Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 RIFLE HUNTING IN NY >

RIFLE HUNTING IN NY

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

RIFLE HUNTING IN NY

Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 AM

Default RIFLE HUNTING IN NY

How do people feel about the change in NY to rifle being allowed to hunt deer in NY.I for one am against it . I dont like i have ever shot a deer over fifty yards. I think the just opened the door for more hunting accidents with people recklessly taking long shots and not being aware of whats out there behind the deer if they miss,
Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: RIFLE HUNTING IN NY

agreed! if they can't hit them when there close. how in the world are they any better at long distances???
Old 11-18-2005, 05:42 AM

where are you talking because it has always been rifle here in orange and ulster counties.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Spike

I think people are making to big a deal of this, were I live in northern oneida county, it has always been rifle hunting for deer, and as long as people know what there target is and whats behind it there will be no problems.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

This theory iscrap, there will not be more injuries. Last year, there were 34 related shooting injuries in New York State (http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/environmentdec/2005a/deerharvest032805.html), and in PA where they almost entirely use rifles, with a larger population of hunters, there were 23 hunting related shooting incidents (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?Q=166582&A=11). You have a better chance of getting hurt or killed by swimming or bicycling either way you look at it.

Rifles will not cause more people to be hurt, it's as simple as that. Now others may not like the added capabilities of being able to use a rifle, but that isn't for safety reasons.

With that said, I will be sitting in the woods tomorrow morning with my scoped .270 near Oneonta, and if I have a clean 300 yard shot at a shooter buck, you can be guaranteed I will take the shot.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:22 AM

I guess I don't mind the change to using rifles. I hunt and live in Cattaraugus County and I will use my .243 Win when stand hunting behind my house cause I have a number of shooting lanes from my stand that allow for a 200 yard shot but if I am hunting over to my parents property its all overgrow tree tops from being logged out and thick thorn apples on the other part of the property I'll be using my Remington 870 Express 12 gauge there. I guess as long as people use some common sense there won't be any more risk of accident. Just make sure that you're using the right tool for the job so your not risking hurting another hunter or unnecessarily wounding a deer.

Just keep an eye open for the orange behind your target and if you're one of those people that wear carharts or full camo during shot gun season with more than just yourself in the woods. You better duck or stay out of the woods.