Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Could not Recover Doe... >

Could not Recover Doe...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Could not Recover Doe...

Old 10-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Could not Recover Doe...

I had taken by # 2 son out for Youth Day - 22 OCT 05 in NH. We were heading up to the a run we normally hunt and he sighted a nice doe about 80 yards through the woods.

He took a view in his scope andI with my binoculars and it looked like he had a good shot just behin the shoulder - which he took just as I was asking him ifhe could get a clean shot.

He said he saw thearea behind the shoulder and was sure hegot a god hit. The doe looked to be ~ 170lbs and was snorted at us when he shot - it took off down the moutain. We waited about 15 miniutes and began to look for a blood trail.

Atthe shot site, we saw some blood and then heard a couple of load-gurgilly snorts about 250 yardsdown hill. We began to creep along looking for sign and saw a very light trail, with some heaviersplotches (maybe a shots worth) every 50 yards or so. Wefound the snorts that we heard and the blood in the area was slighly foamy so I thought we had a good or partially good lung shot.

Long story short, we tracked this thing from 8:00am to dark and lost the trail going up high on another knoll. This thing seemed to be on steriods and was not laying down. We were careful to creep along and not push her, but we did not seem to be seeing any real serious bleeding.

Any thoughts on this?

Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Could not Recover Doe...

when you didn't see the dear laying right away should have backed off and let her lay... a deer can run for miles on one lung... should have shot seen she wasn't there let her lay, then go looking for her about 2 hours later....
Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 AM

I gutted a deer that only had one lung.. The other had been shot before.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Sounds like you pushed it...intentional or not. Unless you saw it drop, and especially since you were unsure of the location of the hit, 15 minutes was not enough time. I bet if you go back to the location of the last blood drop and fan out 100 yards you will find it.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nord....Sorry to read what happened, especially when it involved your son. Sometimes it's hard enougn to see deer in NH, never mind shoot one. I was out bow hunting in NH and didn't see any youth hunters.....maybe the weather had something to do with it.

I don't know what to add about your question. My feeling is either she was not hit hard or she was and was pushed too much. Hard to say. I knowfrom experience to sometimes expect the unexpected. I have tracked deer that I was sure I would find (and I did this verrrrry slowly) and never recoved the deer. Other times, the blood sign etc was very little and I had little hope of finding that deer. Only to be pleasantly suprised that he was never far away.

Tell you son that you guys did all you could to recover his deer but sometimes things just don't work out. The main thing is you both put in the time and effort. We owe it to the animal.

Good luck the rest of the season. Hope you both shoot a big one!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

What was he shooting?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agree pushed it ,should of waited.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

Model 94 30/30 180G Core lok.

Thanks for all the respones -Thisalso gave him a chance to read theforum after scouts!

One lung maybethe case - seems like not enough blood to have agood bounce around in the cavity.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:08 PM

you should of waited last year I did the same thing and I will not do that again.....

Quick Reply: Could not Recover Doe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.