Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NYSDEC is a joke >

NYSDEC is a joke

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYSDEC is a joke

Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Default RE: NYSDEC is a joke

ORIGINAL: mlo3135127

I have nothing against killing a doe but ifthere areno deer inan area don't shoot the adult does. Who is pulling the trigger? Not the DEC! Just because someone has four tags they don't have to kill four deer.
Your right.........however, that is something that CAN'T be left for the general hunting population to govern themselves......it is up to the DEC to know and understand the herd densities and provide tags accordingly. If a hunter purchases a license and gets a legal tag for an animal I can hardly fault him for filling it. If filling tags is detrimental to the deer herd then the tags shouldn't be available. What the hell is the DEC for if we have to police ourselves and take matters into our own hands to keep them from destroying our herd?? That is what the DEC is supposed to be doing for us..........if we have to manage the herd ourselves then what is the point of even having a DEC?

The solution is simple........less tags. I couldn't care less if they imposed a statewide ban on shooting does for 2 years or more. Fine by me. That will NEVER happen though because they want the herd slaughtered down to minimal levels.......as long as they can continue to get gullable hunters to go along for the ride and keep buying licenses by believing all the BS stories they tell about ever expanding numbers......why would they change?

It's impossible for the DEC to know how many deer are in each area. It should be up the the hunter's discretion how many deer they kill. If you have no deer inan area why wouldanyone then go out and hunt to kill the last one?
Again.......in theory you are correct.......but when the DEC is giving out truckloads of tags to everyone in town this sends the message that they want a bunch of deer taken out of that area.........So I don't see how a hunter is supposed to not shoot anything when the DEC is telling them to shoot everything. A single hunter can not (and should not be forced to) make a decision of how many deer to kill based on it's effect on the big picture........that is what the DEC is for.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: WNY Bowhunter

Where in Steuben County were you hunting?
Hammondsport...........near Urbana.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Well, it is 12:30 and I just got home from walking all morning after an hour stand session and as expected it sucked big time. Me and my brother went.......no deer........about 4 inches of fresh snow and I could count the number of tracks found on one hand. When you can walk for about 3 hours in fresh snow and barely find any tracks you know there is a problem.

Can't wait to read how wonderful this deer season is going in the Sunday paper tomorrow

I wonder if we have the most incompetent DEC in the country??........How much worse could they be?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: salty

I hunt Northern and southern ulster county. The DEC has to stop giving slaughter permits to these apple farmers and letting all their buddies shoot the deer all summer long. They don't even pick the apples anymore.. I just dont get it. I can take anyone right now to a corner of one orchard and show you 15 dead deer.. it is sick.
If you ever see it again call the DEC as they are not aloud to just kill them & through them in a pile they have to bury them or give them to
a food bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

It's impossible for the DEC to know how many deer are in each area. It should be up the the hunter's discretion how many deer they kill. If you have no deer inan area why wouldanyone then go out and hunt to kill the last one?
Again.......in theory you are correct.......but when the DEC is giving out truckloads of tags to everyone in town this sends the message that they want a bunch of deer taken out of that area.........So I don't see how a hunter is supposed to not shoot anything when the DEC is telling them to shoot everything. A single hunter can not (and should not be forced to) make a decision of how many deer to kill based on it's effect on the big picture........that is what the DEC is for.

Yes this is what for the DEC is for but when they keep giving out tags then it`s up to the hunter`s to pass on deer in thier area if they think the pop is down. I got 3 does that are staying on the 58 acres I hunt and my wife and I have passed on them almost everyday. We hope atleast one of them is carrying a baby. If it gets any worse in this state I think us hunters need to come up with a game plan.

mike
Old 12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

Just keeps getting worse and worse around here. Deer numbers are so low that even the clowns at the DEC had to come clean and admit it because they heard the rumbles of an all out revolt by hunters statewide. Of course they blamed it on "harsh winters".......you must be freakin' kidding me. Harsh winters??......anyone who has lived in this state knows very well that the last couple years have been no better or worse then our run of the mill NY winters. I can't friggin stand when I see them force feeding this BS to NY hunters with a straight face and expecting us all to just nod our heads in agreement like idiots who don't know any better and will believe anything.

What a coincidence that these "harsh winters" just happen to fall right after record slaughters of deer in NY due to the DEC giving out permits by the truckload........they were either too stupid to realize they were giving out too many permits and really had no idea of the actual herd count or they were too busy counting the money from extra license sales to care. Now that deer numbers are so low that you have entire camps not even seeing deer they want everyone to ride out the storm for a few years until the numbers get back to a respectable level.

I have hunted for over 6 weeks now........perhaps more then I ever have in a single season before. At least 5 days a week with an average of probably 5-6 hours a day. I would say I have been in the woods for over 150 hours easily with bow and gun combined and there is still 19 days left to hunt including ML season. I have seen 1 racked buck in all that time.......that's right......ONE.....and he was a 4 pointer. I saw pitifully low numbers of deer......mostly does and 6 month olds. The rut was an all out joke. It hit right in shotgun season (which made the DEC happy I am sure) My brothers, friends, father, other hunting club members, and 99.9% of the guys I have talked with this year have had similar experiences.

