Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyotes, anybody else seen them? >

Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

I hunted the whole week after the opening day at the Catskills. This year, as most of you guys, I saw just a few fresh deer tracks on the snow and in the majority of these tracks I saw coyote tracks right on top of them. Three days ago, I was going to my tree stand early in the morning, I saw 3 does and I heard coyotes howling within 100 yards away. To my surprise the deer were not alarmed from the coyotes. They did run away though (no high tail) within the next 5 minutes. It is the first time that I heard so many coyotes during my hunt and I believe that this has to do with the lower number of deer that we see in our area lately.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

I have seen alot more yotes and yote tracks this year. before I have seen them hear and there but this year there are alot more.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 AM

I saw 1 coyote in the woods, no shoot. I also came on a dead fawn downed by coyotes.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have seen 6 yotes so far this season. I took a nice female on 11/25/05. I have seen alot of tracks recently in the fresh snow. The day after i took the female, I had 3 come by me. We have not seen alot of deer recently and Im beginning to think the yotes are the cause. I will be after them after deer season!
MIKE

Old 12-06-2005, 03:33 PM

Yep, I've seen two while hunting. Here is one of them:

Old 12-06-2005, 03:50 PM

i have seen alot of coyote tracks... but havent seen no coyotes
Old 12-06-2005, 05:13 PM

Yep, seen my first one during bow season
Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 PM

i hear them yipping now and then befor dark... im gunna hunt he basterds this year.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Coyotes (and bears) are the reason why our deer herd is being decimated. I live in the country (in Catt county NY) and I know for a fact that bears and coyotes are taking deer regularly throughout the year... especially fawns. One night during a snowstorm last year I was in my driveway bringing firewood into my house. I had 3 deer walked up to within 20 steps of me before during around. When this happened, I thought, if I was a coyote, it'd be nothin' for me to run one of those deer down...even if to do it for the joy of it. In addition, I read an article that a coyote can run faster than a deer. How can a deer escape a hungry coyote. My friends in PA, it's not Alt destroying your deer herd (although, I believe he tried to), it is the predators!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

me too. i think these little critters take more fawns than we know about. it's about time the hunter became the hunted plus it will give me some clues on the local deer pop. in the off season.

Quick Reply: Coyotes, anybody else seen them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.