Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Coyote Planting in Pa...RUMOR >

Coyote Planting in Pa...RUMOR

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Coyote Planting in Pa...RUMOR

Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 PM

Default RE: Coyote Planting in Pa...RUMOR

My understanding from reading is,PGC did catch a yote pup in Pa.,They tagged it and collared it to try to find it's den.3 weeks later a hunter shot the pup and reported it with the tag no.The PGC said,the collar must of slipped off the pup.That is what I have read from what the GPC said about the tagged yote.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Host of Hosts

Just goes to show ya, for every rumor there's a sucker ready to believe it!

I hope your not calling me a sucker! Why else would I write rumor in the title and in the post? I guess I should have worded things differently. I wasn't saying I beleived the story, just that I think I could disprove it by requesting the tag/phone number. I hadn't seen this posted before so sorry for the repetition. I talked to the guy who told me the story and he said that the tag had to be mailed back to the guy in Colorado and his freind didn't write down the number. Yeah OK ! I guess I just found the source of the rumors.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:17 PM

Did some research here.I have seen 2 yotes in the last 3 years.Each one went 70+lbs.They are wolves crossed with yotes.Laugh. The yotes you see out west are puny to the ones we have in the east here. Did they migrate here? My opinion is not from the west..Reason,How can a yote triple it's size from the west to the east? Breed with dogs on the way.Unlikely,If that was the case then the ones in the west would be just as big as our eastern yotes from breeding with domestic dogs.These yotes that we have in eastern states are a cross breed between wolves and yotes.Where they came from? Canada..How else can they be so big here yet so small in west states.The thing to find out if they was stalked here is to find the first sightings of them.They would have to go thru NY.before Pa. and would most likely establish that state before moveing on to Pa. They could of been introduced here in Pa. to lower the deer population but I am not sold on that yet.

http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/necoyote.htm
Old 11-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Battle buck, I believe it is generally accepted there are two major subspecies of coyote, eastern (larger) and western (smaller). There is no mystery there. And as for the states or insurance companies moving them to PA to cut down on the deer populations, thats just ridiculous.

Just goes to show ya, for every rumor there's a sucker ready to believe it!
Exactly!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

No disrespect intended here - BUT - why doesn't somebody CALL the PGC and get the straight scoop on this Yote crap vs all these fripp frappin rumors!
Don't come back with some BS excuse - get the straight scoop.

We have Yotes in Delaware.We know they WERE NOT planted by F&W.They migrated here - thats natures way with yotes!! Do the research!!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Battle buck,

You have it right. The coyote in NY came down fron Canada after mixing with I believe the Red wolf. This is at least what I have found while reading.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree, laughable rumor.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:53 AM

Was the yote ever on the PGC protected list when they was first discovered here in Pa? Itriedto find that answer,But haven't had any luck on it yet.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 AM

It's been addressed over and over and over again......
Game Commission quashes deer-coyote insurance rumor
Monday, December 27, 2004
By Dan Nephin, The Associated Press

Did you hear the one about the insurance agent and the coyote?
So have the Pennsylvania Game Commission, wildlife agencies in other states and insurers.
They all dismiss as urban legend claims that insurance companies and wildlife agencies release coyotes in hopes of reducing deer-car collision claims.
"There's a lot of people that seriously believe that the agency has been doing this," said Carl Graybill, director of the Pennsylvania Game Commission's bureau of information and education. "The whole thing's pretty absurd."
While the agency doesn't track such claims, Graybill said wildlife conversation officers are occasionally questioned in the field about it.
It's illegal for anyone to release animals into the wild without a permit and the agency hasn't issued any permits to insurance companies, Graybill said today. Variations substitute other predators for coyotes.
Like other rumors, this one seems to begin with someone who knows someone who knows someone who killed a coyote that has a tattoo, ear tag or collar from an insurance company, Graybill said.
Graybill said the commission has asked that such coyotes be brought in.
"No one ever comes forward with any proof that it occurred," Graybill said "People can be very gullible, too."
Over the last several weeks, Erie Insurance Group has had calls about the issue.
"It's just a fallacy. It's just not true. That's just not a way that we would manage our risks," said spokesman Mark Dombrowski. Instead, Erie Insurance advises policyholders how to avoid deer by being alert in deer areas and using high beams when possible.
The rumor has been around for at least a half-dozen years and is in other states. The rumor came up at a conservation education summit recently in West Virginia, Graybill said.
"Many times, I've been pointedly asked that question by a number of individuals," said Ray Knotts, district wildlife biologist for West Virginia's Division of Natural Resource's Wildlife Resources section.
"We have never released coyotes and have no intentions of doing so," said Knotts, adding it's illegal to release coyotes into the wild in that state. "It's preposterous to the point of being funny, almost."
To be sure, deer-car collisions are costly for insurers.
About 150 people are killed in deer collisions annually and collisions cause more than $1.1 billion in vehicle damage, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Last year, Erie Insurance paid out nearly $60 million for 29,000 claims filed by customers -- about $2,040 per claim. Erie Insurance insures 2.4 million vehicles and deer claims account for nearly 40 percent of its comprehensive losses.
A companion rumor is that insurance companies somehow try to influence deer management practices to reduce the number deer, but Graybill and Knotts deny that, too.
Knotts said he thinks that unsuccessful hunters are simply looking for an excuse as to why they haven't bagged a deer.
"The coyote right now is just a good scapegoat," Knotts said.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 PM

People have to stop thinking in a box.This state has them this state

doesn't. They don't know what state there in.Look at a map. These and

all animals that range follow land contour, cover, food and space. As for

there size, my grand father used to call eastern yotes, brush wolves. As

for there population take up trapping or let a trapper use your land to take

off the surplus. I do this with fox all the time, it helps my rabbit

population and my beagles like that.
ORIGINAL: battle buck

Did some research here.I have seen 2 yotes in the last 3 years.Each one went 70+lbs.They are wolves crossed with yotes.Laugh. The yotes you see out west are puny to the ones we have in the east here. Did they migrate here? My opinion is not from the west..Reason,How can a yote triple it's size from the west to the east? Breed with dogs on the way.Unlikely,If that was the case then the ones in the west would be just as big as our eastern yotes from breeding with domestic dogs.These yotes that we have in eastern states are a cross breed between wolves and yotes.Where they came from? Canada..How else can they be so big here yet so small in west states.The thing to find out if they was stalked here is to find the first sightings of them.They would have to go thru NY.before Pa. and would most likely establish that state before moveing on to Pa. They could of been introduced here in Pa. to lower the deer population but I am not sold on that yet.

http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/necoyote.htm

Quick Reply: Coyote Planting in Pa...RUMOR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.