Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Last Day of PA Archery - Report >

Last Day of PA Archery - Report

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Last Day of PA Archery - Report

Old 11-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last Day of PA Archery - Report

Because of obligations at home, we couldn't go to camp this weekend so I decided to hunt the woodlot at the end of my street in Montgomery County. At 6:00am Iwalked down the sidewalk and, within 100 yards, I was in the woods. I went and set up at the spot I scouted out a couple of weeks earlier. By 6:30, I had a big doe within 10 yards of me. It never smelled me or made eye contact but it knew something was up. It looked my way for about 30 minutes. It would put it's head down or look away for only about 5 seconds and then look back my way. It would take a couple of steps and then look my way again. I couldn't draw without getting busted. I had my bow half lifted up for about 30 minutes and my arms were killing me. When it finally stepped behind some cover, I put my arms down to rest. She never let me draw. She eventually walked off and never offered me a shot. It got my heart beating pretty fast, though. I saw a few more deer throughout the day but all out of bow range. On my way out I jumped a few big deer but didn't see their head gear due to the thick cover. I did see a rub on a tree that was about 5 inches in diameter. There's a big boy in there somewhere. I just don't know where......yet.......
Old 11-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Last Day of PA Archery - Report

Haven't been able to get out as much as I would like to being away at school that past three seasons. I made it out this evening...two smaller yearlings (I don't shoot yearlings) and a small 5 that I've seen three other times this season came by. It was great watching the 5 point follow the scent of the doe that passed through. He was zig zagging all over never once lifting his nose from the ground. At least I ended my season with some action. We just aren't seeing the numbers of deer around me here in the north, and it's not the antler restrictions, it's the doe tags and the crazy neighbors who shoot 7 or 8 doe per lot in the rifle season.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw my biggest buck of the year thiis morning. He was either a 6 or 8, but he was easily outside of his ears. Great looking buck, but he didn't come any closer than 60 yds[]. Thats all I saw though.

Guess I'll have to take my rifle out this year to get my buck.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least I ended my season with some action.
That's how I felt. At least I got out and had some action. Rifle season is coming soon and then there's the late season. Nobody hunts this local woodlot so I'll hit it again in the late season and the deer shouldn't be too skittish.

Two things surprised me, though:

1- For deer that aren't ever hunted, they are just as spooky as deer on the game lands.

2 - Although all the deer in the whole township are squeezed into the same 20-30 acres, it still takes some effort to find them.

Whitetails are not pushovers - ever!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i got a buck and 2 doe this archery season so i opted to just do some light pushing to my buddy today who is deerless on the season. did about 4 or5 small pushes . he saw some deer but couldnt get a shot til the last drive. He managed to see a doe with a high shoulder hit run by on one push , and we follwed her for a while but she wasnt bleeding or breaking stride for that matter so i think she will be OK , he said the blood was dried already so it musta been an older hit then today.

Well on the last push i managed to get a doe and a button head to go down the hill , they almost ran him over but put the breaks on at 5 yds , he put a spitfire infront of her shoulders and sumhow got lucky enough to put 2 tiny slices on the front of her heart , im talkin about 1 inch knicks. none the less she went about 70 yds and bedded down , so we finished the season off with a nice doe for him to get the first kill outta the way , now on to gun season with the rest of the orangecoat army!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a tough season.I saw 2 deer in about 90hrs on stand.Saw some good scrapes and rubs -just couldn't get on 'em.Looking forward to rifle season.Brother tagged a decent 8pt though--1st rack buck with a bow.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

i saw a one horn spike yesterday.. for the whole season i saw 5 deer. 2 doe, 2 spikes and a 4pt.and i saw 4 bear.. it was a tough season buti knew that going in it.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow you guys...I had one of my best seasons ever. I saw 30+ deer this year, and over 2/3's were within range (30 yds or less)...and 10 of them were bucks...yea I'd say my season wasn't too shabby.

Not to mention that I got to take my second bow deer this year. (A BB on 11/7) WHOO HOO
Old 11-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

The last day was kind of a dissapointment. I'd seen the same big buck twice the last week and thought i finally had him pinned down. But between construction going on about 300yards away and someone riding a four wheeler and shooting at stuff, i sat dark to dark without seeing a deer. Had a good year though, saw 12 different bucks and 90% of my hunting is done on gamelands in Huntingdon and Columbia counties.

Zach
Old 11-13-2005, 06:27 PM

Had to take honey out for our anniversary so I didn't get out the last day, but I am getting excited about bear season.

you guys think the rut has kicked in full swing yet? I don't think so not here in south central PA anyway.

Quick Reply: Last Day of PA Archery - Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.