Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 CWD; to eat or not to eat >

CWD; to eat or not to eat

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CWD; to eat or not to eat

Old 11-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Default CWD; to eat or not to eat

Since CWD has been discovered in WVI am forced to decide wether or not to eat any deer I kill or not. My wife and I eat venison year round, and are a little concerned with this finding. I was wanting some feed back on what others would do.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Default RE: CWD; to eat or not to eat

By saying CWD was "found in WV" does that mean in the local area where you hunt or across the state? In a word I would eat NO deer from a CWD zone but have no problem eating them from another area. In fact I'm digesting a nice backstrap as I type that I got in the Adirondacks (NY state). Our DEC has issued warnings in other parts of the state though...too bad too.
I am unwilling to take a chance on that sickness. Bovine spongiform encephalopothy, or crutzchfield jacob..mad cow, whatever you call it is too nasty for me to take the chance on. Besides who eats a well done piece of venison??
Old 11-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The contents of this post have been removed...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

eat it - debone the meat and do not use a saw to cut bones if possible.

CWD has been aroun out west for like 20+ years. - Have you ever tried Elk?

FH
Old 11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since CWD has been discovered in WVI am forced to decide wether or not to eat any deer I kill or not
if your not going to eat them, why even hunt?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

A officer for the DNR told my best friend the other day NOT to freeze any meat with the bone in it. He said they were really concerned about the disease and made him promise to debone all meat that he gets.

Also a guy I know in Virginia that has a meat processing shop that specializes in deer meat, got a letter from the state yesterday that he could not touch, cut up or take any meat from WV, even if it was already deboned he could not do anything with it. He said that other meat processors in the area got the same letter.

It really makes me wonder just what they arent telling us about this disease. I still want to eat venison i cant think of life without it, but it does have me worried and what is the use of killing a deer if you arent going to eat it.

Dave
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really makes me wonder just what they arent telling us about this disease.
If they knew something they would tell you. There is no conspiracy here. State biology departments are not controlled by any secret government agency.
It will only be a matter of time until the disease is fully understood. Until then all we can do is a take a cautious approach to the problem.