered where and when
appropriate.

7) The one lawful hunting device must be carried by the Mentor while in transit.”

8) “he Pennsylvania Game Commission should create 2 videos regarding
Mentored Youth Hunting – one for public service and one for use by the mentors.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 AM

So as I read it, the mentored youth can be of any age, but there would be special seasons established for this? However this shakes out, it is a step in the right direction. Anything that lets us get more youngsters into the woods and involved in hunting at an earlier age is a step in the right direction.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM

Not sure on if there is a specific season. Still some details that need hammered out.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idid this with my son since he was around 8. The only difference is he didn't get to shoot. Either did I...as he could notsit still...and we saw no deer.
Really didn't matter.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:49 AM

I know my 10 year old will be very excited! I think a lot of potential young hunters are lost somewhere between the ages of 10 and 12 while they wait to actually hunt in PA. Tagging along with Dad and not actually hunting is just not as much fun.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am unsure how I feel about this yet. I guess I will just have to wait and read all of the specifics first. Sounds innocent enough in general but the devil is always in the details.

Quick Reply: Great News in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.