Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 DE Archery Season - NOV >

DE Archery Season - NOV

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

DE Archery Season - NOV

Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 PM

Default DE Archery Season - NOV

Started this months hunting with an afternoon trip today. They were cutting the bean on the farm to the west so I thought it might push the deer to our cut cornfield. It did. Saw over 9 deer but they looped around me outta range. Same thing they did last week, and last year as a matter of fact around this time. Looks like its time too move. Saturdays youth gun day here so i'll probably just stay put in case the neighbors take any kids out, but next week I plan on at least 2 hunts before Shotgun comes in. Unless I see something radically different saturday, i'll be moving to a ground set up in hopes of a close encounter ambush. I wish I could be more optomistic, but the same thing has happened the last 2 years and moving didnt help. Oh well, maybe it'll be different this year.

If it were gun season today, I would have one hanging right now. With 4 mins left in legal shooting time, i had a nice big doe come within 25yds of the the stand. It was way to dark to see my pins so I was already packing up. Even in good light I couldnt have shot towards the field where she came by. Guess thats why bow hunting is so much more fun. The challenge!

This weekend is suppose to be quite warm. Anyone else heading out?
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 AM

Default RE: DE Archery Season - NOV

I was complaining to some guys at White Clay about not being able to see my pins either w/ 15m of hunting time left. They both had solutions to the problem, they used sights w/ a light worked into the fiberoptics. The one guys was sweet! The light was focused thru the fibers, and the only thing that lit up was the pins facing you, when looking from the back side of the sight you couldn't see any light. It was even on a dimmer!I looked forit on Cabelas, and BP websites, but could not find the onehe was using, they did have others w/ lights worked into the sights though. I have been following your posts for a while Duckmaster2, I have really enjoyed following your season. Keep at it, you will get one. Ihunt primarilyWhite Clay, and this is my first serious year bow hunting. I have 5 trips so far, but no luck yet. I have seen some deer though, sohopefully it's just a matter of time.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:11 PM

I have been following your posts for a while Duckmaster2, I have really enjoyed following your season.
You must have enjoyed reading tragedies back in high school English class.

Thanks though. I'm going to try and sneak outta work tomorrow a couple hours early and see if I can cut them off. The wind is doable so we'll see what happens. If I cant get out tomorrow, I'll see if I can talk my old man into going Saturday so we can cover multiple spots.

I always hit it hard right before Shotgun season. The farms around us get pounded hardonce the shooting begins. I usually don’t pick up the bow again until January when people either have their share of deer or have just given up. That’s fine with me. The last few years, I’ve seen more deer in January than Sept to Dec combine. I just hope I don’t have to wait that long this year.

Glad to hear you've gotten into the sport. Be careful, it’s addicting!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:13 AM

To Late, I am already past the point of no return. I'm already giving up other types of hunting, and fishing to go deer hunting. I see you are from Wilmington, do you hunt up north at all? I only deer hunt up north, I have a good freind who has hunting rights to a farm close to WCC, which has completely spoiled me, but I can only hunt when he is going, and his schedule has been crazy this year, so I have only been out at WCC. Were going tommorow a.m. though, I'll post how we do. I wanted to get down to some of the state/federal land around Smyrna this year, but that never worked out. I do a lot of goose hunting down at Bombay/Woodland/CC, but still havn't deer hunted those places. I've heard Bombay canbe prettygood. Good luck if you make it outtoday.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Duck....just wanted to drop a line...been working too much to hunt...times I have been free I took my out son for the doe gun days...we passed on some small ones....wife saw an 8 and 6 in my field last weekend...he was out there tonight at dusk.....planto get the bow in the woods Sat night for first time...hope you have a good rut/gun season this year....my guess is it is your time to drop a big one....good luck!

DJ
Old 11-04-2005, 05:13 PM

Im snake bit. All I needed was one more step, just one! Argh!

