Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 scared for husband's safety? >

scared for husband's safety?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

scared for husband's safety?

Old 12-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Default scared for husband's safety?

I need opinions...my husband loves to hunt turkey's and deer in southern MA, it's his passion. And I want to be supportive, but I am so scared that there will be some sort of hunting accident and he could be shot. Could other hunters please reassure me that this doesn't happen very often and most hunters are more responsible and won't "shoot at anything that moves" when they are in the woods.
My husband always tries to reassure me and tell me that he always wears his orange vest and I have nothing to worry about. Is he right or are there lots of stories out there about hunting accidents??? Do your wives worry too?
thanks
Crissy
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Default RE: scared for husband's safety?

Hunting is one of the safest sports.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:46 PM

hey mickeraby,with all the hunter safety stuff most all hunters know what their are doing. I hunt the northshore. Hunting 33 years no accidents
Old 12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
jf5

While nothing is 100% safe all the time. There really is little to worry about. All hunters in MA are required to pass a hunter safety course before obtaining a hunting license, and most are very safe.Also, MA deer hunting during thegun season is with short range shotguns rather than long range, high poweredrifles, so that adds to the safety factor. MA hasn't had a hunting fatality in decades depsite over 100,000 gun hunters out during the two week shotgun annually. Also, the crowd is more "spread out" with the expansion of quliaty deer hunting intoEastern MA.

Masswildlife reports a .00004 percent of injury/death associated with hunters nationwide. Thats safer than almost any other sport including golf!! Your husband has allot better chance of getting hurt driving to work.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

mickerbaby,

your husband would have a much higher probability getting into a car accident on the way than during the actual hunt itself...

wait a tick... your from MA...

scratch that... it would be an astromocical higher probability getting into a car accident.... :-) Sorry, i really couldn't resist that.

On a serious note, you have received some excellent feedback already. I think you should feel comfortable that he will be safe. Your obvious support will only help the situation.

Good luck,

Old 12-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

If your ment to be shoot you'll never be hung. Thats something to live by.

When your time is up it's up.Just hope your not on a plane when the pilots time is up.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats safer than almost any other sport including golf!!
If you only knew [:-]
I once hit a 7 iron and the shaft broke from hitting the ground and imbedded in my forearm. Had to have 15 stitches.

Another time my ball was lying in a hazzard just along the side of a creek. There was a steep rock bank in front of me. I didn't want to take a penalty and thought I could get it up and over the bank. WRONG!! hit the rocks and came back into my forehead. Pretty much knocked me out and may have killed me if hit in the temple. No cuts.......just a nice lump for awhile.

18th hole in a tournament a long time ago. I missed a putt which would have made me a pile of cash. Took the putter with both hands and rammed the head of the putter into my own head as hard as I could. I put a dent in my head about the size of a putter head.

A rules official backed up a golf cart once in a tournament and ran me over.

I have more sand in my eyes than there is on Miami Beach.[8D]

Golf is dangerous.

Anyway................... enough about golf. If your husband practices common sense he is fine. He has as much chance of getting in a hunting related accident as winning the lottery. Most hunters are safety first and are very aware of what is going on around them. I wouldn't worry a bit. Like others said, it's probably more dangerous for him driving to his hunting location.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you need more asurence contact your state DNR for some statictics.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:58 PM

thank you for all the feedback, it really does make me feel more comfortable hearing the stats regarding hunting accidents. Thanks!

Now if I could just keep my husband out of trouble while at the Patriots games, we'd be all set! hehe!

NY Bowhunter-your post was so funny, I never thought golf could be that dangerous! Try to stay safe!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:24 PM

Ican attest to golf being a whole lot more dangerous than hunting also.In fact just about any other sport is more dangerous than hunting. I played football baseball/softball, basketball and a whole lot of other sports and I got hurt 1000 times more than I ever did hunting. If your husband went hunting and you took a 100 mile drive in your carhe would be safer out huntingthan you are in your car. It is really nice for you to be worried about him though really.

Quick Reply: scared for husband's safety?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.