Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Md bowhunting

Old 10-29-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Md bowhunting

Hey guys, just wanted to set us up a new forum so we can talk about what is being observed over the first few weeks of November here in Md.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Md bowhunting

anyone hunting halloween night
Old 10-30-2005, 05:48 PM

I have to work until seven all week[&o], but I am hunting halloween morning. Speaking of which, I need to start getting ready for bed for that. Anyone seeing any rub increases, scraping activity, chasing going on? I have seen several small scrapes, but I saw a 5 point visiting one and nothing else.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted Sat nite and saw a a doe come busting by my stand at about 615 with a 3 point following close behind........I dunno if he is just young and dumb, but man it seems awful early for that type of stuff already. I planned my vacation for the rut (in 2 weeks) and if they are starting this early I may miss it. [:@]
Old 10-31-2005, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Saturday night in Washington County, shot a doe and within 2 minutes of shooting her, began "smelling" a rutting buck. He came in to about 40 yards and began thrashing trees, but wouldn't come into my setup or give me a shot. I snort-wheezed at him and he went nuts. Began thrashing more trees and circling me, but wouldn't commit to my setup. Eventually, he wandered off.

Also had a phone report from eastern shore that bucks are being seen dogging does down there in Dorchester County. Looks like the rut may be earlier than expected, but I anticipate this type activity to be put on hold this week with the warmer weather. I think the cool weather last week might have jump started some of the bucks a little.

Slice
Old 10-31-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday morning I hunted until 10:00 AM and had a 4 point come right to my stand but I let him pass. Then I had a spike, first year buck in my area for about an hour. I let the young fella walk as well. My buddy who hunted about 200 yards away had deer around him all morning; basket 8-point and other small bucks were all over the does around him. No shots for him until one provided itself and he missed![8D] He did have his little boy next to him in his latter stand so....

My other friend saw a big 7 point chasing, stalking a very large doe Saturday night.

I think things are about to bust loose but haven't quite yet. Cooler temps have helped things along I think. I know everything changed with the rutting moon on October 17th, that is for sure. But I think it is safe to say that most does have not come into estrous yet hence we don't see big boys running around like crazy. But I feel it won't be long.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw 13+ deer Thursday evening, but they were in groups and everytime I'd get to full draw, one of the "eyes" would spot me.

Friday evening, a single came in -- and I took her.

Halloween morning produced about 8 sightings. I passed on the shots at small deer. The biggest ones were again, in a group and one of 'em spotted me getting into position.[:@]

It was too hot to hunt in the evening -- and probably will stay that way for the afternoons all week.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 PM

I went out this morning and saw a mature doe with her fawn still. Saturday I saw several fawns without mothers so some have been kicked out of the house and some haven't. This weather is horrible!! At least we get an extra day this Sunday!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Saw a buck chasing a doe this morning before the heat kicked in. He was grunting profusely.