Snuck out and set up on the ground where I thought the deer were crossing the woods into the field. I was afraid I was a little too far north, but by the time I got down there, I didnt have time to screw around. So, I set up in an area that gave me four 15 to 20 yd shots if they came through. It was 3:40pm and I was ready to go. Forgot the bug spray, that was not fun. It is Nov isnt it?

Anyhow, at 4:25 I see a deer cut into the woods. As I feared, I was too far north and he went around me about 40 -45 yds away. But I did see horns and he was just pacing back and forth. So, when I lost sight of him, I reached into the pack and did a grunt sequence. Put the call away and got ready. Well, here he comes. Cautious mind you. Not charging in. It was a tall 6pt. Nothing like the monsters people talk about here, but it would be the biggest I've ever taken, gun or bow. Well, he slowly works his way towards me. He crosses infront of me, walks behind a tree, I draw, he comes around the tree 20 yds away, stops, broadside, but, yes but, covering his vitals is a thin indian grass bush and 1 stick crossing right in the middle of the boiler room. I'm saying to myself, "just one more step you SOB!" 2 mins its a staring contest. I'm thinking do I try it? To me he's a monster. But I said no way. That arrow deflects, cripples him and I cant find, I wouldnt be able to look at myself in the mirror. Well, when he does move, he pivots left, takes 2 steps and does a 180, looking right at me. No shot.

I hold draw for maybe another 2 mins and I have to let down. I do it slow but he's staring right at me. He sees me but doesnt bolt. Bobs his head a couple times, stamps his feet a couple times, then slowly turns and walks away. To add insult to injury, He does stop one more time about 30 yds away. His head and vitals behind the tree. Gives me a full view of his guts. Then he slowly wanders away. He wins. When I look at my watch, its now 4:50. 25 mins of heart pounding action. But no venison.

I stayed until 5:15 when it got too dark in the woods to shoot. 5 more deer went around me. If anything good happened, none saw me leave, so they werent spooked. I now know where I should have to move too. So I guess there's hope.......

Anyone else having fun? I'll head out tomorrow but will hunt a stand just in case any kids are out with guns. Lets here some stories. Preferably sucess stories,,,
Old 11-05-2005, 05:10 PM

Well today was a 1st for me. I drove all the way down to the leased place just to turn around and come home.

The wind was suppose to be SSW. Well it was ESE. Take my word that there is no place to move at my farm to hunt an east wind in the evening. I think I have the deer patterned and the last thing I wanted to do was have them smell my stinky self and change what they are doing so I decided it wasnt worth the risk. A real let down after last nights hunt. But, my flashlight fell out of pack yesterday and I did find it so if there is any positive to all this, thats it.

The fall back plan on days like this is the public land down the road. Have multiple spotsfor an evening east wind, but today was youth shotgun so that was out.

I hope it works out. Im planning at least 2 more hunts before shotgun comes in. Its time to check out the weather and see what days they'll be.

How'd you make out this morning Sea? DJ, nice to hear you are still seeing deer!
Old 11-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went to Md yesterday and at 6:30 adoe comes running by with a buck hot on her tail just a grunting away. They were about 35 yrds out and couldn't see the rack as the lighting was still rather dim. A bit later a doe busted me from behind as I turned to check my backside from about 30 yrds. After that a spike walked right under me and didn't have a care in the world. You De guys, I'm made the move andam now a De resident liveing in Lakeshore Village by Garrison Lake. Looks to be plenty of spots around me if I can just gain access. Will work on that for next year and finishout this year in Md.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 AM

Heading out this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon. Last 2 chances before Shotgun comes in. Will post whatever happens.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

hi guys. i was at my mothers and decided to check an area that i have never hunted in augustine. it looks like a sandy beach with little pebbles and such. its at the end of the canal on the south side of the bridge. i walked part of it and there are tracks everywhere. I dont get it?? there are some crops in area, but what r the deer doing there. i am thinking about a decoy hunt there in a week or so. it is still swampy, but really odd to think the deer would walk these areas.

Quick Reply: DE Archery Season - NOV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.