Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any luck in CT

Old 11-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Any luck in CT

Hey guys this is my second year bowhunting and I would like to know how other CT hunters are doing. I hunt on state property in zone 2 I've been out 7 times and I've seen 1 deer and 2 porcupines. The one deer I saw looked to be this years young but it was so far away I couldn't be sure. If anybody else that hunts in CT reads this I'de like to hear how your year has been so far hopefully it hasn't been as bad as mine.
Good luck
Old 11-10-2005, 10:00 PM

Default RE: Any luck in CT

There are porcupine in CT? I hunt right over the border in NY, i have seen some BIG deer taken fro CT however.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in zones 4. I have been doing more in-season scouting this year than any other year in the past 20, the last 7 here in CT.

The unusually warm weather in September pushed them into a nocturnal mode, and the deluge (15" of rain!) of October really screwed them up. I was starting to see some nice sign before the rain, but since I've been scouting 10 trips and hunting twice, and the deer just aren't in estrus yet. About 10 days ago I was still seeing does mingling with smaller bucks during midday, with no checking or chasing...

I was out Saturday hunting, although it was more like scouting as I set up on a river bank to view the opposing field corner. A nice buck, at least an 8, worked a rub line at dusk.As of last weekend, I had only seen one scrape, and that was immediately after all the rains stopped.

Haven't been out since Saturday, headed out this afternoon and tomorrow. I think the peak seeking/chasing will happen this weekend/next week, during the beginning of gun season...
Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 AM

I haven't been bow hunting at all this year, but if I remember correctly zone 2 (at least the northern parts of it) has about the lowest densitypopulation for deer in Ct. Not that there is not deer there, just less then other places.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:13 PM

I dont think i've ever seen a porcupine... I'm right over the border too.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm from Mass. And I tell ya I have been seeing a lot of deer here bow hunting. But boy am I excited about Wed. in CT. Opening Day with Gun. I have taken some hugh deer there. I hunt in I think its Zone 5 Voluntown Plainfield area. I have privet and state land permits for the area. We do out best on privet land but we have taken some noce ones on state land too. Keep your chin up. I started hunting back in the days when people got excited when they heard some one saw a deer. There are more deer now then I can ever remember. It took me17 years of hunting before I got my first. I bet it won't take you that long. Good Luck MIke
Old 11-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Spike

I got 2 does in Goshen on the day of the big storm. I did everything wrong and just walked into them within 2 minutes after getting out my truck. The only thing I did right was to figure that they would be out in the rain. Hadn't seen much before that or much sign after that when I have been bird hunting. It does not seem like the rut is going. Usually, apart from sign, I see dead deer along the road every day. Not really seen much in the way of sign or dead deer this year. I suspect it will start getting going in the next few days.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:57 PM

There are NO porcupines in NY or CT. You probaly saw a chipmunk or a squirrel! hahahahahah
Old 11-11-2005, 06:05 PM

The catskills are in NY not CT. Last i checked thats what this posting was about. And trust me i've been there more then a few times. And anyone that goes there knows the porcupines stay in higher elevations, where i live on theCT border i've never even seen one. Nor have i seen one in CT... And if i were your dog i'd rather get stuck by a porcupine then deal with you in the woods.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:04 AM

The common porcupine can be found in most of Canada and the western United States south to Mexico. In the eastern United States, it can be found in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New York and New England.
www.nhptv.org

I'msure that I've seen porcupine in CT. The first one was up in a tree about thirty yards away and the second one walked directly beneath my stand so Ihad plenty of timeto watch it. It's quills were long and yellow and its body was black.

Quick Reply: Any luck in CT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.