Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Marylanders, How did shotgun/rifle season go? >

Marylanders, How did shotgun/rifle season go?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Marylanders, How did shotgun/rifle season go?

Old 12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Marylanders, How did shotgun/rifle season go?

Well, bow hunting was great. Got a 7pt opening day in Sept, two more doe and one 5 point. Then early muzzle was a nightmare. Rain, rain or more of it. Gun just blew. Passed on 16 deer first day. Then saw 8pt. Shot it and it ran about 15 yards on a nieghbors property. But I saw it go down. So 5 min later, I see the nieghbor peaking and juking around his stand to get a shot. And then heard bam. He said it got up and he had to finish it off. Yea right. I hit it with a 45-70 and made a fist size exit hole and blew out the last three ribs. He hit it in the guts with a 243. You know like it was laying down. And before I could get 50 yards, he was yelling he got it. I said whatever and figured no problem, lets me hunt some more. Well, I didn't see another buck all 2 weeks. And the last 4 times I went out, I didn't see a deer and about froze to death. This was mostly in Carroll county.

So it was good and bad. I would rather kill them all with a bow anyway.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

DeerWhisperer I live in Elizabeths Landing. I hunt the section of Patuxant River State Park off of Browns Church Rd. in Mt Airy/Damascus area.

I grew up in Glen Burnie in Fox Chase off of Hospital Drive. I've lived around here my entire life. How bout you?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I know where elizabeth landing is. thats where i take my kids trick or treating for halloween. I am not far from fox chase. I am right near obrecht and jumpershole roads.
I too hunted that area this year, my 1st time. saw lots of deer and even managed to shoot the 2 does from there. my son also got 1 there for youth day. I usually hunt millington in kent county but i started hunting with my cousin this year and he likes it up there in Mt.Airy.
I also started hunting Ft.Meade this year, see lots of deer but you gotta make sure you know what your shooting at there. They have antler restrictions in place.
You gonna anywhere special for muzzleloader this saturday? I have not decided where i am going yet.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:06 PM

5 does and 2 bucks.

Best season ever for the freezer. big doe with bow on the first am! Was 72F, flies got to it before me.. That is 3 of 4 yrs doe on 1st am! Early muzz, shot a spike, thought it was a doe following a fawn. Did not see a shooter buck until 11/7. On 11/15 took a 6 pointer, no brows, thought he was bigger, he was a mature buck 160lb. 4 does first week of rifle. 2nd week of rifle was great! 1 doe and had to pass on two big boys(farm withn one buck rule).

Bow - 1doe/1buck
muzzle - 1 buck
rifle - 4 does

should get at least 2 more, hoping for a big boy!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations. Where in maryland do you hunt?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

DeerWhisperer,

Have you tried Shaeffers Farm this year? I got my doe there but didn't see any legal bucks. Of course everyone I ran into that hadn't shot a doe yet was seeing 8 pointers and bigger. Talk about frustrating.

I wanted to go to D or M this Friday but the weather doesn't look good now.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

No I havn't. At 6'3" and 330lbs i stick to the ground, lol. I am a ground hunter and you have to have tree stands for shaeffers farm and central tract.
It's my 1st year hunting there and i have mostly stuck to hunting H. But the last 2 days of shotty season i Hunted K.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:24 PM

congrats guys, i shot a doe up at liberty in nov. then another 2nd weekend of shotgun on the eastern shore, other than that i havn't seen much. If you guys get up to the north tract. P and L are nice. P is real thick in most areas and L is reeeeaaal open. i have seen deer each time i've been down but no shooters yet. hopefully with a ml
Old 12-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

DeerWhisperer I'm going back to Browns Church Rd. That is the only place I have been hunting before. I would like to learn some other places but never get around to it and usually just end up hunting Browns Church.

I think I'm going to go ground and set up near the thick stuff. I am hoping that I can at least catch one moving in or out.

What tactics do you usually use for late muzzleloader?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Saxman1819

DeerWhisperer I'm going back to Browns Church Rd. That is the only place I have been hunting before. I would like to learn some other places but never get around to it and usually just end up hunting Browns Church.

I think I'm going to go ground and set up near the thick stuff. I am hoping that I can at least catch one moving in or out.

What tactics do you usually use for late muzzleloader?
I use the same tactics every time i go. If i seen deer there during rifle/shotgun season, most likely they will be there during the late muzzleloader season. Deer are creatures of habbit, they usually stick to the same areas.
I hunt areas where ive seen deer. If new to that spot, i look for deer sign and paths. If i hunted a spot a seen deer on more than 1 occasion that to me is a good spot. With the end of shotgun season last week the deer have had a little time to relax and maybe we will catch them off guard this weekend.
Don't know where i am going yet, but i will keep you informed on the forum. I may just go to Ft.Meade or maybe Millington on the eastern Shore. Mt.Airy is usually pretty cold and it's usually about 10-15 degrees warmer to the east. Man i can't take the cold like i use too.

Quick Reply: Marylanders, How did shotgun/rifle season go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.