Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Bigger Bucks in Pa., where? >

Bigger Bucks in Pa., where?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bigger Bucks in Pa., where?

Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 AM

Default RE: Bigger Bucks in Pa., where?

Definitely bigger and more bucks now than 5 years ago. In Nov I shot a real nice 8 pointer that was 1 1/2 years old. 5 years ago all I ever saw were spikes. The spikes have disappeared in my area. A LOT less deer than b4 but certainly better bucks. In 20 years of hunting game lands really hard I only saw 2 or 3 bucks with over a 15 inch spread. Now I see them almost every 2-3 times I go hunting. I generally shoot a buck every year in archery and the racks have definitely improved. No deer left on the game lands but the bucks look better. Tough future for the sport. This herd reduction has helped the bucks that survive their fawnhood, but their is far less to see and the amatuer hunters are really getting discouraged by the whole sport.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:27 AM

Can someone please post some pictures of the large bucks you guys have seen or shot on PUBLIC LAND.

4C where I hunt is just a complete disaster. I love the idea of AR but the HRhas gone so far beyond it is just ridiculous. I understand you need a healthy herd but seriously. I saw one doe on opening day and my Grandfather, father, and cousinsaw nothing. This area is deep in the woods and has produced a large amount of deer for the past 50 years. I really think AR could work but you have to let some of the button bucks have a chance.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dirz1, i don't know what you consider large but i have done fairly decent on public land as you can see

Last years archery buck

This years rifle buck

Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Types of bucks before ARs

Might not exactly be what you call huge but better than i was seeing before. In seasons past i would see roughly 1-2 bucks with over 12inch spreads on public land per season and a bunch of small ones like this 5pnt. In the past couple years I have started seeing roughly 7-10 bucks with spreads wider than their ears.

Old 11-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Definately bigger and better bucks in Lycoming county. Stopped by several taxidermists and they said it's better than they've seen in years....

I also travel in my job around the area and although everyone said they are seeing less deer, which is not surprising they are reporting bigger and better bucks...

I will add in this area, it's all private land.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there is a misconception with older bucks meaning bigger bucks. Age alone can not make a buck grow a bigger rack. Genetics and nutrition play a much bigger role than does age. Our experience on our property has proved that to us. We own and manage roughly 600 acres. Most of our property is bordered by state ground where hunting is not permitted at any time of the year with the exception of a one or two day rifle only deer hunt.

We plant food plots throughout the property. It has taken many, many years to get to the point we are. We routinely see bucks in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 with 120" or horn or better. We also don't take any deer unless they are 8 points or better. We are trying to better at age judgement now, because the bucks are growing so quickly that its very easy to shoot a young buck sporting very respectable headgear.

While I agree that letting a deer get to another year is going to give him a chance to grow, but on public land, I don't see how this is growing bucks so much bigger than before. Sure, we'll have more legal bucks to choose from, but if you're in the field looking for a true wall hanger I don't see how its any different than before.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Estimateing a deers age on hoof. I don't want to put this wrong,But I believe it is possible to do so. If you been around deers all your life in the wild and harvest many of them, I believe you pick up the knack to age them on hoofs.
From the color and roughness of theire fur to even the colorand texture of theireantlers they sport. In the wild though I would have trouble estimateing the diffrence between a4 1/2and up because they rarely make that age. ButI am sureIt would be a close guess from seeing the traits from the younger deers harvested as they aged.

A well dieted doe and the correctage.As you said for bucks also apply to them for the best possible chance to get bigger antlers. Without food plots on public land I agree with you the antlers are not goanna improve.

More bucks than doe is also very possible in the future. I see it now on mainstream. Pennsylvania,Home of the Gay deer heards.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you would be wondering how old a 4.5 buck is if you saw one. You would be too busy crapping your pants. You wouldn't think anything but shoot. Good or bad genetics, a 4.5 buck would have a very heavy rack no matter how many points or how wide a spread. Age is the most important factor in antler growth, period. Aestheticly, genetics will factor in but a buck will not devote full energy to rack development until he is fully mature.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:05 PM

I disagree. Genetics is the main factor for bigger bucks.No diffrent than humans.You take 20pairs non athleticcouple and they have a child.Chances of a athletic child when grows up is slim. You take 20pairs of athletic couple.Your goanna have half or more of them being athletic.Genes isone of the majormain factor in growth for antlers.PERIOD

If it wasn't a main factor why would people on deer farms buy big racked deers or semen to breed with quality doeson theire ranch. Cause they got money to waiste? Common sense.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree,
There was a pic on here somewhere of a gigantic six point that was a monster. He obviously had bad antler genetics as he only had six points but his rack was long, wide and massive. I don't think the lucky hunter wondered how old he was or cared about his bad genetics. He only thought SHOOT! If I find it I will post it. Age made him what he was and what he was, was TROPHY. Age will overcome bad genetics and make a buck great. Shooting him at 1.5 years will make him terminated before his rack has a chance. Hamburger equals the end of antler potential.

Quick Reply: Bigger Bucks in Pa., where?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.