This is not a public land sob story either. I hunted private land more this year then I ever have. It is just an all out joke..........and it's not funny at all.

I just can't believe they have screwed this place up so bad. The Saturday opener backfired right in their face even though they would never admit it. A lot of guys that used to take vacation for opening week didn't this year because of the opener on a weekend and thanksgiving on thursday. They hunted Sat and Sun morning and then went home and didn't come back until thursday (if at all). I have NEVER seen so few shotgun hunters in the woods after opening day..........I really think guys are just saying F' it after not seeing anything or hearing any shots on opening day and going home.......or not even going out at all.

I hunted 90 acres of private property in Stueben county for opening weekend and all the surrounding property is is stocked with the orange army.........heard about 6 shots all opening day and 2 were from my dad and brother.......sunday we heard and saw NOTHING. What a rediculous and embarrassing example of what the DEC has managed to do even to private hunting land in it's big buck capital. Truely a sad situation.

I cannot believe how hard I had to hunt this year to put meat in the freezer......I feel so sorry for the average Joe in NY that can only get out on the weekends or a few days here and there.......seriously, they should save their money and not even bother.......may as well spend the $68 on the powerball because the odds aren't much worse.

Can't wait to go out all weekend and see nothing again...........just got back a few hours ago after walking for 4 hours through yesterday's snow and not finding one single friggin track. Thanks a lot NYSDEC........thanks for being so stupid and ruining the deer herd in NY. At least PA got a smokescreen fake story behind the destruction of their herd........our DEC wasn't even smart enough to come up with anything better then "harsh winter"

Morons.
I seen one "spike" buck opening day at 7:20am, and 14 doe after that. Sunday, I seen one deer!!! Another spike!! No doe permits for my area, and I didn't want to shoot a spike on the opening weekend!!
Seen no other hunters or heard more shooting than the year before.
I agree with your assessment of our season so far in NY. I hunted 10 out of 13 days the begining of November during the bow season, hardly any deer seen. The rut was a joke!! Never heard any grunting, or seen any chasing during the bow or gun seasons!!! Seems that the deer hunting in NY is getting worse every year!! I don't know if it's a coyote problem, or that they have been shooting way to many does over that last 5 years?
But the DEC better wake up soon!!

Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts

I hunt 7F and I will say this is the worst yr since I started hunting in 1994. I also remember going out and any givin day seeing 20-30 deer. I saw 3 does and a 4 pt all bow season on the 58 acres I hunt.I don`t know what is to blame. I do agree that the DEC is giving out way to many doe permits, but we don`t need to shoot the does. In the11 yrs I`ve been hunting I`ve only shot one doe.The 6 guys I hunt with all believe that for every doe we shoot we could be killing one or two bucks. I also call in all my doe tags evanthough I didn`t shoot any. I just hope it gets better around here. I got 2 sons who want to hunt but do`t know if they will stick wih it if they don`t see anything.

Mike
I agree that is as bad as I have ever seen it BUT....

you are only adding to the problem when you call in DMP and you haven't actually filled them.

The DEC bases all of their decisions on harvest. Harvest a lot - there must be too many deer. Didn't harvest enough? OOps, there must be fewer deer than we thought.

By saying you got a doe when you didn't, you are leading the DEC to believe there are more deer than there truly are.

You should stop doing that.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think they are handing out too many permits, but if hunters are out there filling all their tags and then complaining that the DEC gave out to many, they should be blaming themselves for killing all the deer. The hunters have to take some responsibility too, along with the DEC who will hopefully cut back on tags next season.

what i dont get is how doe tags are used to control populations, yet every NY hunter can shoot at least one buck. A doe can produce two off spring, but a buck can breed several doe and produce even more offspring. Am i looking at this the wrong?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Hammondsport...........near Urbana.
I hunt one of the local wineries properties just outside of Hammondsport in Urbana but do most of my hunting about 10 miles or so from H-port . A couple of my uncles own 130 acres on one of the hills a couple of miles outside of Hammondsport in WMU 8W and its just loaded with deer. On opening day this year one of my uncles saw 4 bucks (3 shooters) and over 30 does, my other uncle passed up a couple of small bucks and saw over 20 does and my cousin killed a decent 8-pt and saw about 10 does. Granted they hunted pretty close together so they probably saw alot of the same does.Every day after thatall they saw were does and none of them have a doe permit for that WMU.From what I've heard...alot of the vineyard growers around the lake get nuisance permits and kill off alot of deer over the course of the summer.

As for today...we saw lots on tracks in every woods we drove and saw several does and a small buck but didn't put any on the ground. Too bad ya can't eat tracks.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: tj_cubin
what i dont get is how doe tags are used to control populations, yet every NY hunter can shoot at least one buck. A doe can produce two off spring, but a buck can breed several doe and produce even more offspring. Am i looking at this the wrong?
Yea, you're missing the big picture.

1 buck could service 100 does. we need does to actually have the fawns.

If we couldn't shoot any does, and only a few bucks survived...the herd would grow. The opposite is not true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.